• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new from western ma

Feal318000

hi all, im a new owner of a 96 m1078, 8,000 miles, from fort drum ny. .....and like all new members, i have a couple questions. the truck is clean, seems to run like a champ, and i think i got a great deal on it. That being said, im trying to chase down a air leak. the front "emergency" glad hand is always leaking when the truck is running. the 2 front air tanks hold 120 pounds for days, but when you shut off the truck the 3rd air tank drains out the front glad hand in a matter of 10 mins or so. i did search around this site for possible gremlins in the air system.... pulled apart the 3 check valves under the drivers seat,(the flappers looked new, no rips and still flexible, so i silicone sprayed them up, and re installed them) and still leaking. also the ctis is affected by this, sometimes it does its diagnosis, moves some air around, and then the hwy button light stays solid,, but lately all 5 lights just stay on all the time. any info would be awesome, and thanks!!

18operator

Welcome from Ohio! In regards to your air leak, I would change the glad hand if it's leaking from there. If that doesn't work, get a spray bottle with soapy water, air up the system and spray the mixture on all the connections. Like finding a leak in a tire.
Good luck with your project

Feal318000

ive had the glad hand off, and it has no internal check valves, basically its hollow. as for the tires, they hold air for days no problem. im pretty sure ive narrowed down this glad hand as the only leak on this truck.

Feal318000

no shut offs, and another thread advised on not capping them off. there is another part below the glad hand, but im unsure as to what it does....(possible culprit??!!??) ill go get a pic of it

HMMWV Nut

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wish i was closer to your location, I would come check it over for you aua. Just like 18operator said i would soap down all the fittings and check for leaks to start out with.

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from Attleboro, SE! I had the same problem when I was in the Motor Pool a few years back, But with age comes Air leaks too! I'll try and call some people tomorrow and get some help remembering what we did for the fix!

Cape Coastie

CWO4 ENG/MSS, USCG, RET.
Welcome from Cape Cod, MA. Don't know if I can help but "vintage iron" on here is a MV truck service mechanic here in Falmouth. If you need a contact number let me know. He is also on Facebook as "A & H Recon". You can look him up there. Good luck and don't forget about the MV show in Weare, NH at the end of July. I'll be there with the 5 ton.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks