• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new engine issue

seabee mike

I am searching and getting different info so I will ask here.
My 86 1009 with 41k on it starts up in the morning runs for a few seconds and sputters and dies. I crank it over for a few seconds or more and it will fire up but run rough for about 15 seconds like it is surging. once I blow the smoke out it runs fine the rest of the day. I figure I am getting air some where but I don't see a leak either. What do I need to look for? What are the rubber hoses to the injectors for ? Will a leak in them cause this problem?

I am due to move 1400 miles away in a few weeks and need to fix this issue..
Thank you.

Triple C

Well, black smoke is unburned fuel, how is your air filter? How is the glow plug system working? Could be you have more than one issue going on here. If it were mine, I would start by changing ALL the filters.

seabee mike

never mind i see it feeds 2 areas. the seals on the filter look very good and the sensor looked clean on the outside but the foam area was wet is that normal???

tbearatkin

Well Seabee from one Bee to another. I am so glad when I switched out that filter with a canister filter (spin on). So much easier to replace/bleed and not have it leaking. My opinion would be if you are changing the filter anyway then change it to a canister filter. My stock one started leaking not long after I replaced it so I then had to either find a new base or convert it.

And moving those miles leaves out GP and PH. You are not on Recruiting Duty now are you? Hope you have a fine Seabee Weekend. BUC retired

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?36435-My-CUCV-spin-on-fuel-filter-mod&highlight=Filter

Last edited:

seabee mike

Well i did everything. its running but i will not know if it's fixed until it has sat a day. I did brake the top off the bleed screw. where do i find a new one?