• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New CUCV

tymbom

Hello everybody. I've been lurking around this site for the last couple of months,ever since my wife said I could have an MV. I couldn't justify a Duece yet so I rescued a M1008 CUCV from GL. Its down in Barstow still, I'm waiting on the EUC. Anyway here is a picture. Just a quick question. I've seen in places where it is listed that these have a Detroit Locker or a Detroit No-Spin. Which is it?? Are they the same?? Thanks

Attachments

Bozor1000

Congrats on the win. The no spin and the locker are the same. The front axle is open with no locker. Depending on what you are going to use it for, you can always order the front locker for it. This m1008 you just won, huh? Tym, where is Seiad Valley at? Is it in SoCal? You also can order parts for it from the a civilian auto parts store. You will have to tell them that it is a K30. Any questions, you can ask me. I've owned a lot of these Chevy square body trucks, especially 4x4's. If I can't answer it, I have people that can. Steve

gocmndo

You will really enjoy the truck. Good luck with the EUC, some get them really quick. Then you get to wait for the SF-97. In the end it will all be worth it!

Bozor1000

Re: RE: New CUCV

gocmndo said:
You will really enjoy the truck. Good luck with the EUC, some get them really quick. Then you get to wait for the SF-97. In the end it will all be worth it!
yeah, I'm just waiting on my EUC to clear. That is the only thing that I am waiting on.

tymbom

SoCal??

Nawww, look a little farther north, past the Bay Area, past Redding. Go north until you get to Yreka then turn left at Hwy 96. Go about half way to the coast... Right out in the middle of nowhere. I can't wait to get that thing up here. I've got miles and miles of roads and trails to explore. Oh yeah, I told my wife I was gonna haul some firewood too. Is there alot of parts on these trucks that don't interchange with civilian stuff??

tymbom

RE: SoCal??

Sweet, I'm pretty excited abou this truck. It will be my 4th fullsize Chevy. I've had a '72, '75, and a 07.
CCATLETT1984, I plan on building my truck similar to yours. Where did you find the H1 beadlocks?? Is the spacer much of a problem? (Wheel bearings and stuff). Thanks guys.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I just did another EUC for a trailer. It was submitted to Battle Creek on 3/17, I have my invoice dated 3/27. 10 days with weekends, not bad. Too bad SF97s aren't fairing that well.

CCATLETT1984

The hmmwv rims arent too hard to find, there are two variants. one bolts together with 8-bolts holding the rim halves together and is only good for bias ply tires (up to 35psi), the second is held together with 12bolts and is rated for radials (up to 50psi).

The 2" spacers on the front bolt right on and are there to help offset the HUGE backspacing on the hmmwv rims. It puts the tire basically where the stock tires would be.

Attachments

86M10086.2L

why is it that almost every truck I see comming out of Cali always has all or most of the canvas top with the truck meanwhile they seem to be almost non-exsistant here on the east coast. some guys have all the luck...

tymbom

I was just happy to win the auction. There was only 2 M1008's in the auction, I picked the best looking one and bid on it. It's about a 12 hour drive to Barstow from here so I couldn't preview the truck. I put my bid in at 6:30am and went to work and tried to forget about it. I called my wife an hour after the auction ended and she said "I think you won, I can't tell...." I had to explain the whole process and everything just so she could figger it out. I plan on going down with a tow dolly or car trailer and hauling it back.
CCATLETT1984, I hate to keep asking questions, did you need spacers on the front only? I know the rearends are narrower than the fronts from the factory. Did you just not have a pic of the rear? Thanks

aboonski

M1008A1 owner says Hi!

Congrats on your win with the truck! I live in Florida and own property in McArthur CA - five gorgeous acres off of Day Road. Eventually want to build a log cabin on the property then live there six months of the year. Up in that area a CUCV is the ideal vehicle to have. I envy people who are fortunate enough to live in Northern CA because it is just beautiful up there and is just like going back in time. I'll be sure to look you up if we are ever in the area.

Cdub

RE: M1008A1 owner says Hi!

Great looking CUCV...........best of luck

not to change the topic of the thread, but how different are these from the civi trucks, other then some Military Mods....??

Thanks,

C'dub

Bozor1000

RE: M1008A1 owner says Hi!

The one I got was a couple of auctions ago. So I am just waiting on the paperwork to clear and the invoice to print up.

AJMBLAZER

Re: RE: M1008A1 owner says Hi!

Cdub said:
not to change the topic of the thread, but how different are these from the civi trucks, other then some Military Mods....??

Thanks,

C'dub
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=20556
80% or more of the truck is just a standard GM K30 pickup of the era. The starting and charging systems are 24v, the NP208 transfer case, and the specifically military additions are about the only differences.

K10A

RE: Re: RE: M1008A1 owner says Hi!

uhh , gm trucks in the 80s had an np208 or np205 in the HD trucks came in both mil versions and civie version

Cdub

Thanks for the info AFMBLAZER.....I had done a lot of work on those trucks during my Autobody years and got a chance to drive many of them as wreckers and flat beds. My fav was an 1985 Ford F-350.......man what a work horse that truck was...Then I got a 1987 GMC 3500 with a Holmes 1201 twin line wheel lift 4 WD.....but the only draw back was it had an automatic.....I always thought the manual was a harder puller then the auto.....but the 4 WD dullie would go just about any where......OH those were the days.........Hahahaha.......

Thanks for the info guys,

Cheers,

C'dub

CCATLETT1984

Re: RE: SoCal??

tymbom said:
I was just happy to win the auction. There was only 2 M1008's in the auction, I picked the best looking one and bid on it. It's about a 12 hour drive to Barstow from here so I couldn't preview the truck. I put my bid in at 6:30am and went to work and tried to forget about it. I called my wife an hour after the auction ended and she said "I think you won, I can't tell...." I had to explain the whole process and everything just so she could figger it out. I plan on going down with a tow dolly or car trailer and hauling it back.
CCATLETT1984, I hate to keep asking questions, did you need spacers on the front only? I know the rearends are narrower than the fronts from the factory. Did you just not have a pic of the rear? Thanks
No problem at all, you only need the spacers on the front, you can run them on the back but dont have to. They clear very well with the drums still in place, and if you ever swap to rear disc brakes, they protect the rotor from just about anything.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks