• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Forum member and just purchased a 1078a1

LMF

Hello,

I have been looking at these for a while and finally decided to start the journey. I bought a 2003 1078a1 off GP at the Saraland AL location and am waiting for my EUC to go through. I have read through FarmingSmallKubota's thread here and also looking for a little advice.

Does anyone here have experience with that yard? (Looks like it's at a Wrecker service yard Pitts and Sons in Saraland AL) I see some people mention in Kubota's thread that if anyone is nearby to have them do a quick inspection. The auction inspection by GP confirms it as running after jump starting and it looks in decent shape kind of nervous about heading 1000 miles away to drive it back though. Still contemplating that or I could potentially have it transported home, I'd like to avoid that cost though and have the experience of driving it back.

If I do end up driving it back, I want to come up with a good checklist to make sure I have my bases covered so to speak. I have looked around the forum here a bit and at some of common issues threads. Has anyone done a "Do these things before driving it home thread" already? I just don't want to miss anything from a batteries/electrical check, lubes, and fill with fluids standpoint.

I'm sure I'll post again soon with updates and look forward to the replies.

Green Mountain Boys

My 1998 M1078 from GovPlanet was in exceptional condition and located 900 miles away. I took a chase vehicle and as many tools and fluids as would fit in the car and drove it home with no issues. Most of the trucks I see for auction I would not be comfortable driving home. I guess it comes down to how skilled you are at solving problems on the side of the road and your risk tolerance. I can help you with a check list of you decide to drive it home. I strongly suggest a chase vehicle. I kept my speed to not more than 52MPH to keep the RPMs lower and to reduce vibration. You are likely to find the tires have flat spots. It took my truck 300 miles for the tires to round up enough so I could hit 50mph and still keep my a** on the driver's seat. The tires took more than 1,000 miles before they got back to normal. I also never drove more than 50 miles without a quick stop and walk-around to check for problems.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hello,

I have been looking at these for a while and finally decided to start the journey. I bought a 2003 1078a1 off GP at the Saraland AL location and am waiting for my EUC to go through. I have read through FarmingSmallKubota's thread here and also looking for a little advice.

Does anyone here have experience with that yard? (Looks like it's at a Wrecker service yard Pitts and Sons in Saraland AL) I see some people mention in Kubota's thread that if anyone is nearby to have them do a quick inspection. The auction inspection by GP confirms it as running after jump starting and it looks in decent shape kind of nervous about heading 1000 miles away to drive it back though. Still contemplating that or I could potentially have it transported home, I'd like to avoid that cost though and have the experience of driving it back.

If I do end up driving it back, I want to come up with a good checklist to make sure I have my bases covered so to speak. I have looked around the forum here a bit and at some of common issues threads. Has anyone done a "Do these things before driving it home thread" already? I just don't want to miss anything from a batteries/electrical check, lubes, and fill with fluids standpoint.

I'm sure I'll post again soon with updates and look forward to the replies.
Welcome to the Outfit!

Congratulations on you New-To-You truck too. Time spent checking fluids will be well spent for sure. A second driver following you with tools and fluids sure will be nice if something goes wrong. Spending a little time reading through the Technical Manuals (the -10 in particular) will be helpful.

I would take @Green Mountain Boys offer on the checklist.

Take pictures and keep us posted on your recovery.

LMF

Thanks for the input. I have called around for some shipping quotes and think I have decided to go that route. I was planning on a chase vehicle as well but was having a hard time convincing my dad that this would be a great adventure and not just a headache.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks for the input. I have called around for some shipping quotes and think I have decided to go that route. I was planning on a chase vehicle as well but was having a hard time convincing my dad that this would be a great adventure and not just a headache.
Dads have seen more and done more things...
He might be the smartest guy you will ever know too.

There is real value to broke down in the yard at home.
Especially when compared to broke and on the side of the road.
One way you gotta find a solution now. The other way it can be done over several days if you need to.

Green Mountain Boys

Welcome to the Outfit!

Congratulations on you New-To-You truck too. Time spent checking fluids will be well spent for sure. A second driver following you with tools and fluids sure will be nice if something goes wrong. Spending a little time reading through the Technical Manuals (the -10 in particular) will be helpful.

I would take @Green Mountain Boys offer on the checklist.

Take pictures and keep us posted on your recovery.
My list covers much of the basic stuff because I tend to forget stuff. I am sure it is not complete. You can add as you see fit. It took 2 of us 4 to 5 hours to complete this list. There were a couple of minor things we need to fix and we removed and stowed the tarp and bows. Some time was taken to just get familiar with the vehicle.

Before starting vehicle
1. Walk around looking for leaks or obvious issues
2. Check tire pressure and inspect
3. Check battery voltages (4 but only 2 are required for operation)
4. Clean battery terminals
5. Check engine oil from left side (can be done without raising cab)
6. Check transmission oil level
7. Check engine coolant level and contamination
8. Check 4 glad hands
9. Check all doors, latches, troop seats, canvas, ladder, spare tire etc for anything not secured
10. Check differential fluid levels
11. Check planetary gear fluid levels
12. Check air/hydraulic power unit oil level
13. Check air filter
14. Check windshield washer fluid level
15. Check wiper blades
16. Check air tanks to be sure they are closed
17. Remove fuel cap and check fuel (I do not rely on fuel gauge on an unknown truck)
18. Inspect under the truck for damage to underside. Drive shafts, leaf springs, transmission, air lines etc. Grease all fittings.
19. Check windows, mirrors, door latch/handle, seat belt
20. Open electric panel on passenger side dash and check for missing breakers
21 Check to be sure parking brake is on
Vehicle Start
22. Turn Master power switch on
23. Check dash warning lights are illuminated STOP, PARK BRAKE, EMERGENCY BRAKE, REAR BRAKE AIR, FRONT BRAKE AIR, ENGINE OIL PRESSURE
24. Start engine, check for oil pressure, low air alarm will sound, check air gauges for building air pressure
25. Observe gauges while checking wipers, lights. Light switch must be turned on
26. Check to be sure steering wheel adjustment is correct and tight (It is not so fun to find the steering wheel adjustment is loose while at 50mph)
27. Check heater/defroster function
28. Check CTIS function when low pressure alarm ceases
29. Walk around looking for leaks (fluid and air) and turn on Cab Air Bags at control panel
30. Manual throttle to high idle to warm engine and listen for air dryer purge
31. Keep checking gauges
32. When engine is warm shut down
Engine off
33. Walk around for fluid and air leaks
34. Raise cab
35. Check belts, radiator fan and fan clutch, radiator, fluid leaks, power steering fluid
36. Check engine for loose or missing bolts and hose clamps (oil line of death)
37. Check for water in fuel and drain air tanks to make sure they are dry
Engine On
38. Start engine and check alternator output, lower cab and be sure it is locked
39. Check transmission function
40. Check for steering play and horn function
41. Check brakes and throttle pedal is free and returns to idle
42. Take a short, low speed drive and make sure transmission shifts correctly
43. Park and turn off engine, walk around for fluid and air leaks. Check transmission coolant system for leaks.
44. Drive the truck at speed for a short drive and then check for any components that are abnormally hot like differentials, brakes, tires and hubs.
45. Drive farther and keep stopping and checking. I never drove more than 50 miles on my recovery without a walk around.

Note: I installed a cheap amber rotary beacon on the truck before I drove it home to try to be more visible at night on the highway. My recovery was mostly interstate driving and it was mostly at night because it was during the short, early winter days. It was easy to do and I am glad I had it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks