• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy from Hawaii

In2Fords

Been lurking for a few months, if it wasn't for this site I wouldn't have pulled the trigger on the m1078, thank you for the resources.

I've always been a bit of a gearhead, built mustang's, jeeps, Broncos, rangers....
This will be my intro to mv ownership, although I did drive the lmtv in the Marines years ago.

My wife's family is in the pnw, and I really like it there so we're plan on going for a couple months a year. when shopping for an 4wd rv, we like to go up a lot of forest service roads, and how cheap the lmtv's are in Hawaii, I figured I could make something work.....
So I'm currently on the euc list, only 2 weeks in....
The immediate plan is the obvious, service everything, get it in good shape, maybe do the e150 jump seats or what ever to get 4 seats in the cab, build a cradle for a slide in camper to go in the bed.
The longer term goal is to build a habitat, but that will have to wait a while.

Hope to learn lots, thanks, Jeremy

In2Fords

Haha, yeah, waiting for the euc to clear, I'm on my 2nd week so another couple months.......
I'll bring it to my house on the other side of the island, clear out the bugs, remove the bed and prep it to ship to Oregon.
So far I know it needs batteries, jump starts but won't restart on it's own, and the right rear brake is caged, there is a leak somewhere.... all should be easy, I hope

In2Fords

I can post the pics from gp but it might make people cry seeing the winning bid price.....
Let's put it this way, the credit card fees were easy less then my bank charges for a wire transfer.......

In2Fords

I buy from Hawaii often and know it's a steal until you try to get it home...only your home is much closer. Haha! Congrats on the winning.
Haha, yeah, I seen that c7 1079 you picked up, nicest one I've seen from here!!
I'm hoping with it registered and no bed it's a bit cheaper, I'm hoping for $2k instead of 4, I think if I kneel the suspension it should help.......

In2Fords

OK, haven't been able to do a update yet BUT, it's home!
I got the email a few weeks ago that the euc cleared.
I took a Friday off and headed to the yard, I knew it started with jump but wouldn't restart without jump and it had a air leak some where and 1 of the rear cans were caged.....
So I loaded up my tools, battery charger/ car starter and generator, headed across the island and get to my truck.
While at the yard the manager was cool with me getting it road worthy and had a jump truck for me to use.
There is a guy that buys 30-40 trucks at a time and ships them to Costa Rico for farm work, lucky for me he was there.
Truck wouldn't start, checked all the electrical, signal was getting to the starter, it just wouldn't turn over, but I kept thinking, it did before, why not now? Hit it while cranking with a rubber mallet, still nothing, got to the end of the day and no luck.....
Manager let's me know that they are working the one and only Saturday they ever worked so this other guy could get all his trucks and I can come back....
Awesome, I get an extra day to figure this out. ..
My buddy and I head over first thing, we try to pull the solenoid off starter but nothing.. it was clean in side but still nothing, spent 6 hours trying to get it to bump and couldn't get it to do anything....
I finally ask the costa Rico buyer if he'll sell me a starter, he takes the time to come to my truck, look thru all the relays and wiring and confirms its the starter....
He agrees to sell me one off one of his trucks, too me 15 minutes to drop my starter, I notice there's no silicone on connections and bolts are finger tight....... I'm assuming yard pirate since it started for me no problem just 1 month earlier, but I realy can't be certain.....
I pull a starter of one of his trucks. Hand him $350 and my mom working starter and install it in my truck. Total time to do 2 starters and reinstall 1 was about 45 minutes!
Truck started on the first crank!
The drier had been pushed up somehow, pushed it back down, reattached line going to tanks and air pressure built right up!
Upon fluid checks I found all good except trans...
It's milky yellow......
I'm assuming heat exchanger, it's possible some one dumped in coolant in fill tube but really no way to test....
There's also a dent in front driveshaft....
Drive 37 miles home just great once I realized that front shaft didn't like going over 47 mph......

So, I plan on buying a non running truck for parts, trans heat exchanger, driveshaft, tires, turret opening cover, spare alternator and starter and what ever else i can strip off it.

So, it's home, it's running and it's safe, now time to start repairs. 20200408_181504.jpg20200328_150137.jpg

m715mike

Howdy from Texas. Welcome to the site and congratulations on your acquisition! And thank you for your service!

Getting your truck home made for quite the experience. Thanks for sharing the story.

What part of the island do you live on? I was born in Honolulu and lived in Kailua as a kid. My mom lives on Maui now.

In2Fords

Howdy from Texas. Welcome to the site and congratulations on your acquisition! And thank you for your service!

Getting your truck home made for quite the experience. Thanks for sharing the story.

What part of the island do you live on? I was born in Honolulu and lived in Kailua as a kid. My mom lives on Maui now.
Aloha, I love in Hauula, east side just before Polynesian cultural center/ by
I like kailua, I am born and raised Kahaluu to Hauula. I joined the Marines out of high school to get some world travel, then got stationed in kaneohe :D

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awesome results! You've got the itch for sure now!! If you want to get your hands dirty I can get you to work on my trucks before they ship out haha!

In2Fords

Awesome results! You've got the itch for sure now!! If you want to get your hands dirty I can get you to work on my trucks before they ship out haha!
Yes, I do, this will be a fun ride but I'm thinking it's filled my plate up for now.
We have 2.5yo twins, I'm the install manager for the company I work at and I'm on my last year of school, about to grad the 5 year school to get my electrical journeyman school, we have 4 dwellings on our property, 2 rental tenants, my mother's house and ours, that I have to do the up keep on......
We keep busy :D this truck is for us time, get out to family and out to the mountains just for our sanity.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks