• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new deuce owner

dkeven

Bought what I believe to be the Deuce that oldordie posted about 5th being removed. Have yet to take the cover off as its raining and humid as **** here in Tennessee, truck runs well has axle leak in right front and one rear (no big deal) a couple of fuel return lines rubbed through and the aforementioned 5th gear seems to be neutral as in no noise nothing. Got truck with winch and 105 trailer and covers on both. Anyone know what oldordie found out on the 5th gear before I remove cover myself and duplicate his efforts?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You bought that truck from 72cj5 didn't you? I ran into him waiting on his buyer to show up at a BP station in D!ckson. I guess you were the buyer. Nice looking truck. I remember him metioning that the truck had 5th gear problems.

I've got a spare trans if you need one. :wink:

dkeven

5th out

yes thats the truck I bought, aside from those issues it seems very good, I emailed the original owner that 72cj got it from tying to find out what he saw, I did a search msyself and discovered pretty much what you said so I guess unless I hear form him or one of his friends in the Lebanon mv group who knows. I will have to take a look see, how much for the trans by the way if that turns out to be my easiest fix. Don

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I lost 5th gear in my M35A2 and decided to replace the transmission. A good used take-out cost me $200.00. Shortly after I found another good trans for only $100.00. I find it hard to justify the time and trouble for a trans repair when good take-outs can be found for reasonable prices. I went ahead and replaced the clutch while the trans was removed. I'd recommend the same, unless you find something simple with the forks.

dkeven

gone as in gears broken off in the picture above the bronze ring the flats on the bottom should be as tall and square as the flats on the top, they are pretty much sheared off. dkn

72cj5

When I had it open I was focusing on the big gears.Im no tranny master mechanic. I never thought to look there.So the ring would slide to top for 4th gear and work but when slide to the bottom for 5th and the teeth were gone so it just free spined? So in order to fix this you need a syncro. Does 1 syncro work both 4th and 5th. I am just trying to learn for future refrence.

dkeven

now your getting beyond my learning curve, It appears the synchro works 4th and 5th but the part of 5th that it meshes with is sheared and probably the inside of the synchro on that end is tore up also as there is no noise at all. Need 5th gear and a synchro or a replacement trans hope to find a replacement trans cheaper. I bought the truck knowing a bad tranny was a possibility, just hoped it was minor. Replaced one of the inside duals that was flat, bled the brakes, and next will tackle one of the two possibly three leaking axle seals. Still running and starting great all in all minor issues in my estimation. Still pleased with the purchase.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks