• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Deuce Owner couple of questions

boblester40

Hi there..
I have just bought an 1959 non turbo duece workshop van and after a botched transport pickup have decided to drive the old girl home , she is about 200 miles from my home in the UK but i have a couple of questions .

I have two oil leaks on the axle in the wheel which i have no problem in sorting once i get home but will she be ok as long as top the diffs up to drive back , I know the grease can get washed out ?

The oil pressure gauge does not work and i really want this for the journey home so i am going to rig one temporary and remove the sensor , can anyone confirm the thread size where the sensor screws in ? it looks either 1/8" or 1/4"

many thanks

bob

hoop

I do not see a huge problem, just stop every 50 miles or so and check the temps of the diffs and outer bearings.
NDT has the pipe thread.

KsM715

Pop your gauge cluster out and check to make sure your gauge is grounded. (it grounds thru the bracket that holds it in place to the cluster panel). On the Deuce I bought a year ago the oil press. gauge was in-op and it was just a grounding problem.

boblester40

Well it all went well we got the old girl home after a 250 mile trip and she did not miss a beat :), loved every minute. of it , some jobs to do axle seals as mentioned sprag needs adjustment as she hops a bit when parking back and forth .

Picture is poor will take some fresh when it is light again . Colour is is going back to Olive drab !!!

I hope to convert her to a cargo bed as this will be usefull for me and i got her cheap ( so if any one wants a box in the UK give me shout or if anyone has a bed also ) , she is stamped 1956 on the manufacture date non turbo (not for long) multifuel , even has the cab heater !!

Thanks again for the advice and help

Last edited:

RAYZER

That's a very nice looking truck! (Sorry to go off topic) I'm curious ,are MV's such as the deuces and 5 tons hard to come by in the UK? Can you buy them from government auctions there like you can in the US,or are all of the US made MV's in the hands of private owners? What is the average cost of a m35a2 in the UK?
I have an extra bed for your truck but shipping might be a little expensive!:-D

boblester40

Hi ray..
there are a few around in the UK i am not sure but i dont think any were directly shipped to the UK from the US, mine came from germany in 2004 when the previous owner drove it over . the average price for a good one is around 5-7k i paid £2200 for mine as it needs a little work .

Ill take you up on the bed can i sail it over ? :cool:

Regards
bob