• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Drivers Seat and a 5 point harness

Back2Wyo

Back in January, I went to the AZ Military Vehicle Show in Tempe. One of the vendors was selling military seats that could be used in the Deuce. I don't know the name of the vendor, (he may be on the site and see this) but he introduced me to D who had installed these in his truck. So after seeing how they were mounted, I bought the last seat he had at the show that day. The seat has a thicker and denser foam that the stock seat.

An adapter plate had to be fabricated to mount the new seat to the existing springer base. At the office we were throwing away equipment shelving for computer racks, so I grabbed on to use as the base. Cut the plate down and drilled out the holes. With this seat, it is longer than the original so you end up with about 2-3 inches of adjustment. Due to the way I mounted the seat, I had to drill 2 holes in the back cross bar on the seat to clear the rear nuts on the springer base. I had to space the adapter plate up to clear the seat adjuster mechanism. Sorry I did not take photos when I did the build.

The original seat belt looked like it had seen better days and I did not like the thought of something happening and planting my head on that big 20 inch steering wheel. So I started looking at putting in a 4 or 5 point harness.

Disclaimer:
4 and 5 point harness are NOT DOT approved.
Using them in a vehicle without a roll cage can lead to serious injury or death.

Simp5782 had listed a 5 point harness and I bought it from him. This harness uses a latch to connect all the straps together.

Side view of the seat and harness.

P6210509.jpg

The lap belt was bolted to the same location as the original seat belts.

P6210510.jpg

The submarine belt was bolted to the adapter plate for the seat. I cut 2 3 inch square plates and drilled them. They are used to stiffen the area where the belt is mounted.
P6210511.jpg

The shoulder straps posed another challenge. They could not be mounted to the cab wall and were too short to reach the floor. The straps were long enough to reach down past the upper bold on the seat brackets. So I got a 1/8th by 1.5 inch strip of steel and had it bent to fit across the back of the seat and bolt up using longer top bolts.

P6210513.jpg

The complete harness looks like this
P6210512.jpgP6210508.jpg

I have to pull the bracket off to paint, so I'll get photos and post them.

Back2Wyo

I found the invoice and here are the nsn (they don't say which is which):
7372720 Weather strip
7372721 Weather strip
7272722 Weather strip

Need 2 of each. I'm not getting the same numbers when looking at the parts TM.
Email: aaamilitaryparts@yahoo.com

Based in NJ and AZ.

Sent from my Samsung Chromebook Plus using Tapatalk

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks