• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new diesel smog laws in california

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
When I titled my bobbed duece I did it as historical so there were'nt any weight declarations. I bobbed it first before registering it so there was no changing of the classification from 3 axle to 2 axle. My last truck had 3 axles and I originally registered it the regular (commercial) way and the fees were close to $600/year based on the 2 1/2 ton payload capacity. I still havent found the vehicle code section that prohibits putting anything in the bed of a historical vehicle.

AaronHorrocks

I don't agree with the implementation of their new diesel legislation. While there is a big problem with the air quality out there, it's inexcusable to lay so much of the blame on a narrowed segment of the vehicles/equipment/machinery contributing to it. The problem out there isn't confined to them alone. Their problems blow easterly. A couple pics I snapped at the Grand Canyon. The guide at this lookout was quick to point out the smog over the canyon is from California.
First part: They do the same thing with guns. 1.5% of crimes commited with firearms are commited with so called "assualt weapons" therefore, they have to be banned. A fraction of pollution is from diesel, and there's this myth diesel is dirtier than gasoline, so it must be banned, or at the least; highly regulated into submission.

Second Part: Maybe it's smog from CA.. but your predjudice is showing! :roll:

I still havent found the vehicle code section that prohibits putting anything in the bed of a historical vehicle.
It's just another bad rumor that gets started and spread... Kinda like how you can not transport ammo or loaded mags in the same locked container as your handgun in your vehicle in California. There's no such law.

foothill4play

So, I guess its safe to say... historic registration might be the way, but what about the bobbing it? Does it really qualify as "historic"??

You see, I want to use mine more as a occasional driver... I wamt to drive to the trails and wheel around then drive home, I want to go to the store if I want... lol

dreadneck

my problem is that my deuce is an 85' and cannot be registered historic. as far as i know in this state and this state only you are required a class b commercial or above to drive a 6000lb vehicle with 3 or more axles. this is my main reason for bobbing. you can go with the same gvwr after modification but you might as well have your gawr recertified by a public weighmaster(i use a gravel quarry where i live). you'll save yourself a little $$ in the long run on registration and more importantly your insurance....also i've been told having the differentiation between stakeside flatbed and pickup bed goes a long way towards lowering your dmv fees(commercial(ca number) vs. non-commercial commercial).... what it all comes down to is, if you can get away without a ca number you deal with a lot less $$ and bs to and from the powers that be. i'd suggest checking with your local dmv or chp office for clarification cause they can give you the black and white skinny.....one thing i should mention is i live in a little town in the sticks and our smog laws are very relaxed compared with frisco, sacto or even ukiah for that matter. you can also be in and out of our dmv in 15min. very useful for asking questions. good luck, i know we all need it....

Militoy

my problem is that my deuce is an 85' and cannot be registered historic. as far as i know in this state and this state only you are required a class b commercial or above to drive a 6000lb vehicle with 3 or more axles.....
My Gama Goat weighed in at 7420 pounds at a public scales, when I first brought it into CA from AZ (I unbolted and unloaded everything unessential, swapped in little civie batteries, and burned off most of the fuel before weighing it).

Because it has 3 axles, I have to pay a weight fee each year - but the Class B license isn't required. They do ask me if I'm going to load it to above 10,000 GVWR, every time I renew the reg - and I just tell them "no".

Don't know what a Deuce weighs wet - but I don't suppose it would be so easy to lighten one up enough to be under 10,000 pounds, in any case.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Second Part: Maybe it's smog from CA.. but your predjudice is showing! :roll:

No maybe about it. It's been proven to have come from CA. A person in a neighboring state might get upset over being polluted by another. Kind of like dealing with treaspassers, personally don't care for them. I earned my right to have prejudices in the US Army.

Last edited:

bentwrench

man I hope you go back and talk to bit or chp cop about ca no. on 5 ton truck that you bob becuase i have a 1 ton chevy with dual wheels and factory flat bed that bit cop says with dual wheels my truck is over 10,000 LB and needs a ca. no and I use it as personal ranch truck not commercial ,,and the sad part about it each truck cop see's the law in his own way so if dmv say ok you better talk to bit truck cop not youre bit inspector

det45

Actually, there are a number of new diesel laws in effect and going into effect, and that seems to be some of the confusion in this thread.

First there is the new Federal emission standards that require different emission levels meet at different dates. These are requirements for the engine manufacturers. A big hurtle comes up in 2010, that has some of the big name manufacturers getting out of the diesel engine business.

Next, there is the CA smog law that starts in Jan. 2010 that requires diesel engines to get smogged much like cars here. It is a opacity test, a visual inspection of emissions equipment, and testing of the on-board computer. This law is targeted at 1998 and newer, 14,000 GVW and lighter diesel powered vehicles, so does not effect the deuce.

Next there are requirements to install particulate traps, repower or earlier retirement on heavy-duty diesel powered on-road owned by municapalities, and other local government agencies that have been in effect for several years. The state has been trying to push this off on everybody else for several years and will probably be successful eventually. Cities have not been able to buy diesel powered on-road vehicles since 2002.

There are also diesel idling restrictions, several heavy duty diesel emmisions testing programs, Off-road diesel programs, portable diesel programs and stationary diesel programs on the books.

I have to deal with this cr*p every day at work, and bottom line is that they seem to be targeting everything but our deuce. They are even doing studies on regulating fuel vapor emissions on gas lawn mowers as we speak.

For all you guys that think you are safe because you don't live in CA, quite a few other states are lining up to follow suite. NJ comes to mind first. The seminars that I attend, always have reps from other states taking notes, and of course, the first program I mentioned is a Federal requirement. What starts in CA, eventally infects everybody else, the "Assault Rifle" ban for instance.

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Around here CA is called "the land of fruits and nuts". I know there are alot of good people there as shown by the members here but CA does have a bumper crop of fruits and nuts.:-D

bentwrench

what I am trying to say is that my 1 ton chevy was had by ca. chp truck cop their storie to me was my truck was assmbeled as a cab and chaise and because of that i could not put a picup bed on it to avoid ca. no. its gvw is rated 13,000 lb a duce has got to be more and if a truck cop stoped you with pic up bed in calif I don't think it would be leagal as for those big IH pickups I've asked some people and i was told that becuase it came frome factory it can be regusterd in ca as a picup,,also a ca no. is free but you have to show $750,000 comercial libilitey insurance to reg. youre truck---- yes I need to find spell check--Bill

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
. What starts in CA, eventally infects everybody else, the "Assault Rifle" ban for instance.
As I have said before in other posts on this subject. Thanks for echoing it.
"Diesel" is a dirty word. It will have to be renamed to get rid of the dirtyness associated with the word. Anyone notice that the diesel of today smell alot like gasoline?
Dirtyness...I think I just made up a word!

datsunaholic

Smog testing of diesel engines is nothing new. I'm surprised California hasn't been doing it- Washington has been testing Diesels via the opacity method for over 10 years. This doesn't mean just Mercedes and VWs... I've seen semi-tractors in line. There's no GVW limit on testing.

The "Saving Grace" here in WA is that the testing is only for vehicles between 5-25 years old. So at least my Deuce is exempt, for now. Dunno what anyone who buys a "1986" Deuce would do. I suppose it's fairly rare for someone who lives in one of the 5 "Smog Counties" here toown a Deuce. let alone a deuce that is under 25 years old.

JDToumanian

JDTOUMANIAN, Hesperia CA! Ever buy stuff from Military Surplus Parts in Hesperia?
Sure do! ....That's Walker Auto & Truck Wrecking's eBay name. Dave is a good friend. I'm fixing up his personal deuce right now, it's in my driveway. It's an air force truck, hadn't run in many years, engine was apart and radiator missing when he got it from DRMO Barstow around 5 years ago. I just fired it up a few days ago and confirmed that the engine is good, so now I'm putting a radiator and batteries into it. I'm trying to get him to convoy to Tower Park with me in April!

I attached a few pics of my deuce tow-barring his to my house...

Jon

Attachments

det45

Smog testing of diesel engines is nothing new. I'm surprised California hasn't been doing it- Washington has been testing Diesels via the opacity method for over 10 years. This doesn't mean just Mercedes and VWs... I've seen semi-tractors in line. There's no GVW limit on testing.
Opacity testing of commercial trucks has been going on here for about 15 years. The new law has expanded that to private vehicles with diesels, who have somehow been lucky enough to be let alone until now.

As I have said before in other posts on this subject. Thanks for echoing it.
"Diesel" is a dirty word. It will have to be renamed to get rid of the dirtyness associated with the word. Anyone notice that the diesel of today smell alot like gasoline?
Dirtyness...I think I just made up a word!
Your right about "Diesel" being a dirty word. The new diesel pickups that are coming out now actually are cleaner than thier gas counterparts, but municapalities that are in certain 'Air Quiality Management Districts' are not allow to buy the cleaner diesels and are allowed to buy the dirtier gas versions. If you think this is really about cleaning the air, your going to be disappointed.

rivired

my partner and i run a kenworth transfer with an 80k gvwr and a mack dump with a 25.9k gvwr for our lanscape supply, and our bit inspector(chp) explained to us that these new diesel smog laws going into effect only affect 26k gvwr and above trucks. only somthing to get your panties in a twist over if your into the bigger mv's 5ton and up. those trucks require the clean air conversion which i and my partner have to do to our kenworth. if we don't were going to be paying some hefty fines each year which make the $10k conversion look cheap. all new diesel vehicles being sold in ca have smog devices. i have a deuce that i'm getting ready to title when i finish hacking off the rear axle as a california non-commercial commercial vehicle(pickup truck in this state). my local dmv informed me that i will not require cdl, ca number or smog devices in order to operate. hope this helps...

thanks for that last note it answerd my question in another thread about the bobbing as an alternative to a cdl!...

Oh and just a side note..i was revving up my deuce and blew lotsss of smoke today..

Last edited:

makohon

i know this is kinda old but im not to clear on a bobbed m35 in cali for registration.. what exactly do you need to do to register it to were you dont need a cdl? and the fees that go along with it.. registration... bla bla... i spent 2 hrs searching and reading but cant find anything to clear... sorry if this has already been coverd..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks