• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New clutch and truck stalls.

duecedodger

I installed a new clutch disk, throwout bearing and gaskets. The problem is after I put the transmission back in put the trans in neutral with the engine running and let the clutch out and everything spins. Also I tried to back up but as soon as I let the clutch out the engine stalled. Any thoughts?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Pull the shift plate off the trans and ensure the shift forks are where they're supposed to be.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the transmission in 4th or 5th gear; T-Case in neutral and engine off you should be able to turn the jack-shaft by hand, as soon as the clutch is fully depressed.

G.

ATPTac

Careful backing up with a misadjusted parking brake. It will self energize in reverse. You did not say whether it would move forward or not.
I had a similar problem with our truck when we first got it. I initially thought my reverse gear was going out, come to find out the spring had come off the parking brake shoe. It causes quite the racket and a LOT of hopping and bucking in reverse.

duecedodger

Ok I checked my truck today and the parking break was on. I do believe the shifter forks are aligned correctly but the shaft and what sounds like my clutch still spins in neutral. I don't know if it should do that or not.

KsM715

Parasitic drag ( friction from the clutch and pilot bearing) will cause things to spin while the clutch is pushed in while in neutral. If your in neutral and let the clutch out ( foot off the pedal) then yes the clutch and main shaft should be spinning.