• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new deuce purchase brakes

3rdaavbn

Hey,
I Just bought my first Duece from Gov.liq. Totally stoked! Went up to check it out today, since I'm waiting on my first EUC, in Huntsville AL. Brought batteries and got it started. The brake pedal has no tention at all. There is no fluid in the master cylinder. There does not appear to be any signs of leaking (current or past ) around the master or the lines or the wheels. Does anyone think I can bring brake fluid and an assistent to help bleed lines and drive it back to Atlanta (220miles), or should I plan on having it hauled? Any thoughts or past experiance would be much appreciated.

jwaller

Since it's your first truck and you don't know how to work on it. I'd save the family you might run over when the brakes fail and have it towed. It's not very far and will cost less than a minivan full of kids.

caliber1

I agree, I got lucky and worked up brakes on mine to get it home. Only to lose them 6 months later to a badly pitted air pack. Guessing that's where your fluid went as well. Get a hauler, or someone with a 5 ton and tow bar. Also, before you order a rebuild kit for the air pack, open it up and see how bad the pits are. Voice of experience. Good luck and congrats on your purchase.

np2ij

Have the deuce shipped. Buy new airpack, it is cheap insurance. i know as my deuce is former Air Force and has dual packs. both packs failed a month after purchase (in my yard). The failed packs pumped the break fluid out of the air relief vent. Working brakes are a real piece of mind.

caliber1

Ouch, I would hate to have to replace TWO!!! But I agree on buying new.

Have the deuce shipped. Buy new airpack, it is cheap insurance. i know as my deuce is former Air Force and has dual packs. both packs failed a month after purchase (in my yard). The failed packs pumped the break fluid out of the air relief vent. Working brakes are a real piece of mind.

Scarecrow1

Brake fluid normally doesn't disappear it has to have a leak somewhere . Have it towed or hauled just don't turn your first Deuce into a nightmare. Your life and others are far to hard to replace .....trucks are easy ........

197thhhc

I hope you are seeing everyones opinion. Take heed of what they say. Its not worth your life or someone elses just to save a few bucks. You will have plenty of time behind the wheel once you have done a full PMCS and corrected all the issues.

welldigger

I agree, I got lucky and worked up brakes on mine to get it home. Only to lose them 6 months later to a badly pitted air pack. Guessing that's where your fluid went as well. Get a hauler, or someone with a 5 ton and tow bar. Also, before you order a rebuild kit for the air pack, open it up and see how bad the pits are. Voice of experience. Good luck and congrats on your purchase.
I fully agree with getting it towed/hauled. Drove my truck from Monroe to Shreveport. Which is about 150 miles. My brakes were very weak. That was not a fun trip. Also I second pulling down the air pack before getting a rebuild kit. Ask me why.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks