• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New from Phoenix Arizona

Voyeurger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello All,
Glad to have found you. I posted once before now seeking advice/help on my 1986 M923 because the thread was dealing with my exact issue. Then I noticed the last post before mine was three years ago. DOH!
Anyway, I love this glorious monster truck. If someone could direct me to the M923 forum I'd be much obliged. Would that be the "5-ton and up" forum?
Specifically I'm going from 4 batteries to 2 and seek help with rewiring diagram.
Cheers,
Gary

Voyeurger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Questions converting 4 battery wiring to two battery wiring on M923 cargo

Before anyone flames me for a dumb newbie (which, coincidentally, I happen to be), this forum's FAQ's come up as "Error". Also I DID find three year old postings dealing with my exact questions but not quite getting me home.

It is my understanding that, especially in warm environments, that two commercial truck batteries will perform just fine in lieu of the common four battery set up. I've pulled the four old, very dead, batteries, and have two brand new truck batteries. The poster from three years ago showed this conversion:
batteries.jpg
My battery posts are oriented differently, but I think I have it right, assuming his VE- and VE+ are the two cables coming out of the truck bed (what else could they be?). He makes no mention of the three small gauge wires (shown in gold on drawing below) coming from the same hole. Two of them were attached to the terminal posts with the cables so I let them ride, no problem. It's the third orphan wire that I seek advice on. From my drawing would you say the two batteries will correctly be hooked in series? And, anybody know where that mystery wire should go?
Two Battery Wiring.jpgThanks very much guys.
Gary

Voyeurger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Suprman! So I attach it to either post on the bridge ends? I have no idea how this stuff works. Cabling a positive terminal on one battery to the negative on another!!?? Insanity! I must follow instructions. I am lost.
Gary

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Yes either one is fine. To get 24 volts you put two 12 volt batteries in series. The truck originally had 2 pairs each in series then paired together in parallel for double the current.