• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New from the Memphis area

codycr6

Just checking in from just outside Memphis, TN. I've had Jeeps and such in the past, looking to build another 4x4 next summer. I want to build something larger and with more space this time. I was originally looking at 1978-1979 Bronco's, but began to worry about axle strength with the 9 inch and Dana 44 combo. I found a few articles on the CUCV's, specifically the Chevorlet M1008 and M1009. I am leaning towards the M1008 because of the gearing and rear locker usually present. I don't know if I want to stay with the 6.2.... would probably swap in a nice 383 small block. One of my concerns is that I want to keep essential electronics to the minimum... I will admit to the worry of a possible EMP event in the future. I also considered a bobbed Deuce, and would still consider that. Can someone point me to some specs on what axles were in some of the other vehicles? I know the CUCV's and the deuces, but what about the earlier Dodge Power Wagons? Which of these vehicles make for the easier vehicles to build a nice hunting/camping vehicle out of?

gigabelly

I don't know the answer to your specific question, but I am trying to prep my M1008 for EMP also. What parts do you think should be stored? As far as I know, it is the alternator, and the glow plug solenoid. What about the ignition relay? Appreciate your ideas...

Jason

gigabelly

I don't know the answer to your specific question, but I am trying to prep my M1008 for EMP also. What parts do you think should be stored? As far as I know, it is the alternator, and the glow plug solenoid. What about the ignition relay? Appreciate your ideas...

Jason

littlebob

Welcome to the site! A deuce is 50's technology and probably your best bet for EMP. Any gas vehicle that has a points
type ignition would be an option for you. Have you considered a n M37 or M715?