• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new from indiana

tequilaiam

Hi all! I'm 99% certain I'll be picking up a M1009 within the next week or so. Vehicle has starting issues so I'm signing up ahead of time to ask questions and view posts/diagrams. I'm not too afraid of electrical debugging and wiring and these seem pretty simple. Here's to hoping I don't need a new starter and its just a relay and burned wire!

Barrman

Read the sticky threads at the top of the CUCV forum, download the manuals, print them if you can and learn to spend all your spare time looking at the huge troubleshooting section of the -20 manual. The wiring really IS simple. Once you get your head around it.

DHennon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello and welcome from Orlando, FL.

I was born in Bloomington, went to IU and graduated from Indiana State in Terre Haute. My father was the Exec in the NG at their location just south of town. He was part of an Artillery unit.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Read the sticky threads at the top of the CUCV forum, download the manuals, print them if you can and learn to spend all your spare time looking at the huge troubleshooting section of the -20 manual. The wiring really IS simple. Once you get your head around it.
Welcome , you can download the TM's for free at either of these sites;
www.jatonkam35s.com or www.liberatedmanuals.com

tequilaiam

Hello and welcome from Orlando, FL.

I was born in Bloomington, went to IU and graduated from Indiana State in Terre Haute. My father was the Exec in the NG at their location just south of town. He was part of an Artillery unit.

Small world huh? I'm actually an Indiana transplant....took the road less traveled and came to Indiana for college and then stayed! I met my wife in TH while she was at ISU and I was attending RHIT.

And speaking of wife...boy is she going to be mad when there's a cammo painted 30 year old vehicle in the driveway.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

tequilaiam

One step ahead of you ;) I looked at the vehicle and after talking to the owner I think I know what I need for it. I'm just waiting for our schedules to line up to sign it over and start the fun.

The diesel engine and simplicity is what attracted me to these things. I've spent the last few weeks debugging my VW diesel's air conditioning system; they are a real PITA and you really need an oscilloscope and computer software to know whats going on. I'm looking forward to wrenching on something where I can sit in the engine compartment and don't need to take wheels or body panels off for simple fixes.

tequilaiam

Well I took delivery last night. I thought I was going to tow it but after reviewing the starter relay thread I decided to bring a bag of tools and some heavy wire. Took about 5 minutes to get it "hot wired" and running and I drove it home.

Only problem I had was breaking the drivers vent window trying to figure out how to open it.

I think there is a problem with the fuel system, the filter needs bled and a good bit of cranking until it starts but all in all not bad for something I thought I'd have to drag home and throw money at to get running.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks