• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New from Southern Indiana

rainemaker

Hey all new member from Southern Indiana, Corydon Area (30 min west of Louisville). Looking to get into a MV for farm / local use and some recreational. Plus big trucks are just cool :)

Hobbies include:
ATV / UTV riding around the area (Indiana, Kentucky, and WV mainly). Have a Can Am Commander that I get out and play in.
Guns - just plinking and reloading mainly, sport shooting not a huge hunter.
Tinkering - Manufactured several of the parts on my Commander and other vehicles. Have been a gear head since I was young anything that moves has to be taken apart and figured out how it works.
Fiberglass / Plastic molding / sculpting - Made several items for my Commander and other things sculpting and then fiberglassing, or molding and making a replacement plastic piece. More of a hobbyist in this area than any type of full production.
Powder Coating - Have done small batches of powder coating. Have not built my big oven yet but it is in the plans to complete sometime in my lifetime :D

eagle4g63

Welcome from up north.......you should check out our Haspin rally.........it is just south/east of Indianapolis.....coming up in June, you should come on by and see the big trucks and play.

jdknech

welcome! there are a few of us from the area.. i am about 30min away from you.. also check out the KILROY club (MVPA group) we meet once a month, and to all kinds of events around here, the biggest of them just happens to be near you! the lanesville Heritage Weekend.. if you would like more info on KILROY, or want to check out some trucks, feel free to send me a PM...
Josh Knecht

once again- Welcome to Steel Soldiers!

rainemaker

I frequent Haspin quite a bit there are a few videos of me on Youtube rolling my commander down devils backbone. Was a crazy ride, landed on all fours after 4 or 5 rolls end to end. So needless to say I stay at the top filming anymore :) I will have to make sure to make it up there for that. It sounds like a great oppertunity to check everything out!!

Here is a link to my youtube video. Was a rough day first weekend out with my commander. Hit that side just a little too hard and had my suspension setup too tight.

******Warning some choice words in the video ****************

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNkG3OT48-4&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

rainemaker

Thanks jdknech! I have family that lives up in Jeff around the airport, up there quite a bit! Usually go over to Lanesville or try to at least. It has been a few years since I have been up there but plan on making it this time around. I will send you a PM for sure, just trying to soak up as much info as I can and settle on which truck I want to go after or get more details on anyway.

Thanks to both of you for the warm welcome. Tons of info here and a huge amount of info!!

jdknech

Thanks jdknech! I have family that lives up in Jeff around the airport, up there quite a bit! Usually go over to Lanesville or try to at least. It has been a few years since I have been up there but plan on making it this time around. I will send you a PM for sure, just trying to soak up as much info as I can and settle on which truck I want to go after or get more details on anyway.

Thanks to both of you for the warm welcome. Tons of info here and a huge amount of info!!
are you looking for a 5 ton, or a deuce?

rainemaker

are you looking for a 5 ton, or a deuce?
Really have not decided yet, looking at the info on both. Also trying to determine budget and how to start out. Either a gov type auction or purchase off the site classifieds or from member. Not sure if I am ready to jump neck deep into a govt auction yet, although it would be a blast and a fun project.

jdknech

Really have not decided yet, looking at the info on both. Also trying to determine budget and how to start out. Either a gov type auction or purchase off the site classifieds or from member. Not sure if I am ready to jump neck deep into a govt auction yet, although it would be a blast and a fun project.
gotcha.. well the upside for you is that Indy is a major sales site for Gov truck sales.. even if it doesnt run, its not to far to tow-bar it home..
if you would like to come check out a few trucks, i have a M932A1 (5ton tractor), and my friend up the road has a M35 (2 1/2 ton), and M813 (5ton cargo) just let me know when you want to come out...
and one saturday here in may, the kilroy group is doing a "off-road" meeting.. we will have about 500 acres to play on for the day in Charlestown.. I will try to get the date for you, and you are welcome to come out... (i will be there as well)

rainemaker

gotcha.. well the upside for you is that Indy is a major sales site for Gov truck sales.. even if it doesnt run, its not to far to tow-bar it home..
if you would like to come check out a few trucks, i have a M932A1 (5ton tractor), and my friend up the road has a M35 (2 1/2 ton), and M813 (5ton cargo) just let me know when you want to come out...
and one saturday here in may, the kilroy group is doing a "off-road" meeting.. we will have about 500 acres to play on for the day in Charlestown.. I will try to get the date for you, and you are welcome to come out... (i will be there as well)
Man that would be awesome, I would love to check them out for sure. Nothing like being able to see the options before making up my mind. Let me know the dates would love to come up and check things out. Sounds like a good time! Will send yuo a PM for sure once I figure out a few free weekends and see if we can work something out. Thanks a ton for this!!

I did notice Indy has lots of stuff, that is great we are pretty close! Was curious what the quality of trucks that come out of there. Ft Ben Harrison, was our old stomping ground. We went up to the 123rd arcom every weekend for what seemed like an eternity growing up!

Does Knox have many auctions or are they pretty scarce since armor moved out?

jdknech

Man that would be awesome, I would love to check them out for sure. Nothing like being able to see the options before making up my mind. Let me know the dates would love to come up and check things out. Sounds like a good time! Will send yuo a PM for sure once I figure out a few free weekends and see if we can work something out. Thanks a ton for this!!

I did notice Indy has lots of stuff, that is great we are pretty close! Was curious what the quality of trucks that come out of there. Ft Ben Harrison, was our old stomping ground. We went up to the 123rd arcom every weekend for what seemed like an eternity growing up!

Does Knox have many auctions or are they pretty scarce since armor moved out?
Knox has been getting pretty scarce as of late... back a couple years ago it was tons of M35's and CUCV's but nothing lately... and Indy actually is not on a military base, it is a offsite storage lot..

and just let me know when.. i keep my stuff in charlestown at my buddys farm (same guy with the 2 other trucks) and i am off every friday, and every other saturday.. (working this sat, off next)

Matt1970M35A

Welcome. JdKnech and I try to get tougher each weekend and work / play on our trucks and trailers.
I had my truck to Corydon a few time. Last time I ran chase for a local hot rod club.
Come up and check out our truck it help you make up you mind. Each truck has its pros and cons just need to check out what fits your needs.

rainemaker

Welcome. JdKnech and I try to get tougher each weekend and work / play on our trucks and trailers.
I had my truck to Corydon a few time. Last time I ran chase for a local hot rod club.
Come up and check out our truck it help you make up you mind. Each truck has its pros and cons just need to check out what fits your needs.
Thanks for the invite and will do that for sure. Pretty excited to make it up there and take a look at both of your trucks. Will try to work it out sooner rather than later. Ready to get going.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rainmaker,
Welcome from across the river. The Kilroy group are a bunch of good guys. They invited me out a couple of weeks ago and had a neat tour of the old powder plant. As for trucks, they have a little of everything. I have a M813A1 needing a good home, runs good, strong truck.
JC

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Josh,
I need to connect with the father/son team in Kilroy, the son drives the M35 and dad has the M813. I found an air cleaner rain cap for the 813 he has been searching for. Also may need help retrieving the M931 out of Indy. It is at a shop for evaluation. (coolant in oil). If it an engine change, I'll bring back to KY.
JC

jdknech

Josh,
I need to connect with the father/son team in Kilroy, the son drives the M35 and dad has the M813. I found an air cleaner rain cap for the 813 he has been searching for. Also may need help retrieving the M931 out of Indy. It is at a shop for evaluation. (coolant in oil). If it an engine change, I'll bring back to KY.
JC
Looks like Matt has sent you a PM (he is the son of the team.. Lol) and if you need a hand getting your truck down here, just let me know.. You have my number.. -Josh

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks