• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy from GA

sarbona

Hello, my name is Stephen and I live in Covington, GA. I have been lurking for a couple weeks, reading tons of posts. I spent 5 years in the Army driving an M931A2. I am in the market for my first MV, just can't decide what to get. My wife thinks I am crazy but says to get whatever I want. :D

Bill W

Welcome from Brooks,Ga
Check Atlanta Craigslist search under "Military" I found mt 5ton and deuce there

TaylorTradingCo

Another welcome from Ringgold, GA. I have over two dozen trucks and nearly as many trailers in stock up here, so you can look at a good variety of stuff. I have project trucks or trucks ready to drive out the gate. I also have tons of parts from trucks we had to cut up. Come up and see us sometime.

Derek Taylor
423-255-6509
Taylor Trading Co.

sarbona

Thanks for the warm welcome. I would love to have a 5 ton bobtail, but I couldn't use it to pick up mulch and dirt and wood and all the other stuff I seem to be constantly buying from Lowe's. Sometimes I think I help keep them in business, with as much money I spend there. Do you need a CDL in GA to drive a 5 ton?

TaylorTradingCo

From what i understand you do need a CDL to drive a 5-ton, but not a 2 1/2-ton truck. The 2 1/2-ton Deuce trucks only weigh around 13,000# and are rated for a 5,000# payload, so they total out to 18,000# max, which is well under the 26,000# CDL limit. They also only have one fuel tank and are not full air braked, but air over hydraulic.

The five tons have dual fuel tanks and are over the weight limit too.

The only advantage to the 5-ton is the power steering. Personally to me, it is not a big deal and I like the multi-fuel motors better than the Cummins. That is why I started collecting these things anyway, because of that awesome motor that can run on anything.

Derek Taylor

sarbona

Thanks for the information Derek, I guess that kind of narrows down my search to the Duece.

It's strange that the truck I will probably end up getting is the one truck I hated will I was AD. We only had one Duece, and everybody hated it. We only used it when our Platoon Seargent made us drive it.

Derek, I would like to come up to Ringgold and check out your trucks sometime. I am currently on a job in Omaha, NE. But will be home the first week of April, for vacation.

Thanks,
Stephen

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
It's strange that the truck I will probably end up getting is the one truck I hated will I was AD. We only had one Duece, and everybody hated it. We only used it when our Platoon Seargent made us drive it.

Why did you guys all hate the deuce? What was the alternative?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Make sure to mark your calendar for the SS Ga. Rally in October.
Yea!!!!!What Clinto said. If you don't make that rally you will have missed the most fun you can have without taking off your clothes (well...we're not too sure about what some of the guys do after dark).

We will have an MKT set up and will be cooking all the old military favorites....S.O.S., Chili Mac and the ever popular "mystery meats". The rumors about possums are totally false....trust me. :twisted:

Come with or without an MV...if you don't have one by then someone will sell you theirs.

I will also give an unabashed plug for Derek at TaylorTradingCo.......I have been to his new "Showroom" and he will put wheels under you for a decent price.

We have been trading back and forth for a while and he is a great guy to do biz with.

Welcome to the Green Iron Loony Bin.:cookoo:

sarbona

"Why did you guys all hate the deuce? What was the alternative?"

We had 3 M931A2 5 Ton bobtails, and 2 M923A2 5 Ton Cargo trucks and 2 M998 HMMWV's. So there was always something with power steering to drive. Personally I loved driving the Bobtail, I would take it everywhere. If I had to evac some radios to Depot for repair, I would load them up on the passenger floor board and roll out.

The GA rally sounds great, hopefully I will have a Duece by then, but if I don't I will try to came as well.

airmech3839

Welcome from Augusta, GA!!! Get them all!!! it will save decssion time and you can drive one while the others are in the shop!! Oh and build a big shop too!! and buy big tools!!! hehehehe:mrgreen:

welcome to the crazy farm:cookoo:

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
From what i understand you do need a CDL to drive a 5-ton, but not a 2 1/2-ton truck. The 2 1/2-ton Deuce trucks only weigh around 13,000# and are rated for a 5,000# payload, so they total out to 18,000# max, which is well under the 26,000# CDL limit. They also only have one fuel tank and are not full air braked, but air over hydraulic.

The five tons have dual fuel tanks and are over the weight limit too.

The only advantage to the 5-ton is the power steering. Personally to me, it is not a big deal and I like the multi-fuel motors better than the Cummins. That is why I started collecting these things anyway, because of that awesome motor that can run on anything.

Derek Taylor
Welcome from Warner Robins area.

I was told that you don't need a CDL if its not for commercial use, that only a class "A" licence was required, i have not personally checked on that yet but have been meaning to. Oh, and the deuce is rated to haul 10,000# hwy, 5,000# cross country, but that still only brings you up to 23,000#.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks