• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Deuce in NH

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Some times it helps to type your post in windows notes or word, then copy and paste it to the box on steelsoldiers. That way you won't loose everything you just typed.

Welcome to the site!

Kaiser67M715

I would say occasional wood hauling is fine, the law states that PRIMARY use of an antique vehicle is for public functions(cruise nights/parades etc.), maybe don't load it as much as you would like/know it will comfortably haul.

biggest thing would be insurance, most classic/antique insurance won't insure it for anything off-road, trailering etc. -so double check on that(I know NH is lenient on no insurance, but liability is always best no matter what) !!this is just some guidance, don't want to see something get turned around through misunderstanding!!

yeah parts/trailers seem to be a little pricier then elsewhere, no clue why, but occasionally something will pop up(but its normally gone pretty fast)-I assume because of the wonderful Massachusetts chemical warfare with snow!

5ivepenny

Your best bet is to keep using th site features, and gradually you will find ways of doing things and become familiar with it. Be good to see some pictures of your truck..(that will give you something to puzzle out). As said don't forget to click the remember me box or all your work typing will be lost in the ether, though sometimes clicking "back" (right click) restores the the text.
Yes I think I figured out how to post pictures earlier?? Think I posted them in the "test forum" under "command post"?? But I thought I also put those same pics in an "Album"?? is this accessible for all members to see?? Still playing around and fumbling through a bit as that's the best way I learn. But also thanks to all for all the "welcomes" I have received. And WOW!! this site is huge. Probably shouldn't have tried to figure it out all in one day...got info overload now, ha.

5ivepenny

biggest thing would be insurance, most classic/antique insurance won't insure it for anything off-road, trailering etc. -so double check on that(I know NH is lenient on no insurance, but liability is always best no matter what) !!this is just some guidance, don't want to see something get turned around through misunderstanding!...
Yes! Thank you for the idea to check my insurance. NH is very lenient on many things...almost makes you feel "free" to make your own choices in life!!...Of couse NH taxes make me feel not so "free" oh well. I do have insurance, but will review policy and contact my agent to make sure I am actually covered as I remember thinking it was unusually inexpensive and agent was quick to sign me up with few questions on such a unique vehicle. I had more trouble insuring my Chevy 1ton dump a few years ago than the Deuce. Liability is the only thing I really worry about. I am a safe driver but *%&^ happens to the best of us. -Thanks

Carl_in_NH

If the employee at town hall is the one that messed up and set your GVW at 13K pounds, you can go back to that person and have them fix the issue. Having the title and registration updated to reflect the proper weight shouldn't cost you anything if this was their error - BUT the registration itself WILL cost more, since we are effectively taxed on the vehicle weight at registration time. Empty weight of a deuce without a winch is right around 13K pounds, so technically you are overweight with a full fuel tank and a cup of coffee. Add a payload, and some zealot with a set of scales could cause you a world of grief to sort out. That said, in all the years I've owned a deuce I've never received more than a wave from law enforcement in NH. YMMV. Myself, I run regular plates and get charged for full weight (23,535 pounds if memory serves), just so they won't have anything to complain about.

I'm with you on liability insurance - you could lose everything without it, just because some knucklehead did something wrong and ended up underneath you. Wouldn't roll out of the driveway without insurance.

Kaiser67M715

BUT the registration itself WILL cost more,
Only when registered as a regular vehicle, Antique is a flat rate.

Also they should be able to fix anything that is wrong, without cost, happened to one of my vehicles, added an extra zero, so I was clocked at 43,700lbs. missed that till we went to insure and the broker was ??? a little confused, wanted to put commercial on it(anything over 10,000lb is normally commercial insurance, with a few exceptions)

Carl_in_NH

Good point on the plate type - I wouldn't know, since I've not registered one as an Antique.

When I titled my second truck, the State screwed up the VIN on the title - the blue VIN verification form I submitted was correct, as was the registration the town issued. Called the State, and they told me to just submit the paperwork again with a new VIN verification form and pay for the title again. They really didn't care the error was obviously their own issue. Sigh. I went downtown to Town Hall and one of the town officials that deals with the State all the time called them up and gave them grief about messing this up, pointed out their mistake, and told them to issue a new title at no cost and without having to submit new paperwork. A week later I received a new, correct title from the State. This is one of the advantages of living and registering your vehicles in a small town, I suppose.

Last edited:

5ivepenny

Didn't even think about the title's GVW so checked and it is also listed at 13K. Guess I am ok as long as I have no fuel, no coffee and I guess the dog is out too then?? right "Carl in NH" ha ha. Not going to lose sleep over paper work glitch, but it's on my ever growing list of things to take care of now. Would rather have it correct. Thanks for the feed back all.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks