• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Deuce owner in tn

Sthrnamp

Great to finally be here, all! I have been lurking for months, but finally secured my own '67 deuce. Almost got it all the way home under its own power and brakes....until the brakes went out....lol. Just wanted to say "hey" and let everyone know that I will be asking A LOT of questions! Lol. I don't plan on "rodding" my deuce, but I do plan on larger tires and safer brake system.....as well as "quadding" the cab and attempting to make the ride a little less agricultural....lol. Love the deuce! Love the information that I've seen here. Great to be able to access the wealth of knowledge here. Looking forward to interactions going forward!

dmetalmiki

Welcome to the site, Hobby, friendships, And events to come,
What failed with the brakes?..and you say 'almost all the way home', How did you finish the journey?
post up some pictures of your truck, and also updates on the ongoing repairs and modifications.

Sthrnamp

I think a wheel cylinder failed about 15 minutes from the house. My wife was driving behind me and we parked the truck when I came to a stop in a parking lot and went to buy the closest auto zone out of DOT 5 brake fluid. Poured fluid into the MC under the seat and made the final leg of the trip home....where she has been parked for the last week until I can figure out how best to proceed with repairs.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a pretty darn good looking Deuce you got! The wheel cylinder is nothing (Unless your driving in traffic when it goes away) they are inexpensive and very easy to install. Since almost none of us know what the last few years of our trucks lives where before WE got them I would also suggest taking a hard look at all your brake lines and be looking for any leaks from the other wheel cylinders and replace as needed. If you pulling a wheel for a cylinder replacement I would also go through the bearing on that axle end and clean and re-grease everything and put in new seals. Make sure to check the vents on your differentials while your under the truck to or your likely going to be dealing 80/90 gear lube getting where it doesn't belong! Truck looks good and feel free to PM with any direct questions I can help you out with!

karl Kostman

Sthrnamp

Much appreciated, Karl. Fortunately, or unfortunately, I have been doing research,but not much actual experience. With these beasts. I am planning on overhauling all of the major systems (braking and electrical) but if like to avoid making a "Ford" out of a deuce. I don't mind the "cobby" nature of the truck, but some creature comforts (stopping, interior lighting and turn signals) would be nice....lol. And I prefer to avoid doing things twice. Does anyone know the best tire size to put on the original rims? I've read a lot about differing sizes but I'm all for learning the best run and tire set up for mostly road usage. The brakes are the BIG thing right now. But thank you all for the welcome. I will likely be bending your ears from now until I'm blue in the face. And with the will come multiple pics and videos (if they're allowed) Thanks again, all.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1100r20s are best if going with ndt tires, 395s if looking for floatation/traction.
I wouldn't put 395s on the stock wheels.

With stock wheels, your choices come down to 11.00R20 NDTs or G177s.

edit to add pics of G177s on the stock wheel, and 395s on aluminum MRAP and adapter plates.

Attachments

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Ahhh, forgot the stock rim statement. Yes that is no-good.

In stock form, the rear axle hubs are "in" so the centerline of the duals is lined up with the front tires. When you single out the truck, the hubs get flipped "out" to have the tires track in-line with each-other.

snowtrac nome

There are a lot of commercial 11.00 20's tube type tires that will work on your rims. The 900 20 ccnd tires look cool but traction really sucks on road and off road. had some Michelin 1200r 20 tires we had fielded to go on the stock rims in a super single conversion they worked pretty good on the snow but being so tall and narrow looked funny. In the Alaska guard I think most found their way on to 5 tons with duals, they were a little too wide on duce wheels for duals, the side walls got real close where the tire bulged at the bottom because of the soft raidial side wall.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
We have lots of tires to choose from in Cookeville. So not a far drive for you.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks