• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New EPA Regulations On Large Truck Emissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ixpacman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bear in mind that the EPA requires better fuel mileage and emissions but has nothing to say about the pollution created by the manufacture of the components to bring newer vehicles into compliance and the manufacturing of vehicles to replace existing vehicles that with proper maintenance would be usable and efficient for thousands of more miles. Ethanol addition to fuel also reduces fuel mileage significantly and requires more trucking for the same quantity of product due to mixing logistics especially in remote areas let alone hicher maintenance costs for any vehicle using ethanol that wasn't specifically designed for it. Low sulphur diesel is another joke. Destroying injector pumps and other lubricated components and the process of removing sulphur and the addition and use and manufacture of additives for lubricity quality also has an effect on the quantity of pollution and efficiency of motor vehicles created. Over all it is my opinion that someone is making a lot of money on all this hogwash at the expense of hardworking people and the enviroment and would have you believe otherwise. I do remember when I was a auto mechanic in the late seventies and the egr valve was finally understood. The first thing you would do was disconnect the vacuum hose and retard the timing a tad.We new nothing of the damge to the catalytic converter at that time. Then came emissions testing. A car pre 1971 in good tune would actually pass the emissions test better than a catalyst engine. It became clear to me at that point that the emissions systems were only covering up the cars that weren't properly maintained. The only problem was NOX. Lean fuel mixtures would burn clean but would emit high nitrides of oxygen. Overall I think it is too little too late . Methane will be our enemy soon . Hang on to your military vehicles because pollution isn't going to be the problem soon. My opinion.great thread Harry

AaronW

The gov/military does not follow many laws , curious as to why they bother with the EPA .
I'm not so sure. While assigned to the Deep Submergence Unit/Unmanned Vehicles Detachment in San Diego we were tasked(think PMCS) to test and maintain our skid mounted diesel generators once a year or so. These things were our primary source of power if we had to deploy on a ship of opportunity that did not meet our power requirements. About a year into my tour there, we were told we were not allowed to fire the gennys even for testing! I guess CARB shut us down because the engines were not prime movers. CRAZY!

WarrenD

At Ease folks! On 12/21/12 the world is going to end, so we don't have to worry about any of this!!:jumpin:

saddamsnightmare

January 8th, 2012.

Geez!

To hear you guys tell it, the world's coming to an end. I have NO problem with Uncle making the commercial operators comply with EPA regs., our newer diesel locomotives do it, so what's the problem? And the law does not apply to all those Panamanian, Liberian or Chinese ships hauling in junk for WalMart, and they all burn WMO!
The other vehicles like ours are grandfathered by age. If they want you to change the engine, let Uncle pay you for the conversion. Besides, I am not impressed with the Cat 3116 in the M35A3... If you think Uncle would have wanted the Multifuels, he would have kept making the multifuels, but the Army is NOT set up to operate in a post nuclear environment any more. Just my 2cents worth,

Now, back to the regular OD rant.....:popcorn:

Flyingvan911

This will cook your goose, I wonder if the Mexican truckers will have to follow US EPA regs if they are operating anywhere inthe USA as they can now....

AllGov - News - First Mexican Truck Allowed into U.S. Interior after 11-Year Treaty Delay
They won't have to because it is the politically correct thing for our gov to do.

The EPA does do an important job keeping the environment clean. I think they go about it in a way that's too politically influenced sometimes.

SCcowgirl80

This will cook your goose, I wonder if the Mexican truckers will have to follow US EPA regs if they are operating anywhere inthe USA as they can now....

AllGov - News - First Mexican Truck Allowed into U.S. Interior after 11-Year Treaty Delay

Mexican trucks currently do not have to adhere to any of our Emissions regulations in the United States. They also don't have to carry the minimum insurance requirements that American truckers have to so that they are legal on our roads. The only thing they have to do is adhere to our HOS (hours of service) guidelines.

I doubt that this will change any time soon, unless we get a new administration in that believes in salvaging American industries and businesses.

A

A/C Cages

We used to call the EPA
EPA= Enviromental Pain in the Azz

Speedwoble

I find it ironic that people are complaining about the EPA (one section of the government) while claiming the military (another section of the government) should be able to do whatever it desires.:popcorn:

The recent increase in the CAFE standards for light vehicles did include an exemption for federal vehicles. Thus while automanufacturers must make vehicles for the public meeting the law, policy, military and the humble IRS agent can drive vehicles that do not.

Personally I do not like mandating fuel economy, I would prefer an increase in fuel taxes.

As Bob Lutz said, "reducing oil consumption by mandating fuel economy is like reducing obesity by banning X-large clothes"

Autocar

In California all commercial vehicles will need to have a 2010 model year, or newer, engine on January 1, 2015
But not to worry. CARB(Cal Air Resources Board) did a financial analysis and found that replacing every heavy duty diesel engine, truck, or tractor in the state would have "negligible financial impact on consumer". Sure-I believe that.

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
RAISING fuel taxes will raise the cost of EVERYTHING, even for those who NEVER DRIVE, the LAST THING this country needs is HIGHER TAXES, It is bad enough now with our leaders spending every cent thay can get there hands on, this will be just be more to spend being be on the backs of those who can least affort the higher gas tax. AMERICA has enough FUEL SOURCES to be ENGERY INDEPENDANT and be a world supplier, but due to GOV. REGS and tree huggers, WE are NOT ALLOWED to be that INDEPENANT COUNTRY

FUEL taxes going up will mean those that can least afford it, will just stop going places and buy less, NOT buy a NEW fuel EFFICENT car that thay can not afford.

RAISING TAXES IS ALL WAYS COUNTER PRODUCTIVE, cut the tax rate, people will spend the extra, rasie the tax rate, there is not only NO extra but LESS to spend hence NOT SPEND.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I find it ironic that people are complaining about the EPA (one section of the government) while claiming the military (another section of the government) should be able to do whatever it desires.:popcorn:

The recent increase in the CAFE standards for light vehicles did include an exemption for federal vehicles. Thus while automanufacturers must make vehicles for the public meeting the law, policy, military and the humble IRS agent can drive vehicles that do not.

Personally I do not like mandating fuel economy, I would prefer an increase in fuel taxes.

As Bob Lutz said, "reducing oil consumption by mandating fuel economy is like reducing obesity by banning X-large clothes"
Some how I can not see GOING INTO COMBAT in a UPARMERED PRIUS

AN/ARC186

RAISING fuel taxes will raise the cost of EVERYTHING, even for those who NEVER DRIVE, the LAST THING this country needs is HIGHER TAXES, It is bad enough now with our leaders spending every cent thay can get there hands on, this will be just be more to spend being be on the backs of those who can least affort the higher gas tax. AMERICA has enough FUEL SOURCES to be ENGERY INDEPENDANT and be a world supplier, but due to GOV. REGS and tree huggers, WE are NOT ALLOWED to be that INDEPENANT COUNTRY

FUEL taxes going up will mean those that can least afford it, will just stop going places and buy less, NOT buy a NEW fuel EFFICENT car that thay can not afford.

RAISING TAXES IS ALL WAYS COUNTER PRODUCTIVE, cut the tax rate, people will spend the extra, rasie the tax rate, there is not only NO extra but LESS to spend hence NOT SPEND.

GOV. REGS and tree huggers?
yeah, ok, tell that to the fishermen in the Gulf, or did we already forget that little spill? a cut back in the office that provides oversight for those operations was partly responsible or do you really think big oil will always do the right thing if they feel no one is looking while in pursuit of a buck?

As far as energy independence, talk to the companies who produce the energy, they are the ones controlling the show, not the Gov.

BIG_RED

What I want to know is how much of this whole climate change thing is our doing, as Americans/Canadians (while the Chinese are still allowed to make 16:1 2-stroke engines) and as Humans, Global Warming: A closer look at the numbers . I'm not concerned about CO2 emissions. I think we should spend our environmental hippy dollars looking for ways to pollute less. We should stop having to throw our <10 year old cars in scrapyards where they ooze coolant and break fluid and oil and God-knows-what into the earth, because they were at the end of their useful life with the awful reliability of all the emissions garbage that some idiot mandated we needed, that added $5000 to the price of our truck, causing a decrease in quality in an attempt to keep the vehicles price reasonable. Also the steel is paper thin to "reduce weight and increase efficiency". I plan on getting set up with a good enough shop to keep everything I have on the road forever in the next few years, and passing it on to my children/grandchildren when I bite the dust. That way at least my family will not have to deal with "i need a new car every 5 years that costs $30,000 has 50 HP a 500 LB towing capacity and gets 4 MPG". If they do mandate that older vehicles need to be "retrofitted" with their BS.. They can pry my mechanical diesel engines from my cold dead fingers.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
GOV. REGS and tree huggers?
yeah, ok, tell that to the fishermen in the Gulf, or did we already forget that little spill? a cut back in the office that provides oversight for those operations was partly responsible or do you really think big oil will always do the right thing if they feel no one is looking while in pursuit of a buck?

As far as energy independence, talk to the companies who produce the energy, they are the ones controlling the show, not the Gov.
This is far from true, we have more coal then we know what to with, with modern tech, it can be burned as clean as gas, our gas deposits are more then any place in the world (we are the SAUDI in the gas world), our nuke tech is the number one in the world, we build every where but here, our oil reserves are equal to the great world supplies. NO NEW refineries have been built since the early 80s, COMPANIES have be PREVENTED from all of the above in this COUNTRY by kuggers and in turn PC GOV. and their REGS.
HECK we can't even build a pipeline to bring LITE crude south.

Just CURIOUS, do you know what a ON shore well cost to drill, dry or not. It is not like you see on TV, at least 50% are dry, oil may be there but DEEPER then your drilling permit, your drill contract is up (yes most rigs drill on contract) and it is already contracted to drill another site ( some as far a TWO years in advance), it goes, does not matter about break downs, being close, ect..After a good well then the pipeline needs to be built, on and on and on, BEFORE anyone sees a dime. The companies do not make there money on one well but a lot of wells. Now MULIPLY ALL the ABOVE by at least 10 for off shore

YES the SPILL was bad, but NO WHERE as bad as the PRESS and the GOV. made it out to be, Yes things happen, there is no way to prevent 100% of the time things happening, if we need to do that lets start with banning TP so there in no more blockages and backups, and then keep on banning everything to PREVENT any POSSIBLE event

Goose2448

All these "green" buildings" we are building are built the same way the rest of them are, and we just dont care what gets dumped on the ground. I actually spray diesel fuel and hydraulic oil mix over my pump to keep the concrete from sticking too it, it drips all over the ground.

And as far as more taxes, screw that. I spend, personally at work, around $100 a day in fuel alone. Our company can not afford more taxes on fuel or anything for that matter. Raise taxes, and your buildings fall down. And its not like we are a small company, we gross around $50 Million or more a year.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Anybody that believes that the gooberment needs more money to waste is free to write them a check.

I just love rich liberals that want to take other peoples money and give it to non-productive eaters that have no purpose in life other than sucking off the public teat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks