• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new Deuce shifting problems

burger3026

happy new 1st time owner. this is the first one I've driven, but I'm having trouble shifting from 5th back down to 4th. I have tried double clutching, and all the super trucker tricks no luck. 3rd to 4th good, 4th to 5th good. I have to wait till I'm at the speed of a 4th gear up shift to get in gear for a down shift. It's like the sincro's are slowing the gear set down. Is this normal. thanks

hof3414

My truck sometimes wants to grind gears or not go into 4th from 5th also. It has only happened a couple of times and I almost always downshift back through the gears. I have found it best to blip the throttle to get the RPM s up before going down to 4th. And also don't force it in. It's hard to describe but I almost let the shifter roll into 4th on its own by just applying a slight pressure toward the 4th gear location then get the RPM's up and it just drops in.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
My truck sometimes wants to grind gears or not go into 4th from 5th also. It has only happened a couple of times and I almost always downshift back through the gears. I have found it best to blip the throttle to get the RPM s up before going down to 4th. And also don't force it in. It's hard to describe but I almost let the shifter roll into 4th on its own by just applying a slight pressure toward the 4th gear location then get the RPM's up and it just drops in.
that is double clutching for a down shift

Barrman

Are you sure the transmission has oil of the proper type in it and not just a bunch of goo? Also, what rpm/road speed are you trying this down shift at?

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whatever you do, don't force it. Find out what's wrong and fix it. You may bend or break a shift fork if you force it. I never have trouble downshifting into 4th on my Deuce and I'm now on my second transmission (lost 5th gear). I agree with Barrman - check the lube first. I use GL-1 in mine. It needs to be yellow metal compatible.

You don't happen to have a winch do you? If the backlash is not set correctly when mounting the PTO, the main sympton is difficulty in shifting. The proper clearance is set by using multiple gaskets between the PTO and transmission case. Mine took 6 gaskets as I remember. I have not experienced this, so I don't know what they mean by difficult shifting.

Seth_O

Mine has never downshifted 5th to 4th very well. I usually skip 4th and go straight to 3rd. Never tried the double-clutch though.....

burger3026

may just start with fresh grease so I'll have a service record. that will give me something to research this week. I'm sure there is a thread on that. thanks guys

I've learned that you sometimes need to be going slower than the recomended road speed in order to downshift into fourth. Some transmissions have there own personality depending on the weight of the oil, previous use/abuse, and outside temperature.

jatonka

no one answered as to whether the troublesome downshifting is with a transmission having a PTO on it. a PTO that is not shimmed properly could have an effect on the shifting I agree with the previous poster. If there is no PTO involved, I would check the gear oil for chips and/or filings as your synchros may be going bad. JT

ctmustang

I never force mine on the upshift or downshift. I just let it fall in when it is ready. Yeah may want to drain and fill with gl-1 just to know that is not the problem. Careful on the downshift and don't overrev the multifuel.
CT