• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Cummins HMMWV project in the works!

CGarbee

Good to see that trailer behind your HMMWV... It looks a lot better behind the vehicle it was designed to go behind than the 'burb that hauled it out of Bragg... :)

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Oops! I forgot to say thanks to Cabell for picking it up and storing it for a few months. Also, thanks to Chad for dragging it from NC to WV! Much appreciated guys!

Txcruiser

Hey Chris, Just read thru this huge thread and Wow, Glad to see you picked up the ball and ran with it, the Rig is looking awesome and it sounds like your enjoying it besides the hard work.
Take care and be careful out there,

Rick

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey Chris, Just read thru this huge thread and Wow, Glad to see you picked up the ball and ran with it, the Rig is looking awesome and it sounds like your enjoying it besides the hard work.
Take care and be careful out there,

Rick
Thanks Rick! Good to hear from you. I have a whole garage full of stuff that needs to be bolted on to it. I'm hoping to get a little spare time to work on it this weekend. I'd like to get the high back seats and 3-point seatbelts finished. Then, I need to get my engine cover installed. My oldest boy wants to go for a ride, but he says it's too loud without the cover on LOL. I'll just get him some earplugs. I may try to get my valves adjusted and valve cover gaskets replaced and my PS Pump is hemorrhaging oil where it bolts to the vacuum oump so that needs fixed too :)

You still have the deuce RV?

Subscribed.....:)
Enjoy! It should be a long one!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here's a few pics I shot at work the other day. I really liked the 2-man config, but the 4-man will be good this winter when I want to haul the boys around. I might have to piece together a fuel burning heater kit if it gets too cold. :D I have a used rear curtain on the way along with a couple of rear doors. I am going to stick with the murdered out black theme and paint the top, doors and curtain with flat black vinyl top paint. There's a few more pieces of silver stuff that needs to be painted black too.

This winter, I am going to get my 12k Warn winch mounted up front. I also need to mount my airlift rear bumper and find a spare tire mount for it. Some extra weight in the back will help with braking and traction on slick roads. It's awfully light in the rear now.

Attachments

onewoodsrider

Your rig looks great, cant wait for that day to come for me lol. So can you actually paint the camo top with rattle can and have it look ok and hold up? Once again your hmmwv looks great. You did a grat job.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Your rig looks great, cant wait for that day to come for me lol. So can you actually paint the camo top with rattle can and have it look ok and hold up? Once again your hmmwv looks great. You did a grat job.
Thanks. Yes, they make spray paint that is meant for vinyl tops. It's more flexible than standard paint. We'll see how it works. I've been using standard flat black paint and it's been holding up pretty well. It definitely makes touch ups easy.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Update time! I've gotten a lot done in the last few months. I found an ex-Army HMMWV mechanic at a local repair shop who was willing and able to get some chassis work completed for me. He installed all new upper and lower ball joints, replaced all of the hub seals, installed my new parking brake kit, bolted on the airlift bumper/tire carrier/fuel carrier and installed the high back front seat kit. It sure was nice to get so much acomplished so quickly. I drove it to and from our hunting camp and those new ball joints made a big difference! Check out a couple of new videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXaxjQOBbq8&sns=em

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1itfghZKgI&sns=em

papaydsailor

nice truck. those cummins are awfully loud in the video. im in the process of swapping my 6.2 and 380l trans. looking for a quieter siesel engine replacement. i have already used a noise dampener inside and still give me a ringing in my ear after an hour drive.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
nice truck. those cummins are awfully loud in the video. im in the process of swapping my 6.2 and 380l trans. looking for a quieter siesel engine replacement. i have already used a noise dampener inside and still give me a ringing in my ear after an hour drive.
Thanks. It is really loud right now because the engine cover has a huge hole in it where I clearanced it to fit the taller engine and it is running 2400-2500 rpm because I haven't put my OD trans in yet. I have a built 47rh trans sitting in the garage waiting to be swapped it. That will really help the rpm's. I need to box in the hole in the doghouse with fiberglass and then insulate it. I'm also going to line-x the inside of the tub, which should really cut down on resonance. It'll still be plenty loud with the 4" straight pipe, but more tolerable. :)

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I finally got the passenger side 3-point seatbelt finished so I could take my oldest boy for a ride. We went out on some old logging and mining roads yesterday afternoon and he had a blast. The HMMWV performed flawlessly.

Next on the to-do list is installing the rear 3-point belts and starting the transmission swap. Once the new trans is in, I am going to start turning up the power on the Cummins. :twisted:

Attachments

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Steel planetary gears f/r, billet servos, extra clutches, performance VB, single disc TC, deeper 48re pan. Should be good for 400-450hp. Anything more than that I will have to go with billet input/output, triple disc, etc...

onewoodsrider

Steel planetary gears f/r, billet servos, extra clutches, performance VB, single disc TC, deeper 48re pan. Should be good for 400-450hp. Anything more than that I will have to go with billet input/output, triple disc, etc...
Did your builder tell you how much torque you can put through that transmission? Thats whats going to rip it apart. That transmission stock was only good for about 450lbs of torque which i never understood considering the cummins is at about 420lbs for teh gen 12valve. If you pulled it out of a 5speed or a bus that engine stock is closer to 450lbs of torque or more. How are you going to end up controlling the lock up and the overdrive? This is the same transmission that i am going to use in mine so i would really be interested in what you end up using.

Thanks

Todd

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Did your builder tell you how much torque you can put through that transmission? Thats whats going to rip it apart. That transmission stock was only good for about 450lbs of torque which i never understood considering the cummins is at about 420lbs for teh gen 12valve. If you pulled it out of a 5speed or a bus that engine stock is closer to 450lbs of torque or more. How are you going to end up controlling the lock up and the overdrive? This is the same transmission that i am going to use in mine so i would really be interested in what you end up using.

Thanks

Todd
Hi Todd,

Trans should be good for 900 lb/ft or more depending on how it's driven. I'm going to use Hobbs pressure switches from PATC to control OD and lock-up. I'll also have a lock-up switch in my shift knob and a OD Off switch in the dash.

onewoodsrider

Hi Todd,

Trans should be good for 900 lb/ft or more depending on how it's driven. I'm going to use Hobbs pressure switches from PATC to control OD and lock-up. I'll also have a lock-up switch in my shift knob and a OD Off switch in the dash.
How will you know which switches to buy? Are you going to install an in-line gauge to figure out how much preasure your building up? I am going to be bugging you on this one lol. I finally picked up my 12valve 180 p- pump engine, looking foward to the day when i am able to drive it and have it look as good as yours. The pictures you took with your son are very cool by the way. keep up the great work.

Todd

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks for the compliment on the pics. There are two test ports on the passenger side of the trans. One can be used for the OD and one for the TC. I will install a gauge and watch the pressure and the speedo. I may put a tach in too so I can watch the RPM's. Then, I can decide on the MPH when I want the OD and TC lock-up. Once I decide on the MPH, I can note the pressure and purchase the right pressure switch. The PATC switches are set for stock line pressure, but my VB mods will run the line pressure up higher than stock.

onewoodsrider

Thats basically what i will end up doing as well. I know that a different tire size can effect the outcome as well as gear ratios. So although your set up may not work for me it will get me close. So if you could take some detailed pictures of your build and the part numbers you used that would great. It would also be worth any type of beer via ups you wanted lol. By the way did the 5-speed just not pan out?

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thats basically what i will end up doing as well. I know that a different tire size can effect the outcome as well as gear ratios. So although your set up may not work for me it will get me close. So if you could take some detailed pictures of your build and the part numbers you used that would great. It would also be worth any type of beer via ups you wanted lol. By the way did the 5-speed just not pan out?
I'll be sure to take lots of pics and post up a good summary once the project is complete. I decided against the NV4500 because of the shift lever issue and I like driving an auto better off-road and on-road in these hills and mountains.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks