• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New CDL Class A driver (Career)

gusto1

I probably put this in the wrong forum so if anyone notices this please let me know. I am 45 years old and have been around heavy trucks all my life with my family in the earthmoving and heavy hauling rigging and house moving.

I decided at age 27 to become a Professional Land Surveyor and got my licence in NC &SC (and away from the trucking and heavy equipment) but have continued to be around the trucks and heavy equipment by doing the construction staking. Back in 2008 my major client I had been doing construction staking for let me use their MackCH613 and Talbert 50 ton lowboy to use as a road test to get my CDL with HAZMAT and Tanker endorsement. Back in the late 80's before I started land surveying I drove dumps and lowboys.

Now with the economy on a downswing my land surveying business has become no fun to operate any more and I would like to get back into trucking. But with no over the road experience no body wants me. I help a small trucking company part time plowing snow during the winter and hauling prestressed bridge beams (sometimes 60'+ on styrecth trailers). Back in the 80's I hauled oversize underground fuel tanks we would dig out and houses, for my families company of which all have passed away.

I would like to start by being a company driver (possibly oversize overweight) for someone and later be an owner operator.
CAN ANYONE HELP ME WITH COMPANIES THAT MAY HIRE A PERSON WIOTH MY EXPERIENCE?

paulfarber

Schneider. Some people hate them, others love them. I don't think they are any better or worse than any other company. My brother started with them and as a starting point they get you miles. Till you get miles in your log I wouldn't expect anything super to come along.

You could always stumble across something, but most places look for miles and years accident free.

rorybellows

with the way the economy still is, id take anything you can get into. i was going to try fuel haling if i didnt get a gig doing what i just went to school for. i cant do alot of repetitive low lifting and bending because of a an injury, so food service is out. oh, try ups too. they make some good scratch, mostly thru ot. and pretty dern good bennies

RetiredNavy

You can check with Swift, CR England, Schneider and Werner. The big ones would be the place to start and get some time under your belt. I did that in 96 with Swift from Lewiston Idaho.

HonkyCat

gusto1... What about local steel fabricators or building supply? Maybe do some part time home fuel delivery? I operate a mobile crane for a roofing and siding supplier and couldn't be happier. I aquired my CDL A just in case I ever had to go over the road, but I have made a pretty good living on the local delivery thing on an hourly wage and I'm home every night and weekends to boot. I have been doing this for 17 years now... 14 years total with my current employer. When you break it down by the hour, OTR doesn't pay that great... the general rule about becoming an owner/operator is that if your wheels aren't turning, you are losing money... There are a lot of idiots driving trucks that have school and mileage because the "requirements were met"... however, smaller companies that have an owner you can sit down and talk to one-on-one will be able to appreciate the experience you have. Just my $.02...

Good grief...just realized this thread is over a year old...:doh:

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks