• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New CCKW at the Ropkey Museum

paulfarber

Please tell me you are going to fix its errors before you display it. If you are gonna paint it in US Army livery, and say it was used in WWII, then please make it look like a truck that was in WWII.

paulfarber

Please take this as nothing more than free internet advice from a person you don't know:

So what if you got it from another museum, if you are going to put the National Symbol on it, and claim it is an example of a WWII 2 1/2 Ton truck the please take the time to get it right. They are not 'Deuces' or 'Jimmy's' and they didn't have a lot of the stuff that is on that truck now.

My point? There are enough FUBARed CCKWs out there that we shouldn't have them in museums.

I don't mean to disrespect your effort, or rain on your parade... but if you can't see the obvious issues (much more than the paint) I would put the money into some research first. Hint: fuel tank, brush guard, mirror, wipers (hard to tell, I might be wrong on them)

I bet I don't even want to look in the engine bay.

Its a nice truck. If you painted it in Norwegian livery I would not hesitate to congratulate you on your purchase. But you put US Army colors on it I think that you should put it back to US Army specs.

Every person/place with an MV says they want to honor the vets... how about starting with the MV and how it looked when they used it?

Again, these are my opinions and I may have much higher standards than most when it comes to CCKWs.

Last edited:

Garandfan

You should definitely listen to this guy! :cookoo: He knows what he is :soapbox: about! His opinions really, really matter because it wasn't hard for to live and learn. :hammer: So with that being said, you need to give that truck to me and I'll be more than happy to post pictures of that truck and let him criticize me for it. Anyway, I AM JEALOUS! T

Varyag

Man, I found one of those near me that a farmer turned into a grain truck some time back. I was thinking of making a bobber out of it and *gasp* painting it green. Only reason for the bobber is they already cut the frame and removed and axle that is now LONG gone.

That is a really nice looking truck. I really love those things.

paulfarber

You should definitely listen to this guy! :cookoo: He knows what he is :soapbox: about! His opinions really, really matter because it wasn't hard for to live and learn. :hammer: So with that being said, you need to give that truck to me and I'll be more than happy to post pictures of that truck and let him criticize me for it. Anyway, I AM JEALOUS! T
Don't forget the canvas water bucket. Its not 'original WWII' unless it has the water bucket on the pintal hitch.

Whats kinda sad is that I bet you have no idea whats incorrect for this truck. Yet make lame comments. Knowledge is a dangerous thing... in your hands I fear it would be deadly :)

Its a nice truck. Better than the ones that were in the HIDEOUS Doyle book. But it does not deserve to be in a MUSEUM as an artifact of war in its current state, simply becuase it does not represent a typical CCKW of the WWII era. I guess we should allow, say, a chromed M1 Garand in a museum as the rifle that won WWII? Who cares if its the 7.62 post war version, and has a poly stock with a Leupold scope..... it *looks* like a Garand. Those pesky details are unimportant. Who would care? I mean its not important that history be preserved. :roll:

Sorry I have standards and believe that museums should too.

Last edited:

wilco

That is the paint that was on the truck when we got it.

We pride or selves at the museum that almost everything we have runs and drives.

Just because it doesn't have the marking that were prescribed in the TM ( that were often ignored or modified in the field) doesn't mean that we are going to hide the truck out back!

As to the equipment.... Well it was built to have a 50 cal for anti aircraft defense so we shure as **** will but one on it!

Once we get it mechanically correct we will worry about markings..

Last edited:

paulfarber

Its not about the markings. There are some items that are on this truck that would not have been seen in US Army service. If all you see is a MG mount then your 'museum' is in name only.

Its the bed, brush guard, fuel tank and wiper (that I can see) that are in question. A steel body with an asymmetrical brush guard and early gas tank? NOPE. Did you at least take the Dutch installed battery cut off out of the cab? Weld back the pet cock opening? How about that passenger side mirror? Is the cab a correct for the MG hatch or was it simply added added on?

If you post a frame SN I can nail it down for you... but you do not have anything near a 'museum quality' CCKW.

Don't get me wrong.. it looks nice. But I would expect a MUSEUM to have something historically accurate. If anyone if going to be held to a higher standard, a museum would be on my list.

ETBaals

Hi
Very nice truck
Since Fred has been doing first class retos on everything from bicycles to Sherman tanks since 1975, i have no doubt it will be well taken care of.
I do not know if he will remember us, but please tell him Ernie and Ernie Baals from NJ say hi.

It is a shame that some people just dont get life if you are proud of your truck then thats what matters . Yes i am proud of all my trucks they were all give a job an servived it and that was a great task for some not all of them came back as with alot of our troops . But we are a proud country and if some dont like it they can keep thier mouths shut . Maybe you see somethings wrong with someones truck but if they like it an are happy with it thats what matters . This is a truck that managed to come back home in one piece and that is wonderful . Sorry some dont see it that way but you dont have to look at it everyday either. I am looking forward to going to this show and looking at what this man has gathered up .

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Id kill to have a truck that nice no matter what. And im HUGE into having things correct on my MV's so the public learns the right way but didnt he say they got it from Norway like that and they just got the truck and they havent had the time to restore it yet only the time to get her running correct? Why jump all over them about it yet, thats somthing you can wait and say when they try and show it and tell people thats how it was when it was in the Army. I also havent heard anyone say that they were going to show it like it is right now.

Last edited:

wilco

come see it!

If you come to our Museum and see it, how it will be displayed and see our other equipment, and then make comments on the trucks accuracy that would be welcome.

We have only had it a few weeks and it not even formally displayed.

Please don't disregard it from one picture and no background....

PS we have no chrome m1's either!

:deadhorse:

Garandfan

Put it in a museum as is!

I thought they used "tanker" Garands and 1903a4s with gas traps and leupold scopes in market garden.

All joking aside.... There are 2 different types of purists. The ones that want factory correct or the ones that want depot or armory rebuilds. I like my stuff with battle scars.

Last edited:

L999here

...practicality rules..

As with every piece of military equipment...whether US or foreign...the troops that used it made modifications of their own in the field. Best known is the addition of 'hedgerow-busters' on the M4 Sherman tanks following the D-day European invasion and the bust out of Normandy thru the hedgerows. I have never (in 34 yrs.) seen a piece of military hardware that was not modified or reconfigured..painted,polished,shortened,etc. by the guys that used it. This is especially true of military vehicles...especially combat vehicles. Viet-Nam gun trucks come to mind. I'm going to this MV show in Crawfordsville to #1...see the collection of military vehicles and drool myself silly, #2...marvel at the awesome display of armor collected by this family for over 30 yrs., #3...look at the particular truck that is in this thread and see how it was modified by the Norwiegins for their own use. That it is not 'stock' means little...it was used by another country.... and in that respect is a piece of history in itself. O...yeah...#4...to bring my APC down to get a little perspective from other's who know a heck of a lot more about it than I do....LOL....

B3.3T

Fred's collection dates WAY older than 1975. He started with a scout car in the late 40's. In fact he is quite likely the oldest/longest MV collector in the US. And he certainly knows a thing or two about CCKW's.

m5h61945

Nice Truck!!
David put out a good cckw book. Some people forget about what the G.I.'s could have done to it in rear maint. Here is my truck which is not 100% correct but who cares, it is WWII!
Bill

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks