• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New engine, tranny, and body for my deuce...

billybob_81067

I was at an auction a few weeks ago and managed to pick up an early deuce (M211) for $290!!! :D

Anyways the hood and front fenders are all crushed in and the engine is froze up so I was thinking of just putting a pickup body, engine and tranny on it in place of the originals. I've got an 85 F-250 with the 6.9 liter navistar diesel in it and a C6 transmission. I'm seriously considering using this powerplant/tranny combo in the deuce.

I think it would be plenty of engine considering it's #1 a diesel, and #2 much bigger than the GM straight 6 that came in the deuce originally. What do you all think?

And as for the C6 transmission, they're pretty stout so I think it could handle duty in the deuce as well. Of course I'll be keeping the original transfer case because of the whole 2 output shafts. 8)

Suspension wise I think I'll leave the rear alone so it will be plenty stout for hauling various things and I might even put a goosneck hitch on it for pulling trailers around the farm. On the other hand, the front I would like to pull out the leaf springs and fabricate some coil buckets. The axle is already 3 linked stock, so why not add some coils for a much smoother ride? This will also allow me to hack off some of that hugely overhanging front frame in order for a much better approach angle.

Too many ideas churning in my head! :)

M1.30-'06

Go for it. I dont have any experience with the 6.9's , but the C6 trans. will definately work for you.

You may want to be careful on the front about removing the stock leaves as they probably do most of the work locating the axle , the links you mentioned may not be up to handling the whole axle by itself , and were probably originally designed to work only as torque rods , or anti-wrap bars.

Good luck , whichever way you decide to go with this.

Lets see some pictures! :)

M1.30-'06

Looks like you have some work ahead of you.. and yes it is ugly lol. have fun with it.

Are you in Colorado?

Knucklehead

Billybob, nice find and a way cool way of loading!!!!!!!!!!! The 6.9 is a fairly stout engine although a little shy on power as it is naturally aspirated. Gail Banks made a turbo kit for them that really made some serious ponies. I am not an auto tranny fan but that C6 is top of the line. Have fun, you have a nice project.

billybob_81067

M1.30-'06, Yes I am in Colorado, lol I guess having a state as well as a town would help! I looked for a way to change my details under where the avitar would be, but haven't found it yet. I put my town and state in the sig for now. :D

Knucklehead, Yeah the 6.9 is no huge powerhouse, but I figured the 320 cubic inch (I think that's what I read was in there) GM straight 6 was no hotrod engine either. lol. Hopefully the diesel's torque will make up for it and if need be, I suppose I could turbocharge it or add a propane injection system :wink:

ktm380, yeah I figured for the $290 dollar price tag I just couldn't pass it up! The only guy bidding against me was just going to scrap it out and I couldn't let this beauty get melted down. I never in my life imagined that there would be someone else from southeastern Colorado here on this website. Especially someone that has heard of the huge melon capital of the world, Rocky Ford! LOL :)

Thanks for all the input guys. This project will probably be on the back burner for a little while until I get a couple of my other projects finished, but I always like to do research while I'm waiting. 8)

M35guy

Just a note for you. the 6.9 and 7.3 were made by Ford until 1994.5, THEN Navistar started making the Powerstroke 7.3 that is so famous.

Jetnoise400

Hey Chad,

Not only have I heard of Rocky Ford, I've been there lots of times. In fact, my Dad is from there and my Uncle and Cousin still live there. And no doubt about it, the melons in Rocky Ford are king!

Looks like you've got one huge project on your hands, but lots of fun when it's done.

Good luck with it!

David_4x4

Sounds like it would be a nice little project.

There's a roller M135 around here. If I play my funds right, I would like to do a 12V Cummins swap.

JasonS

I am not trying to rain on your parade but I had considered a similar thing in the past. The problem with the gmc M135/M211 is that the low range is in the transmission, not the transfer case. You will be pretty short on gear reduction with the C6. You can retrofit a dual range transfer case from a CCKW but expect to spend a couple hundred $ to get one. The 6.9 will definately be an improvement over the 302 gmc but it won't compare to a cummins. It is not torque that you are after, it is horsepower. Torque at the rear wheels, OK. AFAIK, Navistar has always made the 6.9 and 7.3 diesels.

billybob_81067

JasonS said:
I am not trying to rain on your parade but I had considered a similar thing in the past. The problem with the gmc M135/M211 is that the low range is in the transmission, not the transfer case. You will be pretty short on gear reduction with the C6. You can retrofit a dual range transfer case from a CCKW but expect to spend a couple hundred $ to get one. The 6.9 will definately be an improvement over the 302 gmc but it won't compare to a cummins. It is not torque that you are after, it is horsepower. Torque at the rear wheels, OK. AFAIK, Navistar has always made the 6.9 and 7.3 diesels.
Yeah I had considered that and thought of two things I could do... Either see how much longer the engine tranny combo would be if I left the t-case on it (the donor pickup is 4x4 BTW (haven't mentioned that yet)) ORRRR, just run without it and have no low range. I'm probably only going to run about 40" tires anyways so it won't be geared too awfully high.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks