• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Deuce needs new main rear seal...

StoneMill

I've been lurking here for awhile now and found a truck with help from a few members. Ended up buying a '70 M35A2 from zb39 this past Sunday. Attempted to drive the truck from western PA near Slippery Rock to central PA in Lancaster County. Got about 40-50 miles with everything going well until it started slipping in 5th. Stopped for fuel and noticed oil pouring out . Apparently the rear main seal went out and was dumping oil all over the clutch (not to mention the rest of the truck and my buddys new wrx that was following us).

Called around and after a little frustration of being quoted $1500, we found a friend of a friend that was hauling a load to Clearfield and could haul the deuce back (still at an added cost I was hoping to avoid).
The deuce is at my brothers house now. Started checking things out tonight. My roomate is a diesel mechanic so it makes things a little easier and I feel pretty confident we'll have this thing in tip top shape soon enough.

Tonight we pulled the seats and covers out to access the tranny. Going to pull the tranny this Sunday and check things out. Hopefully we'll replace the clutch/pressure plate/rear main seal and get things back together without too much of a problem. Found a lot good info on the forums already for this project. Can't wait to drive it around town.

I think this is contagious. My brother and roomate are already talking about deuces of their own.

StoneMill

If anyone has tips on parts we'll need and where to get them, please let me know. I also need to replace window seals and clean up/recover the seats while their out. Might as well start painting the interior awhile too.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
read this thread "Pulled the Transmission today!!!" I pulled mine recently and replaced the clutch disk and did the rear main seal while I was at it.

Your problem may not be the rear main...it could be the input shaft of the transmission spewing gear oil into the bell housing. It is a pretty common thing with these trucks. Check it out real good. Either way you'll be better off pulling the tranny and checking it out. While you have it that far apart, you might as well go ahead and do the rear main anyway. It would suck to go that far and not do it, then find out a week later that you needed to do it anyway.

StoneMill

Appears to be motor oil. Brother drives for Roadway/Yellow and roomate is a diesel mechanic. Both think that is the case. Guess we'll know for sure on Sunday. Hopefully all will go smooth. I'm excited to get to work on her. I'm a novice at this stuff so it'll be a good learning experience for me. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about this truck. I'm sure there will be another one in my future when this one is all done.

Attachments

Jeepin46

Check your oil level a minute or so after turning the motor off. If it is to high, then you are going to leak.

Mine was leaking diesel from the Injection Pump (refered to as the IP) into the motor oil (a very common problem) and filling the crankcase... when it started to get above a half gal or so it really started to blow out the rear main which was replaced before I bought it. I could not figure out how I was growing so much oil!?! HAHA Oh yeah, my clutch was slipping as well.

I have the IP pulled and it is currently sitting on my bench... reminds me, gotta go out and rebuild it and stop typing stuff on the computer... LATER!

StoneMill

Pulled the tranny today. Much easier than I expected. Used engine hoist through drivers door since seats are out.
The clutch looks great, not worn but everything is covered with oil. Pulled the rear main and also the rear main carrier. I'm going to get a new rear main seal from NAPA tomorrow. Guess I have to make a new carrier gasket.
What else should I replace while I have the tranny out? If I should replace more than the rear seal, where can I get the parts. NAPA is 2 miles away. Saturn is less than an hour away if I need to run there for parts.
I plan to get parts tomorrow (whatever I need) and clean up the oil. Hopefully back together on Tuesday.

StoneMill

Planning to button this thing back up tomorrow. The rear main didn't really look too bad. Cleaned up all the oil. Replacing the throw out bearing, pilot bearing, and rear main.
In my reading I've seen some posts about the crankcase breather possibly being clogged. Where is this breather??? I can't seem to locate it online and my truck is at my brothers at the moment so I can't walk out and take a look. I want to make sure it isn't clogged before I start things back up tomorrow night. Can someone point me in the right direction??

StoneMill

I also need to find torque specs for the clutch/flywheel/etc... and shaft size so I can use an alignment tool for the clutch. I know there on here somewhere but I can't find them. Help.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Top of the motor, between the valve covers, hose/tube runs to the passenger side and down past the turbo to dump out. But, I've never seen a blocked breather. . .

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The alignment tool is a 1 1/2" dia and I believe a 10 spline tool, but it's got an odd pilot size....the pilot is only 3/4" on the deuce, and the standard size for most 1 1/2 dia input shafts is around an inch or so....I had a local machine shop turn mine down for me in about 10 minutes (I picked up an old input shaft from a truck salvage yard).

TM 9-2320-361-24-1 (available in the resources section) covers the whole process, clutch, flywheel, and transmission stuff. Listed right in the work packages for the installations of each component is the torque specs.

I'll let you know now, when I did mine I had to use my big 3/4" impact to remove the flywheel bolts, mine were so tight I was turning the engine with a long breaker bar....so I cleaned everything up, put loc-tite on the threads and put them back on the same way.

StoneMill

Awesome!!! Just printed out the appropriate pages. My roomate (diesel mechanic) is going to look for an alignment tool at work tomorrow. Probably just end up fabbing one up. He's also picking up fluids tomorrow so we might have this thing going tomorrow night. :-D:-D

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
if you do not already have it taken apart, be careful....That flywheel is HEAVY!!!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks