• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New exhaust thought and question

tourus

OK I need a new exhaust on my truck... 85 M1010 . I have a new stainless steel muffler that I bought a few years ago never used. It is 3" in and 3" out.. about 10" round and about 36" long. it was for a 350 with headers and y pipe that never got used.

so my idea is to make a y pipe 2 - 2 1/4 welded onto a 3" inch pipe then into the muffler and then all three inch out the rest of the way.

I am looking for input and ideas on weather it would be to much back pressure or not or work it not be enough flow .

cucvrus

My thought? Not proven. Plumbers theory. You have 2 1/4" - 2 1/2" header manifold pipes now trying to make their way thru a 3" opening. Roughly 5" of exhaust flow being forced into 3". Enough said? Don't design the exhaust system from the muffler front. You must design from front to back. Same thing I was taught. You enlarge the further you go back not make smaller. IMHO. It is fine withme if you don't agree. Its your truck and I am not an engineer in any shape or form. Just a novice. Have a great day.

MarcusOReallyus

The cross sectional area of a 2 1/4" pipe is 3.976 square inches. You have two, so that's doubled, to 7.952 sq. in.

A 3" pipe has a cross sectional area of 7.069 sq.in.

That means you'd be losing almost a full square inch.

Probably not a good plan. Listen to cucvrus. He's got it nailed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks