• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Green Iron Owner...5 ton is home

pcblakeley

Well,

The journey has begun. Today I got my new M54A2 W/W delivered to my house. I decided to get it towed because I have never driven a truck this big and it is not insured or registered. It runs great and fires right up. I have noticed a few things that I need to address very soon.

• The brakes are spongy
  • The Exhaust pipe is rusted through
  • Get the alternator rebuilt and hooked back up
  • figure out how secure the batteries in the box better
  • adjust the winch reel
  • fix one flat tire
  • Add new seats
  • Get water/gas can for the side
  • get a new spare tire
I know this is the short list as it will grow when I learn more about this truck.

Attachments

emr

Well u have to start somewhere... that is a nice truck for sure, read all the gazillion threads about what to do when learning if U can, it is a wealth of info, All the best and good luck... Randy

M1075

Thanks for the pictures of it hooked to the wrecker. Very informative. Was the drive shaft disconnected for the tow or were the axles removed?

vtdeucedriver

Great looking M54. Glad you like taking pics cause we like looking at them. What are your plans for the truck???

Here is some help.
Your missing the box for the battery. Those sit in a box and the box slides out where your batterys currently sit.

Terry at White Owl will have a replacement exhaust pipe. 252-522-2586 Tell him jeff in vt send you

Canvas cover.......................weebee webbing has them

If you need any help
vtdeucedriver@yahoo.com

pcblakeley

Well, Glad you guys like the pics. I do like taking them!

The truck was towed 30 miles to my house and the guy that I bought it from just had the truck in neutral.

I plan on keeping it stock for a while. I think I may get some add ons for it to make it more efficient like spin on filters and stuff like that.

I will be adding some bigger tires for sure, might be getting the singles in a 1400 or something like that.

I do have to correct that alternator problem first so when it gets tagged I can drive it with lights.

I am going to insure it on Monday and get that tire fixed so I can take it for a little spin.

I do wonder what the history of the truck is....is there any way to figure out who had it or where it has been.

Now I have to get a line on a sandblaster and a lot of sand....and a big compressor,

Thanks for the support!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do wonder what the history of the truck is....is there any way to figure out who had it or where it has been.

quote]

Help for you on this topic is just a CLICK away....

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/members-rides/45889-2010-vin-info-thread.html

The ALL-KNOWING CARNAC can provide that help.
Please be sure to READ and FOLLOW post #1 in that thread and give him as much as you can to start the search. And, don't forget to help with a charitable donation there.

Best of luck,
John

steelandcanvas

Looks like a good basic truck to start with, congratulations! Ask alot of questions and do alot of reading. Be sure and download and read the TMs you need for your truck. Ask around about possibly joining a MV Club, they are good for networking parts and experienced help. Good call for not driving that bad-boy before you knew how or it was insured, you are going about things the right way.:)

vtdeucedriver

AWWW, sad to hear that your looking to do super singles. I was hoping that you would go semi gloss with a vietnam look. Oh well, cant have them all that way.

pcblakeley

hey, cut me some slack on the AAA sticker...I just got the truck...I already cleaned out the rats nest on the drivers side.....priorities brother!n :wink:

So, I gotta read up on the TM today on how to remove and test the alternator....gotta get those batteries charging so I can use the lights on her maiden voyage....after insurance and all.

I can't believe I haven't even driven this truck yet....just rode as a passenger...

After the alternator gets fixed, it will be time for the tire to get fixed...hope the local tire shop has 1100x20 tubes in stock.

I am looking for a big sand blaster and a good location to get it all dissasembled to blast....Maybe I will buy one....I gotta get some prices on media and then the possibility of renting one with a large compressor.

I gotta pic out a period specific color and then get all the stuff lined up to get it all rolling in the right direction.

airmech3839

Welcome to the site!!! Keep posting pics of your progress and spare no detail.....I would hate to miss out!! hehehehe

Nice looking truck... Wish I had a sandblaster...I just wire brushed and spraypainted.....I guess I am a low budget kinda owner!! Oh well!! Have fun!!

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to to the site and to the 5T fraternity. Go big, I always say[thumbzup]. Your M54 is quite a "purdy" lady. I like my 800 series, but there's just something about those ole' "flat grilles" that gets one's heart a-stirrin'. Treat her kind...