• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new guy from central square, n.y.

joshuaz223

hi my names Roy. i live in central square, n.y. which is pretty much the center of the state. did 15 years in the navy working on aircraft electronics and other weapons. was a weldor and heavy equipment repairman before that. after the navy i worked as an electrician and factory maint. then went into maint management.

4 years ago i developed a rare form of cancer and have been disabled and basically waiting to die ever since. but i refuse to go easy and so far i am 3 1/2 years past my expiration date. so much for the medical profession.

i have always wanted a military vehicle and have been into 4x4s for a long time so i have decided to build a duce. nothing new or crazy to you guys but most of my family thinks i'm crazy. my youngest son is also disabled due to a bad car accident and he has been wanting to do the same thing with a couple different ideas. now i have to decide if we are going to do two builds or just agree on a goal that will suit us both. i'm leaning towards two builds as i don't want to share. i also think two would only be a little harder than one.

i want a crew cab with singles and one rear axle, short dump bed with a crane in front of the bed, cummins isl and allison six speed, winch,power steering and air. my son wants two rear axles and no dump bed.

i have a pretty complete garage with field and shop mig, tig and stick up to 400 amps and a medium sized plasma. i also have a small machine shop with two lathes, three milling machines, surface grinder, large band saw, heat treating oven and hand tools. i do cabinetry also and have a pretty nice wood shop but dont see a lot of use for that on a duce. i also have all the abuse tools porta powers, come-alongs, torch and sledge.

my question is how should i start. should i get a running vehicle and start from there or get a chassis and build it? what is the best method of purchase? gov liquidation or shop around. i would like to have some parts on hand before winter so that i can work inside after the snow starts. any good or bad years?

thanks for any and all help. and if any one is close by and needs something machined or fabed feel free to contact me. i love to play with my tools and show other people how

Chevytruck

id get a cheap parts deuce, since your going to take everything apart. but if you want a running one those go about 2k without winch. 3k with winch. good luck! and welcome to the site! :-D

joshuaz223

well it's taken a while but i have made my first step. won an a2 auction at fort drum. have been trying for a while and finally got one. wanted a winch but they are rare at drums auctions. now the paperwork begins.

joshuaz223

well i pick the truck up on monday. got the cleared EUC on the 18th but the GL guy at drum is off this week. i will make sure to get some pics of the deuce and recovery. My brother drives truck and haules rail equipment on a specially built landoll trailer with rails recessed into the deck. he backs onto the tracks and pulls the exuipment right onto the trailer. will also haul anything else that will fit on the trailer.

LanceRobson

well i pick the truck up on monday. got the cleared EUC on the 18th but the GL guy at drum is off this week. i will make sure to get some pics of the deuce and recovery. My brother drives truck and haules rail equipment on a specially built landoll trailer with rails recessed into the deck. he backs onto the tracks and pulls the exuipment right onto the trailer. will also haul anything else that will fit on the trailer.
Hello Josh

Good luck with the pick up. Please take note of the big signs at all the Fort Drum gates that list the dos and don'ts. One of the things you agree when you enter the installation to is to not take any pictures on post. They have been known to get downright cranky over the issue. Remember it is a major military installation and we are at war.

Lance

PS Thank you for your service and sacrifice.

Last edited:

joshuaz223

here's some pics of her getting home. not many problems i didn't notice at first. it was -26 when i picked it up and the batteries were frozen solid. there is no brake pedal at all and the hood hinges are broken. transfer case switch is gone but thats the only thing missing from the inside. parking brake works well and all the tires including the spare are in real good shape. it was painted with a brush last time it was painted. when it warms up a little i will get looking at the brakes and charge up the batts. will keep post up to date.

Attachments

Punisher666

Good luck with the project(s). Im over near Utica so if you need help or insight feel free to give me a shout on here. Id be more than happy to help out in any way I can

joshuaz223

well i got some new batteries and checked the fluids. was about 5 deg. took about 5 starting attempts but it rumbled to life. took about 3 min to pick up all the cylinders. i was impressed figured i would have to add some 911 and ether it. it hasn't ran in over a year according to the guy at GL.the transfer case engagement switch is missing so i put a coupling in the line. then i tried to pull it out of the snow bank it was in. no dice even with the front engaged the ndt's just spun. guess i will have to shovel and try again. next is bleeding the brakes to see if they work. need to get it out of the snow bank first.

joshuaz223

he couldn't be from sandy pond. i have a friend from there and he say's only inbred rednecks live there. that was about 20 years ago though and maybe the area has gone down hill.:p

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks