• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new early dodge owner please help identify this truck

mvformoe

Hello,
Thank everyone in advance for there time and knowledge.I have wanted an M.V. for a long time and as I know many of you know they just turn up when you arent ready for it at all.So tonight I am going to purchase what I believe to be my first military vehicle.I am a mechanic by trade and have worked with many old trucks so I should be able to follow advice and info just fine.I am posting this before buying the truck tonight,it will be purchased in about 4 hours,I look forward very much to being informed and schooled by those that know.Thank you for your time.Please Help inform me what I have found,my guess with some research put forth would lead me to believe it is some kind of 1\2 ton wc cab and chassis truck from 41.The owner thinks it is a 45 but I dont believe this cab was available in 45 and I believe it has the black out marker lights and there is olive drab on the axles and some wheels.I look forward to your information,and thank you again.

Attachments

Roller

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes it appears to be a 1/2 ton dodge but it has duals in the rear. Does it have a single or two speed transfer case?

Frank

mvformoe

The truck is equipped with a single speed transfer case.The frame has a place where it has been cut and then welded back together.Is this possibly an after war farm truck conversion,or is this how dodge made the different wheelbase lengths at the factory?Thanks for replies.

FrankUSMC

That is a Dodge WC-1, closed cab with civi instruments.
Cool thing about 1/2 ton dodges, the rims can be dueled, the WWII combat rims could not be.
That is a very sad one. I have owned several, I hate to say this, but save your money, there are better ones out there than that one. It would make a great parts truck if you can get it cheap.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

mvformoe

Thanks for the reply.I am going to pick it up still,it isnt as bad as you think,there is very little rust and the price is right.Dont know where it will go if I dont take it,the guy I am buying it from was supposed to take it for scrap and couldnt do it.Any more info?Does it appear to be stock for the most part?I havent been able to find one with a flat bed set up like this.I am already looking for parts,if anyone has a set of combat rims for sale or a line on front axle shafts I would appreciate it.

davidkroberts

well it has seen brighter days thats for sure but the guys here have brought them back to life in far worse condition. If this is the one you want to build then get started. You can always shift gears if you find one in better condition to use as the base vehicle. I think you could save it, most of mine started out pretty rough just not that rough.

good luck and know we will help with whatever we can.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Due to the civilian gauges and the radiator cab beiing under the rad cowl...I would say it's a 41 WC as stated above.

I suspect farm mods were applied as you stated. I would still be interested if the price was not much more than scrap.....and it was a few thousand miles closer!!! :sad:

mvformoe

I really appreciate all the honest oppinions.I have purchased the truck,looked at it for the first time on memorial day so it seems fitting.Not sure if it is all original or a frankenstien,I cant lose either way,I originally was interested in something to use in the woods and to go the places I like to be,done that way modern axles and things like that make sense if it isnt a really rare original truck.I like the sound of stock though if I could make it capable enough,dont think the little chrystler axles will like 36" tires for too long.I would like to know how to tell if the cab has been replaced,I have a feeling it has,it is a metalic green color inside instead of ollive drab,it is in good condition for being so old though,couldnt find any rust through just cracks at the top corners of the cab,did these trucks originally have wood covering the transmission tunnel or a metal plate?.The hood and grille look to be original as well as the frame and running gear including the motor would appreciate oppinions on stock versus modified.I have lots of resources for running gear so modern would not be as big an investment as it would seem at first.I am going to use this forum as a sounding board so I appreciate all comments and oppinions,thanks to everyone for the warm welcome,and I would appreciate any help I could get.I found the army numbers under the paint on the hood when I looked at it better today,they will be readable with a little work.I am in need of a front axle in california if anyone has a line on one,other parts I would like to locate would be,rear driveshaft for half ton,combat wheels,passenger side windshield glass,door glass,and any and all oppinions or information that anyone feels would be helpfull.Thanks so much everyone.

davidkroberts

well if your looking to do some tasteful modifications then it makes things easier. look up M-Series Rebuilders. he did some early power wagons that should give you some ideas. Wish you were closer id like to see it up close.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look up VintagePowerWagons.com, they have lots of parts and info. Cab is original, bed is not. Good Luck.

gerrykan

As to if it's an original military cab, the door glass(if there are any) should have a steel surround to protect the edge. The windshield should have sliding brackets on each side with thumbscrews to hold it open. Civilian used a spring-steel tape activated by a crank in the center of the dash(yours has a hole for one). Would of had data plates on the dashboard, or at least small holes where they were.

mvformoe

Thanks everyone for there tips so far.I have looked the truck over a bit and am really enjoying getting to know it,I have my work cut out for me,but thankfully there is so much metal in the thing that I dont have any rust through problems I haVe found yet.I had a neat discovery,I was able to see the hood numbers and usa markings through the old paint,what I get from the hood markings is a wc-4 but I am still learning,this truck could be a pile of different trucks in one who knows,but I will get it on the road,hood numbers read, w-217677,I was also able to find what I thought was a serial number on the frame but it isnt matching any in the listings,serial number reads,N348650,does that look like a vin to anyone?Thanks again,and I will update as I go.

ralvincos

According to my sources, the blackouts that mount to the headlight buckets, and the rectangular gages, indicate that it is the first of three series of half ton WC production. If you are going to modify it, I am sure that some purist will appreciate you saving the headlight buckets and blackouts for someone's restoration project. With this configuration of blackout, it is not uncommon for the bottom of the shell of the blackout to have rusted out after water collected inside. The half ton WC was short lived production because a stronger frame proved necessary. The reversible, dualable wheels are what is correct for the half tons. I have one with a dump truck bed cobbled onto it, also of this first series. I have a later series half ton WC that may have been an open cab because I received it with a vintage GMC cab cobbled on, presumably for staying warmer for ranch use here in the rough Montana winters. I know where several of the half ton wc frames are that were not lengthened or messed with. Only the half tons had the curved grill. All the 3/4 WC's had straight grills, and an exposed radiator cap. For roughing around, I recommend the stronger, higher production 3/4 ton, which are commonplace, compared to finding a first series flat fender half ton. Even the front fenders are different between the half and 3/4 tons.

found this truck while backpacking in Colorado near Wolff creek pass it looks vary wore out . the bell housing had lots of welded up cracks I'm not sure of the make of the truck . it sits on a old logging road maybe used to pull logs down the trails ?

Attachments

mvformoe

Hello all fellow mv lovers,it has been a long summer sorry it has been so long since an update.Thank everyone for the links and the pics of that poor dead logging truck,these trucks are dissapearing fast.Here is an update on the truck,I am relocating to Northern California to get out of the crazyness of the city and be able to hear the crickets again.The truck is still sitting in storage,I have had to rethink the project,everyone knows how life likes to but in.I havent done anything to the truck yet,she is in a state of arrested decay,thanks to a great fellow memeber glenn715,I know have axle choices and would like advice as to a direction to take it.I purchased a complete set of 2 axles from glenns wc-63,so now I have complete 3\4 ton axles for my half ton,I would like advice as to a good way to utilize these on the truck,I would like thoughts on the 3/4 ton diffs in my half ton housings or just go ahead and put the complete unit in.The rear is an offset axle with link mounts not leaf spring mounts.I also have a 2 speed transfer case to put in it as well.Truck is in storage,not sure of my direction with the build,but I am dedicated to keeping it from being scraped,that is the whole point of this,I love these trucks and the heritage of the men that saved lives with them.I will not scrap this truck.I am reaching out to the mv community for options,I would prefer not to sell the truck but that may have to be an option.I am interested in talking with fellow mv enthusiast for ideas or maybe help,I am either looking at selling the truck which I dont really want to do,or figure out transport and storage.I am moving from sacramento ca to northern california or southern oregon.If there is anyone that can offer help with transport when I do the move that could be a great option.I wouuld love to keep it,but the main goal here is KEEP THESE TRUCKS OUT OF THE SCRAP YARDS.Thank you all fellow mvers,I look forward to your suggestions.

citizensoldier

found this truck while backpacking in Colorado near Wolff creek pass it looks vary wore out . the bell housing had lots of welded up cracks I'm not sure of the make of the truck . it sits on a old logging road maybe used to pull logs down the trails ?
There is two valuable things left on that truck that should be saved.. The Spitfire head off the engine, and the intake and exhaust manifold set. The rest is scrap.. The motor is no doubt full of water and not savable. That should be the long block flathead maybe a 237 or 251 and those manifolds are very scarce.. I would buy it off you if you can find the owner and take it. The head may or may not be good.. Also get the numbers off the top left corner of the block and we can identify the motor.:cool:

I'm not planing to go back till next year but I will work on finding out who has the forest permit where this truck is . my wife kinda has a problem with backpacking out military truck parts ? what a funny girl .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks