• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New from Morgantown WV

irishjeeper

Hello all, My name is Sean and I have had a few old Military vehicles from the 68 M715 and 55 M38A1 I own now, I have also owned a 44 Chevy Feild light truck (no lights), 41 GMC troop carrier that came from Oregon, it was used for years as an extraction vehicle for lifted 4x4's at some big mud bogg. I have also had a couple of MB flat fenders, 2 more M715's and a M725.
Oh yea and a 1957 ford custom sedan 4 door that I found in Hico TX that was stil wearing most of its OD green from when it pulled duties in the Army.
I have always liked old Military vehicles, Jeep's, and old and odd 4x4's.

My poor old M715 I own now was the victim of a thoughtless PO who removed the original drivetrain and installed J10 running gears including the 1/2 ton rears and automatic, also hacked up dash, so it will not be a sock or restored vehicle, it will instead get 1 ton rears and prolly a Cummins TD from a 1st gen Dodge. It does have an arctic top and a fair body so it is going to be a nice work truck and some play too.

I also own 9 more Jeeps, I really need a different hobby, lol.

I am really glad to have found this site, it looks like a wealth of knowledge.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard from S.E. Ohio here...not far from Wheeling.

With all of the stuff you listed, it sounds like you came to the right place. Enjoy yourself.

HAWKMAN

Always great to welcome a new "lover of OD" to this site! I think you'll find these guys to be a wealth of knowledge and a bit rough and tumble at times but always in good fun:-D. I have several relatives in and around Morgantown as well as a Mom that lives in Lewisburg.....love WV a truly beautiful state!!:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D

Last edited:

The PIG Smith

Welcome from Fort Wayne, Indiana

I was born and raised in Putnam County, West Virginia, in the Scott Depot area.
My wife is from Saint Albans, West Virginia.

In the late 80's and early 90's, we lived not that far from you in Cumberland, MD.

I sure do miss your part of the world, but as the work dried up, I moved to the Midwest.

Go eer's. I graduated from WVU in 06. I spent a good six years in that town and I consider it my home. I was born in Buchannon WV. I am in Army Flight School at Fort Rucker, AL at the moment but will be done in march headed home and looking for a job as I am National Guard in Wheeling. I am hoping to find something near Morgantown. I will have to look you up when I get home!
Eric

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Gotta love Mo'town! I spent 6 wonderful years there at WVU (1993-99). I worked at the bars and at WVU Printing Services to help pay my bills. My wife and I still visit many times throughout the year to tailgate and root on the Mounties. Too bad about the bowl game. I will shoot you a PM next time we are headed that way.

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
Welcome fellow addict. Great party town you have there. I remember when we dropped off our freshman daughter at the dorm and the Frat houses across the street had the porches filled with kids and the party occurring, oh yea it was only 9am... By the time we got her in, and settled and made 6 trips to Wal-Mart it was 8pm. Now the town had a vibration from the bass sytems of an infinite number of houses that had the parties going at warp speed. I said to myself" self you need to be 30 years younger and in one of those houses getting the first good buzz of a the school year". Nice party town. welcome to our site!!!!

DieselBob

Welcome to the site. There is a great wealth of information from members available. I use to get to Morgantown pretty regular. Mom's family was from there and Dad's was from Pt. Marion.

Gotta love Mo'town! I spent 6 wonderful years there at WVU (1993-99). I worked at the bars and at WVU Printing Services to help pay my bills. My wife and I still visit many times throughout the year to tailgate and root on the Mounties. Too bad about the bowl game. I will shoot you a PM next time we are headed that way.
I had no idea you were a fellow Mountaineer! I worked at a bar for three years I was there. Bent Willy's and another one thats been renamed several times. I went and watched our Gator Bowl disaster on the way back to Fort Rucker on Christmas leave.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I'm a Mountaineer also. Lived in Mo'town in the 80's and then again in the late 90's and up to 04. Was about 10 miles south on 119 toward Grafton.

If you look at my signature block after this message, you will probably recognize Gene Vance's name. He was with the SF unit (technically in Huntington/Kenova) but drilled at Kingwood.

Welcome to the site.

btw: I also would mention the bars I use to go to but I think the ones from the 80's are all gone and my second time around in Mo'town I was married and therefore had no money to go out.

saddamsnightmare

January 5th, 2010.

Cheers, Faith and Begorra, Irishjeeper. If you're in Morgantown, you are either partying or one legs shorter then the other....:twisted:! I was born in Wheeling, lived in Wellsburg most of my life, then Harpers Ferry (Middleway,actually), then got exiled to Texas (Devil take the hindmost). God grant that I get back east, or at least somewhere more like home. Pitty your M715 got chewed and abused.... but there's always more OD Iron to cure that itch.
Stay safe (warm is probably unlikely this week here or there), and good luck on your rehab....

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:-D

Remember, an Irishman and a WVU fan is never drunk as long as he can hold on to two blades of grass and not roll down the hill........:twisted:

irishjeeper

Thanks for all the welcomes, I wish I had some/any pics of my past rigs, albums got lost when I moved back here from TX last time, back in 96.
I will have to get some pics of my poor old M715. As for parting I do partake from time to time to be sure, and am glad to see that there are so many relocated Mounties out there, poor old WVU had a bad Bowl Game for sure but was still happy for FL's coach to go out the way he did, I hold no hard feelings, it's all good.
I look forward to talking to you all in the future. I need to get down to VA to pick up my M38A1 it's in Winchester area at cousins farm. then I can get pics of it as well.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I had no idea you were a fellow Mountaineer! I worked at a bar for three years I was there. Bent Willy's and another one thats been renamed several times. I went and watched our Gator Bowl disaster on the way back to Fort Rucker on Christmas leave.
That's fantastic. I worked at the Brass Alley, McGuffey's, Havana's, Bent Willy's, and Dr. Longshotz. I was barback, bouncer, and part-time bartender at the first 4 and then the doorman at Longshotz. Thankfully my liver survived.

I no idea we had so many WVU grads and ex-townies on this site! :-D

Irishjeepr, I will be back in the Mo'town area starting in February. Let me know if you need a hand turning wrenches sometime.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard from Western Ohio. My Dad was born in WV and I drive through Morgantown about 4 times a year on my way to DC and I always stop. :)

sw

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks