• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Electric HUMMER (GMC) - costs over $100 to charge?????

McSpeed

I know this is NOT a H1 or a M998 series...but the "future" is electric...they say.

I saw this video on Youtube -

I'll summarize - he ran the battery to zero - fully charged at a DC quick station - took two hours and 45 minutes....

And - with tax was just over $100!

HELP ME UNDERSTAND!!

How far off road you want to go with one of these?

I saw on another channel that the Hummver carries the equivalent power to about 5.5 gallons of diesel in the full battery pack.

I'm not an electric car basher - but I'm seeing these trying to tow trailers - and having no reasonable range...and between list price around $120K - and this kind of cost to "quick" charge - probably from a plant that burns coal or natural gas....UGH.

McSpeed

But that's from a commercial charging station. I pay $0.11 per KWH here at home. So that's only $35.75 at home. Not knocking the commercial stations, they've gotta make a profit. But it'd be wise to only charge at home or where you can avoid a "retail" outlet.
I don't disagree - the video poster made the point that charging at home was the best practice - but...you won't be charging at home if you are out on a trip/adventure.

They say on the Hummer that a quick home charger will be still be 6 to 8 hours - and just a plug in (110) could take a couple of days.

Is that true?

silverstate55

Useless
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Saw that on ARFcom yesterday…it was mentioned that memberships are available for some commercial charging stations that would offer discounts and whatnot to lower the cost when on the road.

It was also mentioned that a company was contracted to build up to 85K EV charging stations across the US over the next 5 years or so.

That discussion devolved into an argument between those who believe that technology will overcome charging issues in the next 10-15 years vs. those who say the physics of charging are what they are & that there’s nothing on the horizon to increase charging times significantly, at least not for lithium batteries.

Sort of related to the member here who converted his M37 to all-electric, and estimated his conversion cost to be far beyond what many here will find feasible….intriguing but beyond the grasp of many.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
There's always going to be a limitation by physics. At least in the current battery construction. Supercapacitors though, that might be the answer, or a hybrid of a battery and supercapacitor to increase the speed of charging.

The hows of the vehicle charging/range/exc. are just one part of this. The other part is how is the grid supposed to support the shift. It's not up to that and won't be any time soon. But no one really discusses that much.

87cr250r

The math is easy to get ballpark numbers. The Hummer battery is 213 KWh. A watt hour and hour are essentially the same in this case.
If you want to charge on a household 120v outlet you're limited to 15amps. That's 1.8kW. it would take almost 6 days to charge off a standard household outlet.

If you were to max out a standard 100 amp 240V residential service, 24KW, you could charge your Hummer in 9 hours.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Good ideas succeed on their own merits and don't have to rely on coercion.

The fact that the EV is being forced, is prima facie evidence that it isn't a good idea.

And there are many good arguments supporting EV, but I'll be damned if I do it simply because it's being pushed.
I dislike how this is all being pushed as well. It should be incentivized to spur on things. Carrot and stick thing. Seems to be all stick though.

I will say that I dislike the $100 fill ups of my Jeep Gladiator Ecodiesel. I would have a EV if I didn't live in a rural area and was able to easily charge it.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's always going to be a limitation by physics. At least in the current battery construction. Supercapacitors though, that might be the answer, or a hybrid of a battery and supercapacitor to increase the speed of charging.

The hows of the vehicle charging/range/exc. are just one part of this. The other part is how is the grid supposed to support the shift. It's not up to that and won't be any time soon. But no one really discusses that much.
I believe supercapacitors are the future if they can figure out how to get the energy out at the rate needed. Supercapacitors are amazing. Very quick charging and a tremendous capacity for storing energy.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Electric cars, crypto currency, all electric appliances, hmm switch of a flip and everything is gone. Yes lets embrace this great new world coming.
Can I educate a little? There's a great misconception that crypto will vanish at the push of a button. But that's not how it works. It's decentralized. Just like the internet is. Now, if your assets are held in a exchange and not a cold wallet, then absolutely you could stand to lose them. Since you're never really in possession of them. All of my assets are mainly held in a cold wallet I have sitting in a safe. I previously just held them in coinbase, but with all the uncertainty of exchanges I bought a wallet just so I can know that I hold those assets and not someone else on my behalf. The same thing happens with your cash you have in the bank. Heck the bank doesn't even have all the cash it says it has if you were to add up everyone's account values. The difference being that your funds are insured by the FDIC.

Now, electric appliances. I mainly have gas at home, and total electric over at my shop. But when I lose power, I simply use a generator.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I honestly don't buy crypto. I just mine it. I use the miners during the winter to heat my home and office. I can use kwh to warm up heating elements. Or I can use kwh to run the miners to also make heat. I choose to run the miners to get something out of "making heat".

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would start looking past this battery thing the U.S. doesnt have the infastructure to support it nor the part that you could never just jump in and take a trip without getting gouged if you found a charging station at all with no one else in line ahead of you ! The more this hydrogen thing is taking off lot of big companys are installing the infrastructure for their forklifts to run on this stuff and water is the by product ! Albeit it also will take time to reach our level it might be just what the doctor orderd !! OR NOT !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks