• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy - First post - Just picked up my M101A1!

DeadParrot

Keep in mind that given the age of these trailers, they probably have multiple coats of lead based paint. Please keep those young MV enthusiasts away while you do the paint/finish removal prep work.

Actually, blackout lamp research is a good sign.

18operator

175.jpgWelcome from Ohio! I have one of these wonderful trailers too. And it was made in 1968 also!
Use it for everything, firewood, camping, hauling building materials.
You will be very happy with it.

escher

Thanks for the welcome!

Got the corner markers installed tonight front and rear... sorry no pics! I was wiped out when I finished - long day!

I think I have decided on 235/85R16 Duratrac's for the tires with radial tubes - these will be 31" diameter. I run 33" Duratracs on my Jeep. With the Military tires (36" I believe) the trailer is still a few inches high - so I think the 31" tires will level it out more.

escher

I bit the bullet and ordered the correct military NDT tires (STA 900X16's from Unversal tire in PA)... along with tubes and flaps... that was painful, but I was very concerned with the tubeless tires wearing the tubes.

Regardless - I'll have this M101-A1 back in running condition inside of a week I hope!

escher

19620428563_e52388e30c_o.jpg19620432023_efe1d565d3_o.jpg20233117812_9fff48e2e2_o.jpg19618737614_4fe67dd282_o.jpg19620441293_991f5f51d2_o.jpg

Some pics finally! In the garage unfortunately...

Fabbed up the License plate bracket from some sheetmetal cut form a computer case and bedlined - also added a plate light on the bracket. New tires - STA NDT's, and DOT compatible lights at all corners.

escher

Sorry for the late reply - got back from vacation with the trailer on Sunday - Awesome!

I must say though - the JK is a bit of a pig on hills pulling all that weight... even with OD off, I had to tease it to downshift on hills so I wouldn't lose all my speed...

Trailer did excellent - and the new tires were awesome - even got her up around 70 a couple times as I lost track of myself... DOH!

MrsKlaw

If you are a member over at Wranglerforum, this may be a repeat for you, but I wanted to share here as I think you guys will appreciate this!

I've been looking into trailer options for my Jeep Unlimited for a few months - and in the interim I had built a small Harbor Freight utility trailer that I added a car-top carrier to... just to carry our luggage and such for vacation.

After my vacation, I knew my little homebrew trailer wasn't big enough and I started trying to decide what I was going to do - rebuild it and add a new larger axle, etc... or find something else and sell it...

Well - I happened upon this on Cragslist and made the 200 mile round trip after work Tuesday night... wasn't planned AT ALL - nothing like working late, grabbing a buddy and jumping in the jeep for an hour and a half dive one way...

All told - it took about 6 hours door to door with some wiring fab (borrowed the sellers magnet lights) and chatting. Made it home about 1am.

Here she is - M101A1 made in 1968. All the trimmings and in pristine condition... I mean PERFECT! I'm not going to talk price as I'm not sure if the seller is a member here... but He took good care of me.

View attachment 571688

It took about 50 miles to get over the initial "D@mn this thing is huge!!" jitters... but she drove nice and smooth at 65mph all the way home. Pintle hitch takes some getting used to - you have to get over the mental stress of the *CLUNK*... I got about 12mpg at just under 65mphwith OD off.. I get about 18.5mpg at the same speed unloaded (OD on).

View attachment 571689
Got it registered yesterday and I'll start the fun part now - playing and wiring and such! I'm so geeked..

I've never dealt with Military Surplus before and everything is so stinking massive and overbuilt.

I want to flip the lunette ring - but seriously - are you kidding me? I need to go buy a trailer hitch wrench to tackle the nut... but even the stinking cotter pin in the castle nut wont budge! I just watched a youtube vid of a guy flipping one and it took an oxyacetylene torch and 5 lb sledge to get it loose... I'm going to have to put on my big boy pants for this I think... lol!!

Anyways - put the kiddos to work sweeping it out.
View attachment 571690

View attachment 571691

They love it!

I think I'm going to fab up some bench seats and we will do some fun rides on the two tracks up at our cottage and maybe a hayride for church.

My brain is swimming with all the possiblities!

Thanks for the site - I've already read about 5 hours on these trailers and plan on even more as I get more into mine.
I just picked up my M101a2 yesterday. Do you have any updated pix of what you've done if any modifications?