• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy and an M1008.

gator6romeo

Hey guys, I just bought my first military vehicle. After years of wanting one, I finally bought an M1008. It looks great but after sitting for almost 3 years, I have a lot of "kinks" to work. Seems like once one thing is fixed, another issue pops up. But once everything is finally done, Ill be able to pick up my son from school in the coolest truck around. Right now the interior needs a lot of work, I have no break lights, no right turn signal, my windshield wipers only work on low, my belts scream like a banshee, and the other day I think my glow plugs were making a loud vibrating/growling/buzzing/grinding sound and after a mile on the road I had smoke coming from under the dash. I was able to turn around make it back home okay though. I am picking up new belts tomorrow and will be tackling the other issues hopefully this weekend. This truck is beautiful and I can't wait till its a road worthy truck that I can drive daily. Luckily, I have found this forum and my neighbor is a good enough mechanic that I can hire him to do what I cannot. The Starter Solenoid Mod has been done but thats it so far. I have been studying up on wether to convert to straight 12 volt or not and have been reading a little on a glow plug fix, but am unsure if I should do them or not - What do you guys think? I have learned a lot from all of your postings and look forward to the day that I can use what I have learned from restoring this truck to help others as well. Installed/added to the truck are Humvee Goodyear MT 37 inch tires with bead locking rims and run flats. To accommodate the tires, it has a 4 inch lift on the rear and front. The rear has the ORD Shackle Flip Kit installed and the front has the Tuff Country EZ Ride Heavy Duty Leaf Springs Shocks. The front rims have a 2 inch spacer installed and four new Tuff Country SX-8000 shocks. The truck came from the National Forest Service where it was being used as a brush fire truck via the U.S. Army Ft. Polk, Louisiana. The paint is Gillespie Coatings, Inc. CARC. One thing I am not exactly sure of is: is the civilian equivalent for an M1008 a K10 or K30? If you guys have any suggestions for doing any mods to head off any problems, Im all ears. Thanks! The red pic is the "before" pic.

photo-6.jpgphoto 1.JPGphoto 3.JPGphoto-7.JPG

Last edited:

cucvrus

The truck was built off of 1984 Chevrolet K30 blue prints. The wiring and system works well as designed. You do have a few kinks to work out. The wipers sound like you need another wiper motor about $50. exchange at Autozone and warranted for life. Brake lights have a separate fuse. Check that fuse out carefully. The turn signal could be as simple as a bulb or flasher. Also the small tabs that ground the bulb in the light socket are prone to break off. New sockets are readily available at any auto parts store. The buzzing growling sound you hear is the glow plug relay on the fire wall it is holding the relay engaged and you hear it buzzing as it releases the contact. Check the connections. It may need replaced. The belts just need to be tightened or replaced. Have you checked out the TM's that are for this unit. They are on the site under the CUCV section. My opinion do NOT convert it to 12 volt. I have said all I am going to say about that. The truck will work fine with out hacking any of the wiring apart. I am done now. Good luck. PM me if you need any advise or parts. I will help you out the best I can. I have the same trucks running for 20 years now. Thank you for looking.

tommys2patrick

Hi and welcome from Colorado. In the before pic it looks like there were a number of red vehicles. Did you buy surplus from a local fire department? I like that you painted it camo. Try not to feel too overwhelmed. It can seem like a lot of little things need fixing. Ex military vehicles can be needy. The TM's ( technical manuals) are your best friend when it comes to setting things right.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard. Much info has been covered so I will only touch on 2 things. At the top of the CUCV forum there are helpful stickies. Refer tothem often as 95% of common issues have been covered there. Don't be intimidated by the TMs. Remember that TM 9-2320-289-10 is the operators manual. -20 deals with minor service and -34 major service. If the TM ends with a P, it's a parts manual.

gator6romeo

Thanks for all the advice guys! Finding this forum is one of the things that helped my decision to go ahead and buy this truck. The combined knowledge and support this forum provides is incredible. I haven't looked yet but I hope to find a collectors club to join so I can meet up with other CUCV owners. Im really excited about this truck, new friends, and just owning an old veteran like this truck! I was in the army for 12 years. Never drove a CUCV as we hand Humvee's, but I saw them in use every now and then. These trucks and their history really make them special. Thanks again fellas.