• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New from Indiana m813

Jayrassic

Currently going through the motions to pick up a 1970 m813 next week. I've been looking at 5 tons for 3 years now and the time looks like it has come. It says it was rebuilt in 1996? and guages currently read 5550 miles and 186 hours, but from past reading not sure what value that holds as it sounds like guages could have been swapped out randomly from reading other posts. It has a Block heater, electric wipers, cab heat and defrost, good tires (stored in a barn when not in use) wspare and the cargo tarp w seats. Looks like all is there and the seller and his wife were awesome to deal with, great people! I test drove it and I am sure was grinning ear to ear. Other than needing some new paint the main flaw appeared to be the softop ductaped to cab along the front edge.

My question is since I will be taking it on a 150 mile trip home can someone point me to a check list of things that I should certainly check before hitting the road? I did the usual car stuff turn signals, check oil, but wonder if there is anything else I should be checking on her?

Looking forward to hanging out!
jays m813.jpg

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the throttle return spring and all the fuel lines, including the plastic return line from the injector pump. Welcome to the 813 club and to the site.

pmramsey

If the truck has been sitting a bunch and outdoors, the brakes may be somewhat of an issue. If it feels as if you are driving in mush after breaking hard, you may have some water and rust in the system. A temp solution is to back up and brake before moving forward. It may take a couple of attempts but you will get underway. Master cylinders often rust and crap out and non or slow-release of the brakes is an indication. Check the air shifting between reverse and first gear. Work it back and forth several times. The valve is on top of the transmission. There is a door on the floorboard just ahead of the driver's seat. You may need to spray some WD-40 in the valve opening. The two small balls inside can stick and make shifting a mess and can even make the truck jump and hop because it is trying to go into reverse just after getting underway when moving forward. These are great trucks once you know them and yours looks like a real beauty. Good luck with it. The more you know about it the more you will come to enjoy it.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like a nice truck. Of my vehicles, the M813 is still the most enjoyable to drive.

A decent rule of thumb for speedometer and hour meter going together is an average of around 10mph, but that still doesn't mean the total mileage is accurate. The chances of the gauge showing actual mileage is probably less than 50/50 on an Army truck. Marine trucks actually have a fairly high chance of being correct, because they are supposed to keep the odometer, or set a new one to the original mileage when it gets replaced, when trucks get worked on. Thus Marine trucks usually show higher mileage that their other service counterparts. (This information from various sources, including my son who was Combat Engineer Motor T in the Marines).
But, it's the military, so no rule holds fast.

Once you get going, after a couple of miles stop and feel your brake drums to see if any are heating up, and do so again every time you stop. A hot drum, one that is uncomfortable to hold your hand on, is a good indication of a dragging brake. For some reason, it has always been a rear brake that drags on my truck. You can feel it when you drive, but if you are unfamiliar with the truck, it may be hard for you to notice it. You can't go far with a dragging brake, they WILL catch fire!
I always carry a couple of jerry cans of water with me, and a 3' section of hose that fits on the spout (from a dishwasher, I think?) so I can cool a truck or trailer brake enough to get somewhere to fix it. The hose is so you can direct the water to exactly where you need it.

Best of luck on the recovery! [thumbzup]

Cheers

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A 1970 M813, should be a Jeep Corp Truck, real collector's item. Follow all advise given, double check the brake master cylinder, ensure it is full (DOT5) fluid, not DOT 3/4. If it ran and stopped good during the test drive, buy it and take it for another test drive, just keep going 'till you get home. Stay out of the fast lane. Truck looks familiar, is it out of So. IN?

Jayrassic

Well the recovery went well, well mostly well. about 60 miles into the 140 mile trip the rain came pouring down, the wind ramped up and the soft top plastic strip tore from the canvas...quite the ride to remember water just gushing in,running down the inside of the windshield onto the dash and puddling on the floor. rain smacking me off the face...we were soaked...but what a memory made we laughed so hard and stopped at the next gas station and bought paper towels duct tape and mountain dew. Once home I think the plastic can be stitched back on and run back into the channel...if not a new soft top it will be. It is parked out in front of the house for now (I am sure to the neighbors delite!)

Some things noted

- oil pressure at idle was around 30 but climbed to 7-80 under load is this normal?
- tires have a ripple effect on the sidewalls, broken belt? seems to be on all tire sidewalls but no dry rot looks like tires are dated around 2005
- the bad...looks like the wheel threw-up... some type of rubber fitting/ seal blew on the passenger front inner wheel and sprayed grease everywhere please see pics below) is this a bearing seal or some type of knuckle seal? Looks like next mission is a 20 ton jack and parts once I know what the part is.... none the less this was an awesome experience! thank y'all for your input andimage000000.jpgimage000001.jpgimage000002.jpg help on getting her home!

Jayrassic

A 1970 M813, should be a Jeep Corp Truck, real collector's item. Follow all advise given, double check the brake master cylinder, ensure it is full (DOT5) fluid, not DOT 3/4. If it ran and stopped good during the test drive, buy it and take it for another test drive, just keep going 'till you get home. Stay out of the fast lane. Truck looks familiar, is it out of So. IN?
There was no fast line for sure!! 52mph was it. LOL bought and the second 140+ mile test drive complete. Im fighting a charlie horse gotta lift em feet high to get on the pedals. Came from Central Northern IN of Lafayette.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well the recovery went well, well mostly well. about 60 miles into the 140 mile trip the rain came pouring down, the wind ramped up and the soft top plastic strip tore from the canvas...quite the ride to remember water just gushing in,running down the inside of the windshield onto the dash and puddling on the floor. rain smacking me off the face...we were soaked...but what a memory made we laughed so hard and stopped at the next gas station and bought paper towels duct tape and mountain dew. Once home I think the plastic can be stitched back on and run back into the channel...if not a new soft top it will be. It is parked out in front of the house for now (I am sure to the neighbors delite!)

Some things noted

- oil pressure at idle was around 30 but climbed to 7-80 under load is this normal?
- tires have a ripple effect on the sidewalls, broken belt? seems to be on all tire sidewalls but no dry rot looks like tires are dated around 2005
- the bad...looks like the wheel threw-up... some type of rubber fitting/ seal blew on the passenger front inner wheel and sprayed grease everywhere please see pics below) is this a bearing seal or some type of knuckle seal? Looks like next mission is a 20 ton jack and parts once I know what the part is.... none the less this was an awesome experience! thank y'all for your input andView attachment 639848View attachment 639849View attachment 639850 help on getting her home!
Welcome from Michigan it looks like your going to be needing these.
[h=1]TM's for the 809 series 5 ton[/h]

Jayrassic

Yep have em... the digital books of those available on google books are searchable too if ever looking for content in em, it's a nice feature. I just can't seem to find what the rubber boot piece is called in the hub assembly structure.