• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New CUCV owner - Transmission and engine questions

sirmax123

Hi All!

First of all I'd like to sorry for my terrible English. I'm from Ukraine (country near Russia and Poland) and my native language is Russian.

Finally I got CUCV - it is in terrible state and I'm just start with repair.
I even can't identify my CUCV - it is pickup with 6.2D diesel.

It is not easy to get any parts in Ukraine, so I need your help to make right order on ebay or find parts seller in USA. I'll not be able return any part - it is very expansive to ship.

So, lets start.

1. Automatic transmission is in terrible state. I decided to replace it with new/rebuild and need your suggestions.

- As I understand, all 6.2 CUCVs have TH400 automatic transmission? How can I identify my transmission to make order? Can I buy any TH400 or are there any differences?
- Is it possible to swap it by myself? will I need specific tools?

2. 6.2 engine. Unknown state.
- I don't know how much money will cost to repair such engine in Ukraine. May be best way is get engine from ebay and swap? What do you think? As I find it will cost me near 2K for engine with fuel injection pump.

3. Wires, headlamps, etc.
- How can I identify headlamps? I need to replace one :(

4. Other
Any help is high appreciated!

Yes, I know - it will be not cheap to repair such car. But I really like it!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry for the delay in responding to your thread.

Welcome to SteelSoldiers.

There are a few members in Europe that may be able to help with parts and supplies.

Wolf.Dose is in Germany and has worked on CUCVs. He has a 6.2L in his M715 Jeep.

The transmissions on the CUCVs are the HeavyDuty TH400. There is a large HD molded into the top of the housing. Just about any 4wheel drive TH400 will fit. It will need to have the correct govenor and torque converter.

It is very easy to remove and replace. Also if you have mechanical skills it is one of the easiest transmissions to rebuild. Many have done it themselfs. Just basic tools to remove and replace.

The cost for a engine in the Ukraine is anyones guess. 2K for an engine and injector pump sounds reasonable

The headlamps are standard 12v units. Nothing special about them.

Make sure you visit the Cucv Wiki - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite (CUCV Wiki) that is at the top of the page on the CUCV Forum. All of the CUCV Technical Manuals are listed and many other helpful bits of information.

You need to download the repair manuals. You can get then for free. Here on this site or a couple of our members have posted them on their websites.

www.jatonkam35s.com
www.liberatedmanuals.com

The wiring diagrams are in the appendix of the -20 and -34 manuals.

Also checkout the CUCV stickys. It is where we try to post helpful tips and tricks.
Almost every question you will have has been asked and answered many times. The advanced search will become your best friend. Please don't hesitate to ask something that you can't find.

Read the TM 9-2320-289-10 Operators Manual to find out how a stock system should work. It is simular to the Operators Manual for Civilian vehicles. It tells you where all the lighs, switches, etc are located and what they do.

Three of the most important tools you can buy are:
Digital Voltmeter and know how to use it

12v Battery Charger
Battery Load Tester

Warthog

Last edited:

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Hello, and welcome to Steel Soldiers!

If your truck is a pickup, then maybe it is an M1008 model? If the original data plates are still present, then there should be one on the body that is visible with the door open, and another on the inside of the driver's door. The one on the inside of the driver's door would have the military model number, such as M1008, M1009, M1010, M1028, etc. The one on the body would have the Chevrolet number, starting with "CD". I'm attaching pictures of the data plates on my M1008.

Your English is not hard to understand. There are native Americans here who do not write as clearly as you do. [thumbzup]

We would love to see some pictures of your truck. We like pictures!

Good luck with your truck, and you have come to the right place for help!

Attachments

chevyCUCV

Ouch that poor truck...
If you arent afraid to turn nuts and bolts and get greasy, you can fix everything on this truck. If i can do it, anyone can.
I would check the classifieds here and there are a couple good surplus sites like FLMV, Saturn surplus, Boyce equipment.

And the unknow state of engine? Have you tried starting yet or did it just get home?

sirmax123

And the unknow state of engine? Have you tried starting yet or did it just get home?
I started it before bought but can't start at home - because I bought truck on south of country and water was frozen while I move truck to home.
Now I'm waiting for spring like bear :) to get ability to start engine.

Anyway I see leaks of fuel on engine. And I think it will be cheaper to get engine with fuel equipment instead fuel pump+fuel lines + parts to the engine.

And please explain what do you mean : FLMV, Saturn surplus, Boyce equipment - sorry but I don't understand abbreviation.

PS
And why my truck pure? What wrong with it?

chevyCUCV

I started it before bought but can't start at home - because I bought truck on south of country and water was frozen while I move truck to home.
Now I'm waiting for spring like bear :) to get ability to start engine.

Anyway I see leaks of fuel on engine. And I think it will be cheaper to get engine with fuel equipment instead fuel pump+fuel lines + parts to the engine.

And please explain what do you mean : FLMV, Saturn surplus, Boyce equipment - sorry but I don't understand abbreviation.

PS
And why my truck pure? What wrong with it?
Oh i see, well i do have a spare injector pump+ lines

Those abbreviation's are all websites that sell parts for CUCV's

I said that poor tuck because of all the alterations to it, but i was just joking.

rickf

I have never seen exhaust run through the sides of the bed like that, it is not really that bad looking. It was cleanly done. When you say the water is frozen do you mean the water in the engine? That would be bad! The problem with the websites that were mentioned is that they will ot ship overseas, I don't know about Boyce. I know Saturn does not and I am pretty sure Frontline doesn't.

Rick

sirmax123

I have never seen exhaust run through the sides of the bed like that, it is not really that bad looking. It was cleanly done. When you say the water is frozen do you mean the water in the engine? That would be bad! The problem with the websites that were mentioned is that they will ot ship overseas, I don't know about Boyce. I know Saturn does not and I am pretty sure Frontline doesn't.

Rick
I have man in USA who can re-ship any parts for me so it is not a problem.

And yes, I mean water in the engine and I k now it is not good.
So I think it is good idea to order engine.

HOWEY

Welcome...

Wow... I had no idea there were "hick trucks" in the Ukraine.
Hey Estum not cool.....:neutral: each to there own eh?

Sirmax123 Privet iz irlandii i dobro pozalovatj na sajt!!!

I like the look of that front bumper and the safari snorkle on your truck, can you possibly take a picture of your engine to see how its fixed to the air filter? is it a ex us army truck or its civilian counterpart? It would help us all out on the site to steer you in the right direction....

rickf

Wow... I had no idea there were "hick trucks" in the Ukraine.
I am guessing there are more than a few that would be interested in what your idea of a "Hick" truck is. Not everyone feels the need to keep it 100% military, they are basically civilian trucks after all.

engineman2

Welcome

Welcome to the community of cucv owners. I'm pretty sure your truck is a very modified cucv since it has lines painted across the front hubs. Some pictures of the engine and under side of the truck might help more in identifying what it is and any problems it has. Looks like a pretty clean body though, nice find.

sirmax123

Hey Estum not cool.....:neutral: each to there own eh?

Sirmax123 Privet iz irlandii i dobro pozalovatj na sajt!!!

I like the look of that front bumper and the safari snorkle on your truck, can you possibly take a picture of your engine to see how its fixed to the air filter? is it a ex us army truck or its civilian counterpart? It would help us all out on the site to steer you in the right direction....
Hi HOWEY !

Finally I visited garage and made photos for you.
As for me it looks good and I'd not like to remove snorkel.

But I don't know was it civilian or not.

All:
Could you please see photos - it looks like steering sub-system was replaced ans I have 2 shock absorbers. Is it some kind of mods?

Also, please see plate with truck details - could you help me to identify it?

I would like to order parts as soon as possible because it will take a lot of time to ship.

Attachments

Last edited:

engineman2

That certainly is a CUCV. Whoever made the modifications did pretty a good job. One issue I can see first off is on the air filter cover where the nuts go over the studs, there is a little air space which can allow dirt into the engine. Some washers would fix that quickly. You are right sirmax, the power steering has been changed. Looks like remote reservoir style power steering.

sirmax123

Looks like remote reservoir style power steering.
Thanks a lot for you reply!
But is it good to have such steering unit? Or should I replace it to the original?

Also, I added photos on album: Browse Album :: CUCV

As you can see head lights is in terrible state, I'd like to replace.
Could you suggest me how to order lights? (I'm not 100% sure, bay be correct name of this part is head lamp but I mean not only lamp bud reflector and body)
Also I need ashеtray and may be many others parts.

Could you please post photos of interior?

Also, could you please take a look on album - may be you can see something wrong

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks