• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New deuce owner seeking advice

Jacob2027

Hi,
I recenetly bought a deuce for 2k. The only two issues I have seen with it is a bad alternator, (getting an upgrade kit coming) and the other issue is when my brother fired it up it ran really high rpm. Didn't runaway just reved high and held it.
It had sat for at least 10 years and took a while to finally fire over. (Went through a few car batteries cranking her) maybe 5 minutes of cranking max and them a shot of either because baterries where about to stop cranking her.
Does anyone have an idea why she may have reved high like that? I watch the throttle linkage and it moves properly on the outside of the fuel pump. It is an older m35a2. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jacob

Last edited by a moderator:

Welder1

Hi,
I recenetly bought a duece for 2k. The only two issues I have seen with it is a bad alternator, (getting an upgrade kit coming) and the other issue is when my brother fired it up it ran really high rpm. Didn't runaway just reved high and held it.
It had sat for at least 10 years and took a while to finally fire over. (Went through a few car batteries cranking her) maybe 5 minutes of cranking max and them a shot of either because baterries where about to stop cranking her.
Does anyone have an idea why she may have reved high like that? I watch the throttle linkage and it moves properly on the outside of the fuel pump. It is an older m35a2. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jacob
I would pull the shutoff cover and make sure the lever springs back to the 7 o'clock position. If its sticky that could be your issue. You can spray some penetrating oil and cycle it back and forth to free it up. When they are stuck wide open that is what causes a run away engine. You were lucky that didn't happen to you.

Jacob2027

I would pull the shutoff cover and make sure the lever springs back to the 7 o'clock position. If its sticky that could be your issue. You can spray some penetrating oil and cycle it back and forth to free it up. When they are stuck wide open that is what causes a run away engine. You were lucky that didn't happen to you.
Thank you, I was thinking it was something in there sticking or a broken spring. Planned to let it soak in marvel mystery oil for 24 hours with the injectors. Will make sure I open her up and check that at the same time. Used that to find pictures on the forum.
Not sure why I had tried looking for runaway engine issues and stuff before but never found any answers on here. Thanks again will update after looking her over.

Last edited:

Welder1

There is a procedure usually used for starting up an engine that has been sitting for some time. Usually change all the fuel filters and put some fresh fuel in the system. Check to make sure the in tank pump is working and bleed the fuel system up to the hydraulic head. Remove the shutoff cover ensure lever is free. Remove the air intake and have some one ready to cover the intake with a board in case of a runaway. The use of ether is not recommended can damage the engine.

Jacob2027

There is a procedure usually used for starting up an engine that has been sitting for some time. Usually change all the fuel filters and put some fresh fuel in the system. Check to make sure the in tank pump is working and bleed the fuel system up to the hydraulic head. Remove the shutoff cover ensure lever is free. Remove the air intake and have some one ready to cover the intake with a board in case of a runaway. The use of ether is not recommended can damage the engine.
Makes sense. I had come across the fresh fuel and fuel filters. The owner wanted to know if it would start to set the price. He got it on an old sawmill property and didn't want it. I intend to tow it home and then do all the fluids and filters, check air hoses and brake lines, seals on the axles, coolant and everything before driving it. Will do coolant, engine oil, and fuel system before attempting another startup. Just need to get a big napa shopping list together. (Living on a small island sucks because it is either weeks in the mail or the one small local napa 40miles away)

Edit: forgot to mention it. When I inspected the tank looking for damage and the electric booster I didn't find any wires or signs of a booster pump. And with the power switch on no hum from the fuel tank area like I have heard in some videos.

Last edited:

fasttruck

Does your truck have a non-stock fuel tank ? If the pump is missing there would be a large round hole on top of the tank and there would be no way to supply fuel to the engine as the feed is through the pump. The pump is there because Continental wants the injector pump to be supplied with fuel under pressure. Some trucks with tight fuel systems will run without the pump others won't run without it. Pic of stock tank with pump visible attached.

Attachments

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some owners fit an in-line fuel pump when the in-tank one quits (less$$$), so look for that as well. While normally they are located somewehere above and outside of the fuel tank, farmer ingenuity can place them anywhere along the fuel supply line from the tank to the injection pump.

Jacob2027

Some owners fit an in-line fuel pump when the in-tank one quits (less$$$), so look for that as well. While normally they are located somewehere above and outside of the fuel tank, farmer ingenuity can place them anywhere along the fuel supply line from the tank to the injection pump.
I did find the fuel pump. Thought I was looking at lines before not wires.most of the electrical on that truck was cut. Probably after the alternator stopped working. I pulled the fuel shutoff out. Can't get it to move at all by hand. Gonna clean it up and soak over night.

Jacob2027

0424201726_HDR.jpg
Used as a logging truck for many years. Toyo 10.00r20s on the back with good tread and split rims. Military 9.00r20s on the front on split rims. Need to change to the 10.00r20. Where does everyone here go for tires?

Last edited:

Jacob2027

Not that small!!! Know it well. I am jealous! Been in several towns around the island before I retired.
Not that small!!! Know it well. I am jealous! Been in several towns around the island before I retired.
Area it is large. Lots of road. But very separated from everything. Intend to use the duece for firewood.

Got the fuel shutoff freed up by taking it apart and using pb blaster. got full filter set on order. Cheapest way to get air filter. Getting oils tomorrow.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unlike a car, this truck is very forgiving to whatever wheel/tire combo you put on it - this is my opinion.

You can pretty much put any tire on that will fit. If you still have the stock wheels (rims), I've even seen some people, here, put 395's on those. You can also change the wheel out, your biggest concern there will be in the front. Many people buy used tires from various sources. So, if it's not bobbed you can do pretty much anything from the stock 40" to a 46" tire.

There have been all sorts of threads on here about different tires. The biggest issue you'll face is availability and how much you'll pay for shipping. I don't know what the market is like in AK, but If you're on a budget, maybe start looking at used/surplus tires. New truck tires are stupid expensive compared to car tires.

The stock tires for the deuce are still made, and they're pretty affordable, you can find them around $150/each or less. I personally hate them, but they're a good option in some cases.

Jacob2027

Unlike a car, this truck is very forgiving to whatever wheel/tire combo you put on it - this is my opinion.

You can pretty much put any tire on that will fit. If you still have the stock wheels (rims), I've even seen some people, here, put 395's on those. You can also change the wheel out, your biggest concern there will be in the front. Many people buy used tires from various sources. So, if it's not bobbed you can do pretty much anything from the stock 40" to a 46" tire.

There have been all sorts of threads on here about different tires. The biggest issue you'll face is availability and how much you'll pay for shipping. I don't know what the market is like in AK, but If you're on a budget, maybe start looking at used/surplus tires. New truck tires are stupid expensive compared to car tires.

The stock tires for the deuce are still made, and they're pretty affordable, you can find them around $150/each or less. I personally hate them, but they're a good option in some cases.
My end goal is to swap to 12.00r20s on solid rim running singles in the back. Intertubs seem to cost a pretty penny when going up in size. All rims are currently stock. The steer tires and spare are the stock tires. Drivers are bigger though. Not sure how big of an issue it is to run 10.00r20 in the rear and 9.00r20 in the front. If not to big of an issue moght run that for a little while. The split rims don't intimidate me. The over all tire price does...

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The over all tire price does...
You might look at recap or retread tires, they typically run about 1/3 the cost of new tires. Also look on ebay and the like for used, you can get 80% tread for pretty good prices and sometimes free shipping.

Jacob2027

You might look at recap or retread tires, they typically run about 1/3 the cost of new tires. Also look on ebay and the like for used, you can get 80% tread for pretty good prices and sometimes free shipping.
Decided to check looking logging companies and the local tire dealer. 10.00r20 retreads from the local tire dealer was over 4k for 3 tires. And apparently retreads are illegal to run on steer tires (or so I was told I know it isn't true unless the duece is a passanger bus...) Local logging outfit has one rig that runs them and is swapping tires out next week and willing to part with some. :D just got my motor and gear oil. Filters in monday or Tuesday. Getting close to another startup.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Retread laws vary by state. Some places they only apply to commercial vehicles.

If you are more flexible with your selections, you can find a better deal in a different size. The deuce isn't so picky.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks