• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy, first CUCV

Diesel Pilot

Hey guys, love the site, lots and lots of good info.

I won a M1028 back in May from Wright-Pat and was in Dayton today and decided to stop by and take some pics and see what I might need to do when my EUC is approved.

Andrew is a great guy and was very helpful. The good news is that she might not need much. Andrew put a key in, and the dash lit right up and the glow plugs kicked in. It is down on oil and other fluids a bit, but it should go up on the trailer under it's own steam after a fluid top-off and a jump (fingers crossed).

This is my first CUCV and first EUC process and I'm hoping it doesn't take too long, submitted to Battle Creek on 6/4. This will be a good addition to the family, since I'm not going to go offroad in my 04 GMC Duramax anytime soon. I needed a truck that I can use for predator hunting and not worry about hurting the daily driver.

Any advice you guys can give me would be great, in the EUC process or titling process. I do have experience with the 6.2L and 6.5L platform and I'm not scared of the 24 volt system (will leave it). I have been searching the forum, trying to get as much info as I can.

Here are some pics from today.

IMG_0410.jpg

IMG_0416.jpg

IMG_0412.jpg

IMG_0420.jpg

keefer

Mpg

hey what do you get in the way of miles per gallon. Im just trying to get a rough estimate before I drop a bunch of money on a truck. also I heard that the 6.2L doesnt produce alot of torque compared to newer era diesels. anyone got any insite?

OL AG '89

Nice truck!!!!
you're gonna love the "no worry" driving of this, except for the little things that may go "bump in the night" or clunk or thunk or.... well you get the point.
Go through it with the PMCS in the -10 and -20...... as soon as you get it.....
you'll have a good idea of what shape it's in after that.
The 6.2 is a good engine for intended application. that said.... it's a little low on HP... around 180? the torque however is enough to get you into trouble and don correctly, right bak out it.... Notice I said done correctly!!

Blood_of_Tyrants

Familiarize yourself with rust converter. It works great. Just sand the bad areas of the rust to get it smooth and the bad paint off then wash the truck, dry it and paint on the rust converter. There is some stuff called 1 Step that is about $35 a gallon.

keefer

awesome info. @ OLG 81, could you point me in the right direction as far as that pmc stuff you were talking about for inspecting the truck? i did a thread search and came up with nothing.
@ the other guys, thanks a bunch also, i will try the rust converter, i heard it works good. ill probably go with the spray can stuff on the outside and herculiner on the inside.

OL AG '89

TM's all found in "resources" section on menu

You are looking for TM's covering CUCV TM-9-2320-289- 10, 20, 20P, 34, 34P.
I attached the l.o. (lube order) that covers this series just for some light reading. I keep this in the truck as well....
You can find everything you ever wanted to know about the vehicle and proper operation.
I downloaded them and keep them on a memory stick incase I get somewhere without internet access and I can just pull up detail on laptop I carry with me.

I have also printed the -10 and -20 PMCS (Preventative Maintenance Checks & Services) and carry them in a folder in the truck.

If you're not very mechanically inclined, you will be after owning one of these for a while, or need to find a "friend" who is and willing to work on the vehicle.
Either way, you'll really enjoy the vehicle the more you learn about its operational capabilities and limitations...

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
At the top of the CUCV forum there is an FAQ thread. Check that very thoroughly. Also, click on the resource button on the menu bar at the top, scroll down to tech manuals and download TM 9-2320-289-10 and TM 9-2320-289-20. I think both of these are linked in that FAQ article too. Enjoy the truck, it looks solid.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If this is your FIRST EUC it could take as long as three months, though these days the first one seems to take about six to eight weeks AT most.

I recently purchased an M1009 and the EUC cleared in two weeks. But I've purchased TONS of stuff from GL.

MAKE SURE you have filled out the EUC form properly and it was accepted BY GL. That's a big mistake most folks make is to fill it out and not check to make sure IT WAS accepted and forwarded on to Battle Creek.

PATIENCE WILL BE A VIRTUE AT THIS POINT. When you FINALLY get your 'paid' invoice you will have approximately two weeks to pick it up. You must make an appointment, but it is really easy once you have your paid invoice. Once you have that, then go get your truck. YOU WILL NEED both ID and insurance/registration of truck you are going on base with. Then bring it home and start working on it.

THEN WAIT SOME MORE.

Once you GET the SF97, which could take another month or two, then just follow your states rules and apply for a title. You should NOT have to pay the taxes to your state, because GL has already collected them. But a word to the wise. DON'T get into an argument over the small amount that you would have to pay by paying YOUR state the taxes a second time. PAY THAT and just let them process your title. ONCE you get your title and plates, THEN file a request.

But hey, if all it costs you is taxes twice (I HAVE PAID IT TWICE on one occasion), and that's your biggest problem? Consider yourself lucky. I spent almost ALL of one day attempting to get someone to actually FIGURE OUT HOW MUCH I OWED MY STATE. After about six hours, the boss just said, "You already paid Government Liquidation taxes, correct?"

"Yes sir".

"Then we will collect from them".

I paid everything else and left with plates in hand. Don't be short sighted over a couple of hundred bucks of taxes paid (twice) to keep you from getting title and plates. It's just not worth it. And trust me, the LAST thing you want to do is PISS OFF the DMV people. You have just entered upon the green path. I suspect this will NOT be the only truck you end up with. Getting to know the DMV people and being nice to them will be in your favor in the long run.

Last edited:

Diesel Pilot

Thanks for all the helpful info.

I'll get those manuals printed out (at work ;-)) and start pouring over them.

Looking forward to starting the work.

I'm about half way through the wait on the EUC, hopefully, but another 1-2 months for SF97aua. I guess it can be a farm and offroad rig until I can title it.

Thanks again guys
Craig