• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Deuce brakes locked while driving help

Sephirothq

While on the drive home the brakes on my M35A2 started to drag. The air pressure gauge was at 120 PSI. I didn't realize this until i stopped at and saw they were smoking. I couldn't get the brakes to release by pumping them. When i drained down the air tanks the brakes finally let go. For the rest of the trip i pulled off the air line to the wipes and had the air pressure controlled at 90 PSI. It seemed to be ok. What should i look for? Do i have too much air pressure? should i look for the air pressure relief? I had drained the tanks before i started so i don't think water is an issue. Let me know what you guys think.

thanks in advance.
dave

Jones

RE: New duece brakes locked while driving help

Same on a duece I had. The airpack wouldn't bleed off and that kept the brakes partially applied. There's gotta be a better way but my fix was to get underneath and loosen the fitting and that would vent the air out of it. This would sometimes last for 10 blocks and sometimes for the rest of the ride.

sermis

I had the same issue. Took the air pack apart and it was NOS with no issues. I discovered some trash in the master that was not letting it release. Cleaned it and flushed the lines.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Yeah, its one of two things. Either a blocked compensating port in the master or a faulty airpack.

emr

This seems to be one of the more common probs with a deuce, i have noticed,this is something to look out for, I guess, keep an eye on the air pressure, And we really should be watching all guages in these trucks, they seem to warn about alot of this, although when mine locked up i did not look or realize it was pressure untill after my headache from trying to figure it out. randy

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

When the brakes lock up because of a valve problem, open the "Service" air glad hand in the rear (driver's side), it's a direct connection to the large air cylinder on the Airpak.
Don't forget to lube the Airpak, small plug on the back, it will help to maintain the control valves.

sermis

When mine locked up I opened the air valve and it did not help. The trash in the master kept the fluid under pressure and they would not release.

ToddJK

Reviving an old thread, but some of this definitely rings true. I had one brake, front passenger side stick and it was grabbing hard. I had to work the pedal and the truck back and forth and it finally released. Gotta make sure the valves are clean so they work properly and too make sure your fluid is clean. Dirty fluid or contamination can lead to these issues.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks