• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Cucv fan, lots of questions

gt1009

Hey guys,
Just bought an '84 M1009 as a first car, and I have to say that I couldn't be happier. Just a few questions though. First, I would really enjoy a stereo, and I was wondering if anyone could reccomend one with a good fit. Second, I have no horn. Not a big problem for me, but my dad insists on me making a purchase, I was thinking of the air horn from the LMC catalog. Third, I get a little water coming inside every time it rains. My main concern with that is that i'm going to lose precious hot air in the chilly chicago mornings. Finally, I was wondering how to take the top off. It's a little late in the season now but come summer I think it would be awesome. I saw the picture of the one owned by the guy that runs the site and thought it was an awesome idea. If you can help with any of these, that would be great.
Well thanks a lot,
Greg
'84 M1009

Howdy Greg! Welcome to the site. We've got a good bunch here.
On the lower right of your instrument panel, below your heater controls is where the radios mount in the civilian models. Our military ones have a block off plate that you can take off if you remove the panel. Mine has the two holes and a rectangle in the middle for the old type knob and dial type radios. It shouldn't be too hard to open it up so you could mount a modern flatface radio there if ya wanted.
As far as I am concerned with horns, the louder the better. I am going to eventually mount air horns on my 1008 as well.
Where is the water coming in? By chance does it come in the tops of the doors, or is it coming in on the kick panels, near the floor vents? That's where my leaks are. I'm not sure about the kick panel leaks yet. The door leaks I'm pretty sure are because my hinges or hinge pins are worn, and letting the doors droop. The striker pins are real shiny on top from being rubbed by the latches when they open and close.
Someone with a 1009 could probably tell you better, but I think the tops are bolted onto the body. The top is fiberglass, and probably not as flexible as it was when it was new, so you'll want to be especially careful taking it off. It's probably stuck to the body pretty good, too.
I hope you enjoy your OD fever as much as I do mine!

rgguin

Greg, I have only had my M1009 since the summer so I am no expert. I took my top off a while back and you basically take out the bolts from the top and along the bottom of the bed rail. There is one in each corner that is hard to see. The one near the corner with a nut on it does not hold the top on. Leave this one alone. It is a guide or little pin that goes in the top to get it centered right when going back on. The top is not as light as I thought. My 15 year old son, my wife, and myself lefted it off after some prying to break lose the rubber seal. You will need to lift the top up a inch or so to get it off of the rear pin I told you about. I had luck laying in the back seat and using my legs to pus straight up on the top to get it started off. My seal was already leaking water and I noticed the bottom seal had become hard and brittle when I got it off. I put white grease on the seals after re-installing until I can purchase new ones.

Good Luck. :lol:

BKinzey

Yeah, the topper is a fun one! Heavy & bulky. I pulled the bolts and since it's just me I got in the back and literally used my back. I got one side to pop loose and then the other. Then I centered myself for balance and lifted the top and rotated it 90* the next step was to get out and drag it over the side.

If you want to do this seasonally I'd suggest you rig up something you drive under as my version could be rough on the fenders & top :wink:

BKinzey

Oh that's easy :D

Look at the window from the outside. At the bottom and in the center of the rubber gasket you'll see a 2" piece or clip. Carefully pry that out and you'll see a gap. Pull the center piece out starting at the gap all the way around the window. Then by working the rubber gasket from the outside and inside you be able to get a corner of the window loose and just keep working the window until it comes out. Then pull the remaining gasket off the top. You see some sticky black window sealant. You will get this on you, just try to keep it at a minimum :oops: :roll:

You can purchase more of this sealant at any auto parts store. I'm sure there is something better but I'll bow to others for suggestions.

Installation is of course in reversal.