• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New from Virginia

M925

I picked up a 2009 rebuild m925 from GL a couple weeks ago. I've been stalking the forums now for about a month. This seems like the place to find answers on MV.

I hope to see some of you and go ridding with you if you are ever in the New River Valley of Virginia, Blacksburg area.

I have a lot to learn and love my truck, I nick named it after what I call my wife when I'm mad at her: Edith, his masculine name is Ed.

When I was going to Indianapolis, IN to get my truck I saw someone driving a M923 tractor down 35 in Ohio, I supposed he had just picked his truck up too.

Still waiting on the SF 97, so I can get a tittle.

I did pass my cdl leaners test yesterday......I want to go to a rally but do not want to swamp my truck....

It's a mix around around town, but MV's aren't all that uncommon in the area. People start to get interested more when it's stopped and they notice the antique plate. Likewise people seem to really like driving alongside on the interstate, and taking videos with their camera phones :cookoo:. Overall I find that the general response has either been good or apathetic.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from Front Royal, VA....

Used to live in the NRV for 5 years when I was going through college and afterwards. I miss Blacksburg and Christiansburg area, love to move back someday, it's a pretty area.

cj8scrambler

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from Newport News. I also have a place not to far from you in Goshen. Next time I have the truck up that way I'll see if we can get together.

M925

It's a mix around around town, but MV's aren't all that uncommon in the area. People start to get interested more when it's stopped and they notice the antique plate. Likewise people seem to really like driving alongside on the interstate, and taking videos with their camera phones :cookoo:. Overall I find that the general response has either been good or apathetic.
You are definitely something different down there! Antique plates? You get to drive your rig much? I'm hoping they put 1984 on my SF97 and not 2009.....you've got a good commuter vehicle.

M925

Welcome from Front Royal, VA....

Used to live in the NRV for 5 years when I was going through college and afterwards. I miss Blacksburg and Christiansburg area, love to move back someday, it's a pretty area.
Yep I live in Radford....people here don't have much to talk about so they have been talking about that crazy guy with the army truck parked in his yard in the middle of town.

Did you go to RU VT or NRCC?

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from FL. Used to live in NorVA. Even know a couple people who work at NRVRJ. You need to make the Labor Day Rally up there, a great bunch of guys.

M925

Welcome from FL. Used to live in NorVA. Even know a couple people who work at NRVRJ. You need to make the Labor Day Rally up there, a great bunch of guys.
I volunteer to lead bible studies at the NRVRJ......I had been doing it for a year until time limitations, I can still go just no time. Good folks....lots of white paint and blue steel broken hearts and lives. I will try. I've asked my wife and she said no.....but I have all summer to change her mind.

Yes the antique plate works out pretty well for me, the main stipulation is that the vehicle cannot be used as a daily mode of transportation. I always try to get at least one "check drive" in during the week and a "Pleasure" drive on the weekends. The main advantage is the lack of a mandated annual inspection, and being able to keep things the way they are as it was built. You'll have to go on the DMV website and see if it will work for you if you choose.
Can you take a 5 ton on the Blue Ridge Parkway?
Yes, no commercial vehicles on the parkway, but driving for "pleasure" should be fine. RV's and tour buses go up and down it all the time so I don't think size would be too much of an issue.
1LT VaARNG here, I salute you!
When I got my CDL they used my military license in lieu of the driving portion of the test. I'm not sure if they still do that though.

Scarecrow1

Hello and welcome from SC..... My wife is from Danville we go back there a couple of times a year. Oh But what you guys call roads out in the country we call trails. How you are able to even drive those skinny roads in a 5ton is a feat unto its self. Our emergency lanes are wider than those roads :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks