• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy from Kennewick, WA M1079

parkinson6wa

Hey guys. I am new to the forum here. I think I am going to be frequenting this site. I just acquired an LMTV M1079. That is the S&S 4x4 cargo van truck. My plan is to convert it into an expedition vehicle.

I have a question in regards to the CTIS. All five ecu indicator lights flash, and it doesn't appear to cycle between terrains. I have read some online, and it seems there may be a leak in the channel somewhere, causing the system to stop. Has anyone had any experience with this and have some advice? And if I am unable to correct the issue, does anyone know if large truck mechanics are familiar enough with CTIS the diagnose and fix the issue?

Thanks guys. Any help is appreciated.

Chris

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chris,

Welcome from a former Yakima resident and fellow S&S owner. You can research the CTIS system on here (I believe the manual may actually be in the TMs) but I doubt a general large truck outfit will have any experience with the CTIS system unless their mechanic is former military. All 5 lights flashing could also be a bad controller. Does the unit do anything at all? If not, it might be a good idea to simply unplug the electrical connector from the controller mounted on the heater. You don't want something to go haywire and tell the system to dump the tire pressure and then not be able to air the tires back up (ok if you're in your driveway but not real good if you're driving down the road). With it unplugged you can air the tires up to highway pressure and be able to get it around if you need to move it to a shop.

parkinson6wa

Thanks for the welcome guys!
Mkcoen I did unplug the control unit, then plugged it back in, hoping to reset something but that didn't help. The unit was set to sand when the driver loaded it on the trailer. He said he set it to hwy when he took it off the trailer. Now it just does the 5 flashing lights. Not sure where to start in the search for an air leak. Is there a location more common than others for a leak to occur?

Last edited:

Ari3sgr3gg0

Welcome from Benton City, WA. If you suspest air leaks get a bottle with soapy water and start spraying down connectors. That's the easiest way to find any air leaks.

parkinson6wa

Thanks for the advice. Good to know there is a fellow members so close! Do you know much about the CTIS system? My rear quick release valve is exhausting a significant amount of air, during inflation mode. I think this may be causing the ctis to shut down and show the 5 flashing lights on the ECU.

cybindustries

Air all your tires up to 55psi start the truck and the CTIS lights should stop flashing. Then try and change modes that worked on one of our trucks

Lmtv772

Banned
Thanks for the advice. Good to know there is a fellow members so close! Do you know much about the CTIS system? My rear quick release valve is exhausting a significant amount of air, during inflation mode. I think this may be causing the ctis to shut down and show the 5 flashing lights on the ECU.
There is a diaphragm in the truck protection valve. it's a thick rubber disk if it tears it will release the air it the rate you described. Easy fix

srodocker

Welcome! Im on the wet side in lacey! You come over on this side much? Should check out our PNW Threads and PNW Steel Soldiers Facebook page. The next event is at fort worden in port townsend, which I know is a very long haul for you but figured I would mention it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks