• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new deuce owner and leaky brakes

bigginstactical

I just bought 72 deuce and am trying to figure out all the odds and ends with it. I have noticed that there is fluid showing up inside the rear wheels although the brakes work just great. I was wondering if i should be concerned or is this a common thing? If not what parts to i need to replace? Any advice is appreciated thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

wsucougarx

Be sure it's not gear oil first. If it doesn't smell like gear oil then it's probably brake fluid. If that's the case, quit driving your truck until you replace/rebuild each wheel cylinder. As you know, the earlier deuces have single circuit brakes. If you loose one wheel cylinder, you will have NO brakes and very bad things can happen. So best to check out each hub and replace or rebuild those wheel cylinders. Best to keep it safe.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just bought 72 deuce and am trying to figure out all the odds and ends with it. I have noticed that there is fluid showing up inside the rear wheels although the brakes work just great. I was wondering if i should be concerned or is this a common thing? If not what parts to i need to replace? Any advice is appreciated thanks!
And yet we still don't have Dell's emotioncon......

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh yeah, read the TMs and get either the rebuild kits or new wheel cylinders if it is the brakes. Make a power bleeder or buy one from Motion.

197thhhc

Here is a short list of what you will probably need to repair on the brake system

1. rebuild/replace all wheel cylinders
2. rebuild/replace master cylinder
3. Learn to check your brake fluid everytime you drive your truck.
4. If the airpack is suspect. rebuild/replace it.

Then the truck may be safer to drive.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Its not the end of the world, just open the hub and see what needs fixed. If it turns out to be brakes, I reccomend looking at all of them because with the single circuit system, "if one is bad, the others are not far behind!". Could be as simple as an axle breather not venting and causing the gear oil to push past the seals.

Broke Down

The wheel cylinder rebuild kits are cheap, new wheel cylinders are about $35-$40. Take your time and get it right the first time. I have been guilty of looking and asking questions forgetting about the TM's listed in this forum, take some time and spend a few hours reading. Most of the TM's have illustrations explaining in detail what needs to be done. Good luck!

mckeeranger

Ditto to what the others have said. Figure out what it is, then take care of it. These trucks are big, but they're not overly complicated. If you can work on an old car, you can work on these trucks. Just remember pretty much everything is big and heavy.

I wanted to add, WELCOME to Steel Soldiers. I love the Port Angeles area. Ever been camping up at Deer Park?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks