• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New CUCV owner

AK_M1028

Hi, I'm new here and a new CUCV owner. I bought the truck primarily to become a work truck / wheeler. After seeing all of your trucks, I kind of want to restore it but think my truck may be too far gone.

It's a 1985 M1028. It began it's life in the military then ended up as a MWR truck with the State of Alaska. The guy I bought it from picked it up from an auction. Since then, he's converted it completely to 12V civilian. I hauled it home only because I didn't have anyone to drive a second truck. It was already titled through the State of Alaska, but the title said unknown mileage. The odometer says just under 11,000 miles, but I think it probably is 111,000 miles.

It was an arctic version so it had the swingfire heater (removed, nwo has a hole in the left fender) and green and white camo. You can see the original camo in the bed of the truck. Somebody sprayed over the white on the exterior with black and brown. The black and brown paint comes off with acetone, but the base green / white camo is CARC so remains.

Almost every panel of the truck needs some body work. The hood is bad has a couple creases and two cracks. He gave me a spare but it is bent a little also. The driver's door is dented with a crease in the worst part of the dent. The roof has a dip which may be able to be pulled up. The interior headline has a couple dents with 2 cracks on the dents. The right front fender has a little dent from where somebody must have brushed a parking bollister. The left front fender has a big hole where the heater was removed. The right rear panel has some slight damage could be fixed. The left rear panel is the best piece on the whole truck. Back bumper is in good shape. The front bumper is slightly pushed back on the right side and contacting the fender. Missing the tailgate. Missing the blackout lights.

Trying to decided whether to just give it a quick paint job and drive it as is, fix the original panels, or replace the panels. I've already bought some 16"x7" steel wheels and mounted 285/75R16 Firestone Destination M/T tires. It drives great. Only mechanical item I have to fix is the temp gauge. I'm guessing it's the sender.

It will never be a 100% restoration. Too much original is missing because it has been converted to 12V civilian. It has a civvy instrument cluster, 1 alternator, two batteries in the stock civvy locations, and the wiring harness has been swapped out to civvy.

AK_M1028

BTW, he also gave me another brush guard since the one on the truck is bent up. I'm also missing the rear shelter tie-downs. The decals came off the doors, but took about an hour with the heat gun and a scraper.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My reco...clean it up as best you can...give it a quickie paint job as MASSM35A2 said...and drive it as is. You'll go broke trying to fix everything...especially since you can get a clean M1028 retail for about $6K.

AJMBLAZER

Looks like a solid enough truck.

Mine however proves that looks (and crappy body work) can be deceiving.

I say find the problem areas and fix them. After that do the steps necessary to keep the truck from declining and then use it as it is meant to be used, a 1 ton 4x4 pickup.

Welcome to the club, it's a downhill (pocketbook wise) spiral from here.

AK_M1028

AJMBLAZER said:
After that do the steps necessary to keep the truck from declining and then use it as it is meant to be used, a 1 ton 4x4 pickup.
I've already used it to pull my 8,000# Bobcat out of the mud. With the body in it's current shape, I wasn't worried about brush scraping the side of the truck getting to where the Bobcat was. One quick pull with a 4" nylon strap and out the Bobcat came.

I can't wait to mount a hitch so I can tow the Bobcat. From searching here, it looks like nothing off the shelf fits. I have a hitch I'll modify to work. Also looking forward to making a multi-mount winch that attaches to the shackle points, either front or rear. I have a 12,000# Ramsey that will work great. I can't believe the front and rear shackle points are different widths.

AJMBLAZER

Frame rails widen slightly towards the rear I think.

Do a search here for my hitch build. Did it about a month ago with my father in law. I've got some pictures on my cardomain site.

I think...think...there's a write up over on www.ColoradoK5.com where a guy builds a front receiver hitch for his civilian GM truck. Would be easy to duplicate.