• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New from Alaska

flyusn99

From Alaska

Welcome! The site is great, a number of guys on from Alaska. I'm from Ketchikan but currently on active duty in the Navy and stationed down in Jacksonville, Florida. Be home in a few years though.
Your should be close enough to do some recoveries from Anchorage, only problem is the cost to get it over on the AMHS or the barge... Good luck, give me a shout if I can be of any assistance....

James

akguy

Hello from Anchorage. Welcome to the "green disease"......:mrgreen: Hopefully your not going to be on Kodiak too much longer. Kinda long way from your local GL!!!!!!!!!

M1Kodiak

Actually... I'm in Fairbanks until the summertime for school, and it looks like Ft. Wainwright has some trucks and trailers up! :D Do either of you know if you need a CDL for the 5 ton trucks? I have been looking around on the site and everybody has their own opinions on the matter, or answers for states other than AK, of course. I will probably try to get a smaller truck though, don't want to get too crazy.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just left Wainwright. I read up on it while I was there, and it appeared as though you'll need a CDL for a 5 ton unless you register as a historic vehicle. No reason not to register as historic if its just going to be a hobby truck. If you're going to work it for somebody besides yourself, or get paid to use it at all you'll need a CDL. All the regs are on the Alaska.gov DMV site. Read up, or go talk to the ladies over on Peger. They were always helpful for me and even went out of their way to answer questions and help me out with an odd registration. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

flyusn99

5 ton

Sorry for the delay in replying. Couple things, the 5 ton technically requires a CDL in Alaska. The only time you'll need it is if/when you get pulled over (just like any license really) I'd personally get one just to be safe but its your call. Chances are that most cops won't mess with you for fear of the inordinate amount of paperwork that dances through their minds.
One other thing, Alaska statues state that any vehicle over 10,000 pounds registers in the commercial rate catagory, you can get historic plates but as per the statue that still doesn't exempt you from the $500ish registration fee. When I registered my Deuce the lady asked what the body style is to which my father (who was helping me out) replied pick-up, the lady behind the counter then proceeded to drop one of the 0's off the registration and charge me the standard $110 or whatever.... No complaints here.... Anyhow just figured you might like to have that info....

James

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just got back from vacation in AK. Who owns the MV's in Fairbanks along the Chena river? Nice trucks, made me think of my M814 back home.

M1Kodiak

flyusn99,

I think i would rather just get the CDL to be safe, but definitely use the "pick up" body style on registration to keep it on the cheap. On second thought i might just look into getting a smaller truck as well.

EMD567,

Not sure, i may have to take a look though. I saw a ratty looking deuce at fred meyers today and had to park next to it to get a better peek.

AceHigh

I had a CDL 5 years ago and gave it up since I was not using it. Those things are tough to get and expensive to keep with the physicals and all.

About 30 years ago in WV all you did is go in and give them an additional $5 for a chauffers license. The good old days.

blybrook

Welcome M1Kodiak,

I don't know who has the ones along Chena River, but take a drive down Farmers Loop, there's a couple parked past the golf course on the left (near the University).

There's been a few deuces driving around town too, I know one is owned by one of the counter guys at Napa off Airport Way. There's another local that uses his to haul firewood.

And yes, you'll need a CDL to drive that 5 ton that is out there. I know several guys looking at it...

Bill

TreadLite

I'm not sure about the ones along the Chena but I was driving mine around this summer, until the radiator started leaking. I'm on The Slope but my Deuce is in Fairbanks. I have historic plates and I think it was $25 - one time fee.

Welcome aboard M1Kodiak from the great state of Montana. Was stationed there at Fort Richardson from 1967 to 1969. My deuce came from there in 2000 on a barge and bought at a state auction. Posting a thread on my unit after this post. Good luck in you finding an MV. Elemendorf AFB might be your best bet elkhunter

Last edited:

71DeuceAK

I'm also another Alaskan member, who plans to be living in Fairbanks for college, starting next year. Looking to get a Deuce or 5 ton and have a possible '71 Deuce project in the works, but always looking...for a 939 series 5 ton.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks