• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new guy from iowa. i got a few questions

the09phoenix

i recently acquired a 5 ton truck. its an AMC M818 WO/W 6X6 it has the 290 Cummins diesel. that i have been playing in the mud and snow with it but nothing beyond that. i have had a few questioins about the data plates. i don't know where they are. can any one help me as to where they are or what they are talking about.

flygirl

Welcome to the site, 09Phoenix. On my M37, the data plates are located on the passenger's side of the dash -- not sure about the M818.

Any pics?:jumpin::jumpin:

the09phoenix

yea here are a couple the exterior are shortly after a mud run last fall. the dash ones are well tonight. snow on the windows. i actually have the steering wheel off and in my dining room right now.

Attachments

dozer1

Welcome 09. Where are you in Northern Iowa? I am not far from Austin, Mn. You probably meant it has a 250 Cummins and there is a plate on the front lower right area of the engine. In front of the air compressor pump I believe.

flygirl

It could be riveted to the edge of the front gear housing the left side of the engine, but check with the guys who really know about this stuff. I am a newbie M37 owner and still learning things soooo many new things about my own truck.2cents

Let us know what you find out.

the09phoenix

i suppose it could be a 250 all i do know for sure right now is it is a big big 6 cyl diesel. and it moves this massive truck at a really slow speed. and thanks for the location. btw not far from the algona area.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard.

About the only way it could be a 290 is if it was some super special build in the first place or someone changed the engine. Otherwise it's a 250 Cummins. I've never heard of a 290 Cummins.

As for big, I agree with that. :)

the09phoenix

ok, so i am sitting here looking at the picture i took and the title and the vins are the same and the title says its an 85. i also see where you get 71 from but i am curious how you did the vin decode. and can i get a screen cap of it or get my own copy.