• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New from scranton pa

repsher

Hi everyone I'm new to the site. I'm also new to military vehicles. I've rode in a friends m35a2 and loved it and am now interested in buying one. Just a few questions though. How should I register it. My driving would be around town mostly...kids to school and grocery and so on. And then hopefully find someone close by who would go off roading also. I'm also a carpenter so I could use it to haul garbage to dump. My friends is strictly a farm truck so he was no help. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

85 USMC M998

Sounds like you should register it as a regular truck. I had mine that way for years until it became a antique then I registered it as such. In MI antique plates are $30? for 10? Years with the stipulation that the vehicle is not to be used daily; but for parades, car shows and Sunday drives.

barefootin

Welcome from your south... I have mine registered as a regular truck... Keep in mind that at the weight class, registration in PA will be $438.00 a year. I will also caution you that with a class 8 registration in PA (can't answer for other states), you can no longer drop trash off at the landfill or also as in my case local incinerator unless you obtain a DEP license... I was turned away with a load of personal yard debris the last time I went to our drop off site also... This must be something more recent, as I didn't have problems until late summer of 2014 and it is not like I go a lot. Maybe twice a year with household/barn/yard clean up....

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
Barefootin,I have roll off dumpster trucks.In Pa.any truck over 17k gvw requires a DEP issued permit to enter landfills.They are a pain in the a$$ to get.

Al Harvey

Welcome from Tennessee. Fair warning, you are about to be fully infected with the MV virus. The more you scratch, the more land your gonna need for parking. LOL

barefootin

Barefootin,I have roll off dumpster trucks.In Pa.any truck over 17k gvw requires a DEP issued permit to enter landfills.They are a pain in the a$$ to get.
Thanks John, When I looked into it, I determined that it was not worth the hassle for me as I don't make a living out of it... I just have to make more trips in the old Chevy. The Deuce still earns her keep hauling my firewood and doing the other things the OP mentioned. Besides, the smiles per gallon are still worth ownership. I just wanted the OP to be aware that trips to the dump are not in the cards anymore (thanks for confirming) and PA registration makes up for any savings on insurance vs owning a regular pick up...

PaFarmer

ageregunner

Welcome from the Kutztown area. I have my duece registered Antique. No state inspections required and my insurance is $100 a year. With an antique or classic plate you are only allowed to drive it once a week and or to parades and collector events. For what you want to do, better register it as a normal truck. A M35a2 unloaded with a winch weighs 13,700 lbs.

Howdy from a little south from you, we have 1 m35a2 registered as farm use and I have a bobbed m35a2 that soon will be registered normally. If you plan on using it on a regular basis as stated before go ahead and register it as a normal truck, if you are going to occasionally haul with it then you might get lucky with classic or antique plates. Either way enjoy it!

repsher

Thanks for all the info. i am truly excited to start the hunt for my deuce. Again anyone with any info where to purchase one would be great. I'm leaning towards one that is bobbed. Any thoughts on that?