• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Cummins HMMWV project in the works!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I for one.. kinda like the sound of the 6.2 in the Hummers.... I know there crap to a cummins.. but its what I used while I did my short stay in the Army. Nothing like having to run out the gears just to get the armored up ones to get out of there own way or up a hill!
Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm pretty fond of a 6.2 clatter after having a 1009 CUCV as my daily driver for 10 years. They sound best when the cold advance is on. With that said, the sound of the 6.2 had nothing on my '95 Dodge Cummins Ram with a straight pipe. That was log-truck-beautiful!

always a cummins man myself,and lots of interesting info in this thread already-ping me if you need any info on 'continental' cummins stuff,im over the biggest hurdle on my cummins build,and now can start planning the layout and choice of parts,will be tuning in here for ideas regularly,-good luck with your build.
Thanks, I appreciate the offer. Good luck with your project too. It's going to be a beast of a truck when you get done.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Chris.
A bump for your thread and a note to say I shipped the HMMWV rear cover to you today. I hope for it's speedy arrival!

Also, I don't have the specifications handy or how they would work in your project but, I do know where there are some Allison MT 643 transmissions for sale.

[thumbzup]

Attachments

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey Chris.
A bump for your thread and a note to say I shipped the HMMWV rear cover to you today. I hope for it's speedy arrival!

Also, I don't have the specifications handy or how they would work in your project but, I do know where there are some Allison MT 643 transmissions for sale.

[thumbzup]
Thanks Ron. The cover arrived in one piece. I think the MT643 was the trans that was originally connected to my 6BT in the bus. It's a pretty tough trans, but it's a big unit and there isn't a direct mounted t-case as far as I can tell.

Is it done yet you Slacker?
I wish I could say that I have started on the project, but the HMMWV isn't even here yet. There have been quite a few issues with my hauler. He has had one of the worst runs of bad luck that I have ever seen. Hopefully, he'll be here on Saturday.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Ron. The cover arrived in one piece. I think the MT643 was the trans that was originally connected to my 6BT in the bus. It's a pretty tough trans, but it's a big unit and there isn't a direct mounted t-case as far as I can tell.

I wish I could say that I have started on the project, but the HMMWV isn't even here yet. There have been quite a few issues with my hauler. He has had one of the worst runs of bad luck that I have ever seen. Hopefully, he'll be here on Saturday.
HI Chris.
It's been a few weeks and I was wondering if you had any update of your HMMWV arrival.

Attachments

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ron, it made it into my garage last month, but I haven't really touched it since then. I have got to get started on it because my wife wants the garage back. I filled up a 2-car garage with the HMMWV, the Cummins on an engine stand, the engine hoist and all of the assorted spare parts. Hopefully, I will get a free weekend to work on it this month. I need to get the engine pulled along with the trans and t-case. Then, I can clean and paint the frame and under-body before bolting in any new parts.

Stay tuned!

VQ-1

nice, project...my buddy and i are running cummins motors in our hummers.
he has a 4bt in his 1985 hmmwv and i have a 6bt in my 1994 hummer-we both have 4l80e in there as well. a much better power-plant[thumbzup]

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well, I haven't made any progress since the last update in June. Numerous family commitments have taken precedence over the HMMWV. Now, I am up against a serious deadline because my #2 son is due by the end of the month and I have strict orders to get the HMMWV operational and out of the garage before winter weather sets in. I don't think I will have much free time (or permission) to work in the garage once the little one is here, so the Cummins swap is being put on hold. I'll keep the Cummins engine in the garage on the stand and tweak it in my spare time in preparation for the eventual swap.

The updated plan is this: I am picking up a low-mile J-code 6.2L in OH tomorrow morning and I am going to swap it in this weekend. I may just have it running by the end of the day on Monday. This evening, I am going to focus on getting the truck prepped for the swap. I need to get the hood off, the coolers out of the way, the wiring unhooked and the junk 6.2 yanked out. Tomorrow after I get home I will transfer any of the needed parts to the "new" engine and swing it into place. Sunday and Monday will be spent buttoning everything else up. I am a little disappointed to be delaying my Cummins project, but pretty pumped to actually work on the M998. Of course, I will take lots of pics and document the whole thing on SS. Stay tuned! :mrgreen:

TedG

Chris,
You can pull the engine fully dressed...it is tight but it can be done. Hopefully the old engine turns over so you can disconnect the torque converter. A preventative knuckle busting move is to install the oil cooler lines and adapters on the engine prior to setting. Putting them on after the fact is doable but PIA. Another thing I do is remove the engine metal mounts from the block (3 bolts each side). This gives you another inch of clearance when pulling and setting. Finally, consider a new tranny input seal once the engine is out (use a light smear of light grease for prelube) and please inspect the flex plate for any stress cracks.

Good luck and have fun!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Great tips, Ted! I am hoping to get the old engine out tonight so I can make sure I have all the parts I need to get this done before everyone shuts down for the holiday. Great idea about the input seal. I hadn't thought of that yet. This thing has been sitting for a long time so I imagine the seal is shot. Do you happen to have a Napa or other parts house number for it?

TedG

I believe it is: 6712NA call NAPA to verify. Should only be about $2 or so. TH400HD/3L80

I have pulled a fully dressed hmmwv engine that was locked up (5 gallons of water in it!) in about 3 hours.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Wow! What an absolutely gonzo weekend of HMMWV work! Friday night was spent going over the M998 taking inventory of everything and trying to create a plan of attack. I had already arranged to have a running LL4 6.2L engine pulled from a K20 Chevy at a wrecking yard in OH and was planning on leaving Charleston around 6:30 am Saturday with a buddy to go fetch it. We left town close to on schedule and made it to Reynoldburg in about 3 hours. The guy from the yard brought the engine up front with a forklift and sat it in the bed of the F350. It may have been a runner, but it was a filthy, disgusting, greasy wretch of an engine. The asshats managed to break the fuel pump, destroy the air cleaner, break the water cross-over, poke a hole in the driver's valve cover, crush the oil pan, bend a couple of injector lines and bend the front pulley when extracting the engine. It looks like they pulled it with an excavator and then rolled it back to the shop by hitting it with the bucket. What a bunch of idiots! Anywho, the price was really good and I didn't need any of the broken stuff so I strapped it down and dropped the hammer on the Powerstroke all the way back to WV.

Once we got to Charleston, we stopped at an auto parts place to pick up a few things including a can of Gunk gel to clean 15 lbs of crap off of the engine. $10 later the engine and the Ford were a lot cleaner. It turns out that the 6.2L in the old K20 was a GM crate motor. I guess they grenaded the original engine at some point and then dropped in a replacement. The engine looked pretty good after we cleaned it. Turns out most of the oil came from the puking hole in the valve cover and out of the open dipstick tube. I was feeling a little better about my purchase as we made our way home.

Once we were back in the driveway, my buddy, Jess, and I stripped all of the non-humvee engine parts off of the "new" engine and readied it for transplant. No sooner than we finished that, it came a big hail storm with pea to golf ball-sized hail, driving rain and 50 mph straight-line winds. It was nuts! We worked through most of the storm until the power got knocked out. I put an LED headlight on my head and cleaned up around the garage before collapsing in a filthy, stinking heap around 10 pm. The power didn't come back on until early the next morning, which wasn't bad considering the storm.

Sunday morning came and the prego wife wasn't up to going to church so I hit the garage hard about 8 am. I continued prepping the locked-up humvee engine and getting it ready for extraction until my buddy got there around noon. We hooked the cherry picker up, put a jack under the tranny, unbolted the engine mounts from the block and then a problem hit, the dang engine was locked up so I couldn't spin it over to get all of the flex-plate/converter bolts out. Crap... So, we unbolted the tranny and pulled the engine with the converter attached. It made a little mess with ATF on the floor but not too bad. Once it was out I was able to get the last three bolts out and set the converter on the floor for later. The rest of the day was spent stripping parts off of the locked up engine and transferring them to the donor engine. We finally quit around midnight with the good engine on the stand and looking pretty decent.

Labor Day morning started around 8 am again. I was alone since Jess had to work. I spent most of the day swapping out the moron-damaged valve cover, the moron-broken fuel pump, the fuel inlet and outlet lines, and the exhaust headers. I also prepped the heads for the intake manifold that should arrive in the UPS truck this week as well as straightened the injector lines and tidied everything up. The last chore before putting the engine in was to install a new trans pump seal and put the converter back in. My Dad and my father-in-law were at the house that evening so after we finished our rain-soaked cookout, I invited them out to the garage to help me guide the good engine into position. We managed to fight the engine into place and lined it up with the tranny using 2 jacks, a 2x6, and some brute force. Only thing left to do then was bolt up the tranny and bolt the engine mounts back to the block. It was kind of a PITA to get the mounts to line up with the block holes, but I got it done.

Yesterday, I spent a good deal of time shopping for all of the parts I need to get the swap finished. I had to order an oil filter adapter, adapter bolt, filter reducer, oil/fuel/air/tranny filters, oil pan, intake horn, 24v fuel shutoff, dipstick, engine fan, radiator brackets, thermostat, alternator brackets, power steering pump brackets, a hood wiring harness, glow plugs, belts, hoses, temp sending unit, cold advance temp switch, and a fuel tank drain plug. The UPS man is gonna love me! Only thing I have left to track down is a fan clutch and a 60A generator. Let me know if you have any leads on them! I have a 100A 24v/12v alternator by Leece Neville in the garage that I am hoping will fit. We'll see once the alt brackets get here.

Well, I think that's it for now. I am hoping to get it running this weekend. I think the only thing left to buy is a couple of Optima red tops. I have a bunch of pics that I will post later. Stay tuned!!

TedG

Awesome work Chris! That's how I like to go! Fyi the torque converter slips out with the engine if you pull the engine forward while lifting. Anyhow, I have a few fan clutches. On the motor mounts, did you loosen the 3/4" nuts so the brackets could move? This makes bolting to the block easier.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awesome work Chris! That's how I like to go! Fyi the torque converter slips out with the engine if you pull the engine forward while lifting. Anyhow, I have a few fan clutches. On the motor mounts, did you loosen the 3/4" nuts so the brackets could move? This makes bolting to the block easier.
Thanks Ted. Yeah the converter slipped out pretty easily and I had a drain pan ready thankfully. Please sign me up for a fan clutch! I didn't loosen the nuts on the mounts. I just fiddled around with the bolts while tapping on the mount with a hammer. Loosening the nuts probable would have been easier, but I was too addled at that point to think about it.

Here are some pics of the weekend's frivolities.

Attachments

TedG

Nice! I'll pull a fan clutch tonight. While the stack is out, its a good time to service the front brakes, brake lines and vent lines (if needed). Another item to consider replacing is the front crank oil seal. I am doing that now on a fairly new engine that has been sitting (easier to get to now than later). It also seems you need an engine grounding harness. You can build one or buy one. It is a 4 wire spider harness (5 connecting points) that connect the LHS rear block to the: starter ground post, the alternator ground post, the control box mounting bolt, and the fire wall ground stud.

PS. YOu should have uncovered the engine during the hail storm to help clean it!

Attachments

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Nice! I'll pull a fan clutch tonight. While the stack is out, its a good time to service the front brakes, brake lines and vent lines (if needed). Another item to consider replacing is the front crank oil seal. I am doing that now on a fairly new engine that has been sitting (easier to get to now than later). It also seems you need an engine grounding harness. You can build one or buy one. It is a 4 wire spider harness (5 connecting points) that connect the LHS rear block to the: starter ground post, the alternator ground post, the control box mounting bolt, and the fire wall ground stud.

PS. YOu should have uncovered the engine during the hail storm to help clean it!
Hi Ted,

I will definitely look at the brake system and vent system while the stack is out. It is really easy to access right now! Good point on the crank seal. It's a pretty simple R/R job with all of the stuff out of the way.

It turns out that I have the fan clutch covered after all, Ted. One of the SS members generously donated one to the cause. Thanks Damon! I thought I had the fan clutch actuator that mounts up near the firewall, but it turns out I will need one of those too. Any tips on where to buy one?

Ted or others, if it is not too much trouble, could you post some detailed pics of the engine compartment of one of your 998's? I would love to see how the wiring, hoses, CDR plumbing, brackets, etc... are supposed to look when I'm finished. Thanks!

Then engine that came in the 998 did have a big ground wire bolted to the driver's head. You can barely see it in pic 00014. Is that the right one?

Chris

TedG

Chris,

That is the standard engine ground and needs to be there. The MWO grounding harness is addtional and allows all electrical components to be on the same ground plane.

Pictures of a 6.2 I just installed...

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks