• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New fuel pump install

Lild

I'm getting ready to install a new fuel pump, & this is my first mech. pump I've done. From what I read I can use a hacksaw blade to push the push rod back or up when installing new pump, & that when I pull the blade out it should make a squawking sound.

Does this sound right? Also I there any tips or tricks to make this easier, Other then removing the alt.?

thanks

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is that what the -20TM says?

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think it more of a 'squeel' than a 'squawking' sound.

Best thing to do:
Clean the shaft best you can
Place a dab of bearing grease on the shaft, half way up the shaft
Push the shaft all the way home
REAL FAST, place the fuel pump lever in the hole and UNDER the shaft
bolt it up and your good to go...

You might get lucky and the shaft stays in the up position...not very often though...thence the reason for using grease

Good Luck!

And for you guys having a dirty mind, get your mind outta the gutter! :mrgreen:

Hasdrubal

I've never taken the alt off. Its easier to get the rear most bolt started first as it has the worst access. Just thread it on a few turns..install fuel fitting and tighten, then install the forward bolt, lastly tighten the rear bolt. On rear bolt I use a 1/4" ratchet with combination of short socket and extension and just a deep socket. The clearance is very tight, Helps to put some gasket sealer on gasket so it stays in place.

Lild

I don't think this is right

Well got the fuel pump off. Surprisingly hardly any fuel came out of the lines, how ever the thick goo came out of the pump. Thinkin definite failure. Another notes the bolts were not that right either. So far wet bolt I have touches has been a lil better then finger tight.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like a brown eye.

Lild

Lol, I cut off the top of a milk carton, & poured that black stuff out of my ok fuel pump. Gettin ready to get some oil for a change.