• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New from NJ

Worldpowerlabs

Greetings,

I'm just checking in as a new member from New Jersey. I've spent the last couple of days reading the newer posts on the site, and it's a great resource. I don't currently own any ex-military vehicles, but I do hope to be able to pick up a deuce once my housing situation changes (I currently rent a house and I'm about at my limit with 3 vehicles, plus insurance in NJ tends to be too darn high).

I'll mostly be reading posts, but if I have anything meaningful to contribute, I'll certainly jump in. My background is in electrical engineering, although I now own a business in a completely unrelated field. However, if you have electronics-related questions, feel free to send me a message...

Ben

rogersn67

Welcome Ben, it is good to find a fellow NJ MV fan.... Glad to see I am not alone.. lol. I too am looking for a deuce, have you started looking yet, or are you just fantasizing right now? I went down to Ft Meade Maryland yesterday and picked up a m105a2 I got from GL. Someday I will either win an auction, or find the right deuce for me.

DEUCE1209

Welcome to the site! There is a lot of great information here about these trucks. Do your homework and don't rush into buying the first Deuce you find or it could cost more than you think. I'm sure with some reading, you'll know what to look for to be able to pick a good one when you're ready. Happy hunting!

Worldpowerlabs

Thank you all for the warm welcome! At this point, I've started looking a little online to see approximately what it would cost to buy deuces in various conditions, from as-is at surplus auctions to fully-restored. Unfortunately, I think that the dream of owning one is more fantasy than anything else until I move -- I suspect that my landlord would actually be okay with me parking a deuce in the driveway, but that wouldn't leave any room for our other vehicles (2 cars and a van).

I do fully intend to buy a deuce sometime in the next 2 - 3 years, and I am trying to learn as much as I can to avoid making any expensive mistakes. I do like to restore things, but I've learned that the restoration process often costs more than I would have paid to purchase a nicer example of whatever in the first place!

rogersn67, if you don't mind my asking, how was your experience with GL? I have bid on some GL auctions in the past (never vehicles or trailers, though) but I've never won any of the items. Some of the lots I've bid on required an EUC from the winning bidder, and that process struck me as sort of a Catch-22. You have to file the EUC, which you cannot do until you win the lot. Processing the EUC can take something like 40 days but you have to pick up your items within a week or so... which, of course, you can't do until the EUC is processed.

Again, thanks to everyone!

Ben

rogersn67

Thank you all for the warm welcome! At this point, I've started looking a little online to see approximately what it would cost to buy deuces in various conditions, from as-is at surplus auctions to fully-restored. Unfortunately, I think that the dream of owning one is more fantasy than anything else until I move -- I suspect that my landlord would actually be okay with me parking a deuce in the driveway, but that wouldn't leave any room for our other vehicles (2 cars and a van).

I do fully intend to buy a deuce sometime in the next 2 - 3 years, and I am trying to learn as much as I can to avoid making any expensive mistakes. I do like to restore things, but I've learned that the restoration process often costs more than I would have paid to purchase a nicer example of whatever in the first place!

rogersn67, if you don't mind my asking, how was your experience with GL? I have bid on some GL auctions in the past (never vehicles or trailers, though) but I've never won any of the items. Some of the lots I've bid on required an EUC from the winning bidder, and that process struck me as sort of a Catch-22. You have to file the EUC, which you cannot do until you win the lot. Processing the EUC can take something like 40 days but you have to pick up your items within a week or so... which, of course, you can't do until the EUC is processed.

Again, thanks to everyone!

Ben
Hi Ben,

The first EUC I filed actually only too about 10 days. I was expecting it to take "up to 60 days", so imagine my shock when I had to go pick up my generator 500 miles away so quickly... lol! As far as dealing with GL, my experience thus far has been fine, everyone has been helpful, and polite. The one thing I will say is make sure you preview the lots, and get a feel for what you are buying, before you bid on it! I got lucky when I bought my gensets, but I have heard alot of tales on here about the mess people got. If you can't preview, post here, there may be a member going to look at other stuff that might be willing to look it over for you. Feel free to PM me sometime, and we can talk more.
Roger

rickf

Ben, Another Jersey guy here. That ten day pickup is AFTER the EUC is processed and you get the paid in full invoice. I had to reschedule a pick up because I was on vacation and I had no problems. My dealings with G/L have been good so far.
What part of Jersey are you in?

Rick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks