• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Deuce owner from Eastern PA

bz28

Hey everyone, just wanted to introduce myself. I just bought a bobbed Deuce off ebay from someone who said he was a member here. I'm from eastern PA, Catasauqua to be specific (near Allentown/Bethlehem).

I haven't picked it up yet, but I hope to be making the drive from North Carolina back home with it next weekend.

A quick question for any PA guys here: Does the Deuce have to get it's state inspection from a shop equipped for heavy trucks (17,001+ GVWR), or can a garage that only does standard inspections do it?

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
Welcome to this club. I am not sure about PA but I think if you tag it as historic you are exempt. jappeljr who lives in Delta would be the man to ask. I hope you can make Aberdeen. You can meet all of the green and tan paint junkie there.

bz28

Antique plates (30+ years old) I think are exempt from state inspections here, but you can't drive at night or in the rain with them. Classic plates (20-29 years) still need state inspections, but I don't think I can get a weight class sticker to tow or haul with them. So I was figuring on just plating it like a normal truck (which will cost almost $250 a year in registration fees!).

jayjetseck

register as a antique if you can then no inspection.. if not down class your weight as much as possible, maybe same as a one ton then anyone can inspect.. welcome to the og fever

tomesee1

you can get an antique plate you just need 4 pics of truck but you will have to find someone with a duece that is not bobbed they wont let you have the antique plate for a modified vehicle just tried. but theres always a way :-D

Srjeeper

Welcome aboard bz28, your truck will need state inspection and will probably only be tackeled by a truck shop. Not many car mechanics would even consider it nowadays.

Enjoy your ride....

bz28

Thanks for the welcome guys. I'll look into the restrictions again for historic tags, but I plan on driving this quite a bit so I'm not sure I can pull that off.

I can do my own state inspections (work for a Toyota dealer), but our shop can only inspect 17,000 pounds or less. And I don't think the deuce has a loaded GVWR rating written on it anywhere like all the other new trucks do (which is what we go by to determine the inspection weight). So I just wasn't sure if I could do it myself, or if I had to pay someone to do it. But I guess if the notary lets me register it at a lower weight, I should be able to?

I'm getting ahead of myself here though, I still have to survive the 530 mile drive home in it first.

Angus1

you will have to put it in a scale to get a lite weight first, then you will be able to reg. it a ton above the lite weight. the no driving at night on antique plates is false. as long as you have modern lights you may drive at night, but yoy are only allowed one day a week for pleasure and one day for a parade or show. and cannot haul anything. let me know when you get it home, I work in bethlehem.you can put it on a scale at work.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks